It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

NSA/Big Data predicted in 1978? The BBC's "Connections" Series with James Burke.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 6 2015 @ 06:19 AM
link   
Morning ATS and apologies if this has been posted before. I did search but the references I could find to these Series didn't mention this particular clip.

While reminiscing about the "good old days" recently a friend reminded of me the Connections Series with James Burke. I vaguely remembered them and decided to revisit my Youth.

While watching a few episodes late one night, checking if they were suitable for my 11 year old Stepdaughter's viewing I nearly choked on my Gin when James (remember this was in 1978) commented on Computerising Information ...

"...and that is Power, but in Whose Hands."

Spurred on by this I did some digging and it seems this Chaps has been at the forefront of such thinking since the early 70s ...

"In an article for the Radio Times in 1973 Burke predicted the widespread use of computers for business decisions, the creation of metadata banks of personal information, and changes in human behaviour, such as greater willingness to reveal personal information to strangers."

Watch the first 2 minutes of the Vimeo link then have a look at His appearance in Sacramento in 2009.

Cheers.

vimeo.com...
www.youtube.com...
en.wikipedia.org...(science_historian)

posted on Jun, 6 2015 @ 06:58 AM
link   
a reply to: Cymru

Technocracy / Global Transformation — PATRICK M. WOOD has written substantially on the subject . James Burke would fit into one of the people working behind the scenes . This podcast by James Corbett with Patrick Wood is worth a listen to . " Today we talk to “Technocracy Rising” author Patrick Wood about the hidden history of technocracy, the dark plan for a resource-based economy that is being pushed by the Trilateral Commission, the UN, and other globalist institutions in order to bring about a completely managed, controlled and regulated society." www.corbettreport.com...

This is a good yt explanation on the new world order or the NWO they seem to be working at .

This is a interesting interview with James Burke

edit on 6-6-2015 by the2ofusr1 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 6 2015 @ 07:07 AM
link   
a reply to: the2ofusr1

Thanks for that. I'd just finished watching that Interview as well

posted on Jun, 6 2015 @ 10:06 AM
link   
a reply to: the2ofusr1

I just finished the video "the Trilateral Commission and Technocracy. It is an excellent explanation presented in a straightforward manner. That greater helped me (a novice at this business) to understand the various mechanisms that are going on full-speed in our world today.

posted on Jun, 6 2015 @ 09:14 PM
link   
We knew all of this was going to happen since the 1980's. Big Data originally started out with punch readers in the 1950's. Every product for sale would have a punched card in the box. When the item as sold, the sales assistant would collect the punch card and place it in a monthly sale list. Then the box of punch cards would be sent to head office and the totals collated by a mainframe. That system replaced the rooms full of clerks and supervisors. The executives could see what items were selling and which weren't. That information would be sent to sales, marketing and purchases. Governments would use a similar system to do planning. Then that system was replaced with "microprocessors" like the Z80 and 6502.

Britain was in a panic back in the 1980's with "The Coming of the Microchip" (that's a title of a book as well). They saw that these little wafers of silicon would create massive changes in the job market where manual jobs would be replaced with automated systems. The following video really summarizes the situation up well back then (Now the Chips are Down).

posted on Jun, 6 2015 @ 09:16 PM
link   
Anyone ever read Heinlein's story, Friday?
Not as early as the article in the OP but a perfect projection of the 'net.

posted on Jun, 6 2015 @ 09:18 PM
link   
Loved that series! Awesome stuff. Thanks for the post. That is all

posted on Jun, 7 2015 @ 10:00 PM
link   
a reply to: Aliensun

Patrick Wood the speaker in that vid wrote with Anthony Sutton

Antony Sutton has been persecuted but never prosecuted for his research and subsequent publishing of his findings. His mainstream career was shattered by his devotion towards uncovering the truth. In 1968, his Western Technology and Soviet Economic Development was published by The Hoover Institute at Stanford University. Sutton showed how the Soviet state's technological and manufacturing base, which was then engaged in supplying the North Vietnamese the armaments and supplies to kill and wound American soldiers, was built by US firms and mostly paid for by the US taxpayers. From their largest steel and iron plant, to automobile manufacturing equipment, to precision ball-bearings and computers, basically the majority of the Soviet's large industrial enterprises had been built with the United States help or technical assistance.
www.antonysutton.com... Tragedy and Hope, subtitled "A History of the World in Our Time", is an epic and scholarly work of history written by Carroll Quigley .There is a web site dedicated to his book and has a ton of good info there on whats been going on www.tragedyandhope.com... well worth checking out

new topics

top topics

join