It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Help ATS via PayPal:
learn more

Mexico and Canada seek $3bn sanctions against US over meat

page: 2
<< 1   >>

posted on Jun, 6 2015 @ 01:04 PM

originally posted by: DontTreadOnMe
Why would it make Mexican and Canadian meat more expensive?
I have read much about this since starting the thread and from what I can gather it is that Canada and Mexico do not label the country of origin while the US does.
Canada & Mexico appear to believe that US consumers are more likely to buy "US Beef" products over theirs due to this labeling.
As Can/Mex need to implement food labeling systems to have parity with the US they argue that these costs will be passed on to their final product, thus making it more expensive.

Please correct me if I am wrong but that is how I'm seeing it so far.
Here's a couple of links I've been trawling through, but they are not easy reading by any means:
WTO Dispute - United States — Certain Country of Origin Labelling (COOL) Requirements

Statement by Canadian Ministers Fast and Ritz on U.S. Country of Origin Labelling

Now if what I am reading is correct I have to wonder why the hell does Canada and Mexico not provide their citizens the information about where their meat comes from? (We've done it for years in the UK)
I also wonder, if that is the crux of their case, that labeling similar to that carried out by the US is expensive to implement, then an earlier posters claim that Canada is just whining seems quite accurate to me.

I thought all developed nations informed their citizens where their food comes from?

...again though, please correct me if I'm wrong, I'm finding the whole thing rather fascinating.
Oh and check out the list at the bottom of the second link, it shows the products to be targeted in the sanctions, and yep, maple sugar and maple syrup is on there!

edit on 6.6.2015 by grainofsand because: Typo

posted on Jun, 6 2015 @ 01:12 PM

originally posted by: infolurker
a reply to: grainofsand

It means stop foreign aid and screw them

Made in USA stickers is not illegal. Though if they press the case, Monsanto will sue everyone with a Non-GMO tag worldwide.

This is a fight about "labeling" that we don't want them to win.

I for one like "country of origin" labels. I don't want to eat Chinese poison laced crap.

Country of origin is how I shop........Made in China.....Keep looking I do not want cheaply made slave labor chemical laced crap. I do not want to eat anything coming out of Mexico.....Dirty nasty place with sub par health standards. If Canada was smart they would just slap a made up north sticker on it and consumers like me would buy it up.

I want to see that tag.

posted on Jun, 6 2015 @ 01:24 PM
a reply to: SubTruth

So that's really all it is about, the US labels 'country of origin' but Mexico and Canada don't so they are whining it is unfair?
The real scandal to me is that Canadian citizens do not have the choice to buy food and know where it came from.
I'm genuinely shocked if that's all the Canadian government is bleating about.

I was sort of on the side of Canada & Mexico prior to reading the details, as I thought to resort to sanctions they must have a reasonable case. But now I say go USA, any country denying it's citizens information about where their food comes from should be ashamed of itself these days.

posted on Jun, 6 2015 @ 09:04 PM
a reply to: grainofsand

Even worse.

If they win.

You think Monsanto won't sue the # out of foreign governments who want to tag GMO or not allow it in their country.

posted on Jun, 7 2015 @ 08:46 AM
a reply to: infolurker

They will have a fight in the UK.
GM crops have only been grown experimentally here, and even then they are attacked by protesters.
They have so far never been grown commercially and there is a ban currently in place. Imported GM commodities such as soya are allowed for animal feed but that is pretty much it.
UK Government statement:

We’ll only agree to the planting of GM crops, the release of other types of GM organism, or the marketing of GM food or feed products, if a robust risk assessment indicates that it is safe for people and the environment. GM product applications should be assessed for safety on a case-by-case basis, taking full account of the scientific evidence.

We’ll ensure consumers are able to exercise choice through clear GM labelling rules and the provision of suitable information, and will listen to public views about the development and use of the technology.

I don't doubt it will happen in my lifetime but it really will be a tough fought battle and the government know it. The depth of feeling against GM food here is strong and the policing bill would be massive just protecting the GM crop fields from activists.
One thing is sure though, if/when we have GM foodstuffs in our stores then they will be labeled clearly so us consumers can make that choice ourselves. Monsanto and others will have to spend billions on marketing to change British minds towards buying GM food, and even lower prices won't make much of a difference.
Eggs from caged hens are cheap, but the overwhelming choice of UK consumers is to buy the more expensive barn raised or free range eggs.

I say bring it on Monsanto, this is the UK and we do things differently here.
edit on 7.6.2015 by grainofsand because: Typo

top topics
<< 1   >>