It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Mexico and Canada seek $3bn sanctions against US over meat

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 5 2015 @ 02:46 PM
link   
www.bbc.co.uk...

Mexico and Canada have called a meeting with the World Trade Organisation (WTO) to request the right to impose sanctions on the US, worth $3bn (£2bn).
The move is in retaliation to US meat-labelling rules, which the two countries say discriminate against them.
The WTO has already upheld a ruling in favour of Canada and Mexico, saying the rules treated them less favourably.
The US said it would object to the measures being imposed.

Just saw this and I'm intrigued, how do sanctions against friendly neighbours work?
The only sanctions I've read about recently have of course been Russia/EU/US, and that is obviously a much more serious regional issue about Ukraine. So what's the next step if the sanctions don't work?
Canadian and Mexican troops massing at the borders? Men in uniforms with no insignia controlling border towns?
...or is it just a storm in a teacup lol

I've no dog in this fight so will probably not get involved much further than reading, but the story really really interested me and I'd love to see a good exchange between Canadians/Mexicans, and US members about these sanctions and who is right or wrong.
The more robust yet reasoned the debate is the better, so please help educate a Brit about the coming meat conflict of North America.

Thanks in advance,
GoS.

posted on Jun, 5 2015 @ 02:58 PM
link   
a reply to: grainofsand

It means stop foreign aid and screw them

Made in USA stickers is not illegal. Though if they press the case, Monsanto will sue everyone with a Non-GMO tag worldwide.

This is a fight about "labeling" that we don't want them to win.

I for one like "country of origin" labels. I don't want to eat Chinese poison laced crap.

I want to see that tag.
edit on 5-6-2015 by infolurker because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 5 2015 @ 03:04 PM
link   
a reply to: infolurker

Ah, so it's about labeling the country of origin?
I completely agree, it's been the law here in the UK for years.
I won't buy beef from Argentina, but that is another story of course.

*Edit*
Am I right in thinking then that US companies are importing crappy meat from China, giving it a US sticker, then selling it on at a higher price, or something like that?
Sanctions seem serious, I wonder how the US could respond.
edit on 5.6.2015 by grainofsand because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 5 2015 @ 03:09 PM
link   
I say the U.S. imposes sanctions on Canada and Mexico for being whiners.

posted on Jun, 5 2015 @ 03:10 PM
link   

originally posted by: grainofsand

Do you have a free trade agreement with Argentina?

posted on Jun, 5 2015 @ 03:12 PM
link   
a reply to: amicktd

I actually did chuckle then
...but if they are talking about sanctions with UN approval they sound like they mean business, two borders to defend, should the US worry?!

posted on Jun, 5 2015 @ 03:13 PM
link   

originally posted by: amicktd
I say the U.S. imposes sanctions on Canada and Mexico for being whiners.

I know that it's not right to expect the US to live up to its agreements but "whiners"? Secondly:

The WTO has already upheld a ruling in favour of Canada and Mexico, saying the rules treated them less favourably.

See?

posted on Jun, 5 2015 @ 03:14 PM
link   

originally posted by: intrepid

We import and export to each other and charge tariffs.
Nothing 'free trade' like the UK and the EU.
What ya thinking?

posted on Jun, 5 2015 @ 03:14 PM
link   

I can tell you from first hand experience that this is BS. When the COO labeling standards were changed, I had to add a field for storing the COO in our database for meat accounts and add it to receiving and shipping documents. That was the extent of the change in terms of logistics.

What they're concerned about is that retail buyers (because the wholesalers already know the COO when they buy meat) might be more inclined to purchase meat produced in the US. 80%+ of the US beef industry is controlled by four companies: JBS, Cargill, National Beef and Tyson.

Also, $3 billion in terms of international trade is kind of a drop in the bucket, so there won't be any troops amassing.

posted on Jun, 5 2015 @ 03:16 PM
link   
a reply to: intrepid

Yea I know, I read the article. My comment was an attempt at a joke. Hence the

posted on Jun, 5 2015 @ 03:16 PM
link   

originally posted by: intrepid

We import and export to each other and charge tariffs.
Nothing 'free trade' like the UK and the EU.
What ya thinking?

