It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Do you have a sick mind, or are these images just extremely inappropriate?

page: 2
<< 1    3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 6 2015 @ 01:18 AM
link   
a reply to: aboutface

Must I post this again?

Nyiah stated it perfectly when they said: a lot of these books are quite old. Some, as an owner of several antique books, are easily recognizable as pushing the vintage age to nearly antique as it is.

Today, yes, they're dirty jokes if you make them so. Back in the day, not so much. Differences in meanings have cropped up over time, stereotypes are more set in stone, etc.

If these were all published now, I would agree with you. But, the fact is, these images are both out of context, and also in some cases decades old.

Feel as abused by this thread as you wish, but there was no intention of doing that. If you really are as insulted as you come of as being, then you need to take a step back and really analyze what these images are of. They aren't little tid-bits that someone drew up and put on the internet, they are a single page in a book that when viewed out of context SEEMS inappropriate.

PS: Am I allowed to use the word "Analyze" with you? It contains a specific word that may be deemed inappropriate if you pick it apart and take it out of context.

edit on 6/6/15 by Ghost147 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 6 2015 @ 01:30 AM
link   
a reply to: Ghost147

Some of the books may be older, but my complaint is not the age of the books, but rather the subject matter of the thread.

posted on Jun, 6 2015 @ 01:33 AM
link   

omg I laughed so hard I threw up

posted on Jun, 6 2015 @ 01:33 AM
link   

edit on 6-6-2015 by MimiSia because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 6 2015 @ 01:53 AM
link   
Ha halirious, I love the first pic, I remember growing up with Dick and Fanny kids book, now in America I understand fanny means your rear end? But where I am it means the front bit that makes a girl a girl. It also reminds me of all the racist and sexist books I grew up with like Enid Blyton books and Captain Pugwash with a character called Seamen Stains. My uncle keeps trying to get his kids stories published but they keep getting turned down as they have no moral. I must check out the link for a few more laughs.

posted on Jun, 6 2015 @ 01:58 AM
link   
Ahhh how times have changed . Once upon a time i used to be gay , i guess now i am just happy .

posted on Jun, 6 2015 @ 02:05 AM
link   
a reply to: hutch622

golden gay time hey
yummy my favorite drumstick lol

what a world

posted on Jun, 6 2015 @ 02:32 AM
link   

posted on Jun, 6 2015 @ 02:43 AM
link   
a reply to: MimiSia

A fellow Aussie perhaps ???? . Sorry but the golden gaytime gives it away . Lol .

posted on Jun, 6 2015 @ 02:51 AM
link   
a reply to: hutch622

lol hint

I laughed when Ben Cousins was arrested again. Aussie yes and no ..

posted on Jun, 6 2015 @ 02:53 AM
link   
a reply to: aboutface

I strongly disagree with you, it is appropriate that the past is analysed . As a child of the early 60's (Yeah i am old) it is good to be reminded of the morale's that my forefathers had, i, as a child never picked up on these images, right now, i can see them for what they are, yeah in 2015 disgusting.

Get off your high horse and take a history lesson, back when i was a kid paedo's were called "Strangers"

This was a Government Public Information Film from the early 70's. Yes, Government! even they knew how rife it was back then
edit on 2015-06-06T03:24:07-05:002015Sat, 06 Jun 2015 03:24:07 -0500bSaturday2406America/Chicago153 by corblimeyguvnor because: clarification of youtube clip

posted on Jun, 6 2015 @ 02:58 AM
link   
It is an example of how the PC crowd want to take offense at everything, take something way out of context and / or the time it was written.

Tom Sawyer was written in a time when certain words were used by society. Trying to ban the books is the same as trying to re-write history to clean it up.

Hollywood does a great deal of this. The last Robin Hood movie I watched had an almost 30 year old Maid Marion and that was just silly. In the era the story is set in, a 'Maiden' was around 12 to 16 years old. At 30, she would have been a Spinster. But to put the truth into the movie would give the PC crowd a collective heart attack. This would be a good thing BTW.

Not accepting the past and looking for offense is all too common. Yes, in the 50s and 60s we had larger families and yes, children did sometimes sleep together, 3 or 4 to a double bed all head to toe. It was just a very common and sensible practice. As children we never thought the thoughts that today's idiots seem to think.

There are just some people out there that deliberately look for something that they can declare smutty while standing up as upstanding (insert religion here).

Even today, at my house, I have had mixed sleepovers with teens all sleeping on the same surface. What difference does it make if it is a bed or a floor. They do not see it as a sexual situation so why should I and of course, what bloody business is it of yours.

The people that complain loudly are often those with intense mental sexual dysfunction that have no room for the fact that children are not about to engage in wild orgies.

As a counselor I have dealt with some real whacky individuals. "My neighbor lets a boy dog sleep on her daughters bed. I think I should report her. You never know what the dog and child may get up to!"

It is thinking like this that is at the core of some of societies general dysfunction and some of our societies are dysfunctional.

It is all a down hill slide from here.

P

posted on Jun, 6 2015 @ 03:10 AM
link   
a reply to: MimiSia

So you are not a weagles fan then ? .

posted on Jun, 6 2015 @ 03:12 AM
link   
a reply to: pheonix358

Well said . Star .

posted on Jun, 6 2015 @ 04:31 AM
link   

originally posted by: corblimeyguvnor

Get off your high horse and take a history lesson, back when i was a kid paedo's were called "Strangers"

They may have been called "Strangers" but more often than not they

were "family" members or "friends" ... known to the families.

Oh and some were *trusted* and *respected* scout leaders or clergy!!!

posted on Jun, 6 2015 @ 10:02 AM
link   
Yes & No.
As said Old and in there time would have been fine.
Now days ... not so much.

posted on Jun, 6 2015 @ 10:51 AM
link   

If you were a child you wouldn't know what the hell you were looking at, However the illustrators would be well aware of what they were doing.

As a child I never understood the subtle sexual innuendo hidden in cartoons like the Simpsons, but as I grew older I understood them. There will be Helen Lovejoys that will call these cartoons and illustrations profane but will not allow their children to see a diagram of sexual organs because it is too confronting.

I was allowed to read Tintin comics as a child and they had drug traffickers and racial stereotypes...Yet sex ed was deadly serious. Some folks prudish behavior is misdirected.

posted on Jun, 6 2015 @ 12:02 PM
link   

It's a common theme because children's material is designed for both the kids and the parents reading it to them or watching it with them. First rule of writing is to know your audience, after all.

I've had a lot of fun watching cartoons from when I was growing up, now as an adult. Some of them are just blatantly skewed towards an adult audience. Pretty much every adult theme you can think of too, not just sexual innuendo.

posted on Jun, 6 2015 @ 12:14 PM
link   

Considering these had to be blessed by a team of people before publication...

posted on Jun, 6 2015 @ 12:28 PM
link   

It takes a sick mind to think these images are inappropriate. These are books for children.

top topics

<< 1    3  4 >>

join