We DO have a FTA with the States. Doesn't stop them from screwing with it when they feel like it though. This isn't the first time.

posted on Jun, 5 2015 @ 03:19 PM
link   
a reply to: theantediluvian

Thanks for the interesting reply, sounds like Canada and Mexico at least have the makings of a case though. I look forward to an opposing view being posted.

...oh, and I was tongue in cheek about forces at the borders, but it would be interesting to see the US response in they impose sanctions. It is still pretty serious political stuff.

posted on Jun, 5 2015 @ 03:19 PM
link   

*Edit*
Am I right in thinking then that US companies are importing crappy meat from China, giving it a US sticker, then selling it on at a higher price, or something like that?

We could always start bombing them. That seems to be the answer for everything right?

posted on Jun, 5 2015 @ 03:22 PM
link   
a reply to: intrepid

Brave move calling sanctions I reckon though, could end up tit for tat, they slap 50% on imported maple syrup, you ban US citizens getting cheap meds...mounties massed on the border, my gosh, THINK OF THE CHILDREN!

...seriously though if one member of any trade agreement is breaking the deal then it has to be challenged by the others.

*Edit*
I am genuinely interested in this though, I've been imagining a similar situation of say the UK and Poland seeking UN approval for sanctions against the rest of the EU over labeling. Obviously not not the best example but you get the picture in my head.
My questions would be how the EU would respond, the bigger player.

In the OP the US is the big player so do they smugly chuckle and dismiss the sanctions as something they can ignore, or do they teach those pesky neighbours a lesson with sanctions right back at them?

edit on 5.6.2015 by grainofsand because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 5 2015 @ 03:57 PM
link   

I'm not really seeing where the rules unfairly discriminate against them. I don't know much about production as our company handles storage/distribution of boxed meat but I can tell you that the boxed meat products are not in any way physically segregated or handled differently.

There may be more stringent requirements for the segregation of livestock and meat at the plant but this is an expense the packers eat. I suppose among the 20% of packing operations not owned by the big four, some of the smaller outfits might deal strictly with US bred livestock because they lack the resources to keep the livestock separated?

posted on Jun, 5 2015 @ 04:07 PM
link   
a reply to: theantediluvian

So is it about something as simple as different companies ability to verify the country of source for the animals?
The Canadians and Mexicans are unhappy that the "US meat" label or whatever is untrustworthy?
Sorry for the questions but I do genuinely see this as a big political story when two friendly nations are chasing sanctions through the UN against their neighbour.

posted on Jun, 5 2015 @ 05:57 PM
link   

originally posted by: amicktd

*Edit*

We could always start bombing them. That seems to be the answer for everything right?

Last time you started a war with canada......you lost........

Get those torchs ready canada! DC needs a good burning

posted on Jun, 6 2015 @ 08:10 AM
link   
a reply to: crazyewok

Remember it's sanctions first, then a UN resolution or two ignored by the US before escalation. I imagine Canada plays things by the book before sending their war dogs in.

Just discovered Canada exports $120 Billion of oil to the US, didn't realise it was so much, a sanctions war could be something the US would find tricky to ignore. Mexico not so much as their highest value export tends to avoid customs as much as it can.

posted on Jun, 6 2015 @ 12:40 PM
link   
Why would it make Mexican and Canadian meat more expensive?

The dispute dates back to December 2008 when Canada and Mexico first objected to requirements that retailers in the US provide details on where the meat was born, raised and slaughtered. They say it unfairly makes their products more expensive.

www.bbc.com...

I want to know where my meat is from.....not just if it is NAU slaughtered.
And, FWIW....in the one store that labels...it says US/Mexico/Canada most of the time.

posted on Jun, 6 2015 @ 12:43 PM
link   
a reply to: DontTreadOnMe

Agree,

Not only meat but other foods as well.

Any attempt to remove or hide "country of origin" or "made in xxxx" is detrimental to the consumer.

<<   2 >>

join