It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

A new discovery that may lead to a lot of life in the universe!

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 5 2015 @ 11:24 PM
link   

originally posted by: FlySolo
a reply to: Ghost147
Proves nothing of the sort that this particular area is the sole cause for consciousness.

I never stated that any particular part of the brain was the sole cause for consciousness. What I did say is that "it is proven that the brain is the source of consciousness. We just don't know exactly what part of it causes it's activation."

Again, it is evident that the brain is where consciousness derives from, we just don't know the specific part of it that causes it.

I'm not sure why this is a topic in this thread to begin with?
edit on 5/6/15 by Ghost147 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 6 2015 @ 12:02 AM
link   

because you said it was the brain and that there's proof for it and I'm just correcting you.

What I did say is that "it is proven that the brain is the source of consciousness.

Which is entirely wrong. That's like saying the TV with all it's circuitry is responsible for the tv shows.

posted on Jun, 6 2015 @ 12:11 AM
link   
a reply to: FlySolo

If we can effect consciousness by triggering specific points within the brain, then does that not lead to the conclusion that the brain is required for consciousness to exist? We also see varying degrees of consciousness in other organisms. The more intelligent they are, the more their consciousness is apparent.

We don't need a direct and distinct source to conclude that it comes from a general cause.
edit on 6/6/15 by Ghost147 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 6 2015 @ 12:24 AM
link   

I'm torn between my GTAV online game and this discussion.

If we can effect consciousness by triggering specific points within the brain, then does that not lead to the conclusion that the brain is required for consciousness to exist?

No,it just shows that consciousness wouldn't work without it. You need to step back a bit for a second and ask yourself if it's logical to assume the brain "creates" consciousnesses. It would be completely illogical to assume the radio makes music right? So why is it logical to assume the same about the brain?

We also see varying degrees of consciousness in other organisms. The more intelligent they are, the more their consciousness is apparent.

Another misdirected assumption. How does intelligence equate to consciousness? We can't even measure consciousness. Is a mentally handicapped person any less conscious than you or me? No. You're mixing intelligence in where it doesn't belong. A stupid fish is conscious and so is an ape. Intelligence has nothing to do with it, other than perhaps facilitating what we are aware of.
edit on 6-6-2015 by FlySolo because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 6 2015 @ 01:11 AM
link   

originally posted by: FlySolo
You need to step back a bit for a second and ask yourself if it's logical to assume the brain "creates" consciousnesses. It would be completely illogical to assume the radio makes music right? So why is it logical to assume the same about the brain?

I'm not quite sure that's a responsible parallel. Why would it be so unlikely for the brain to create consciousness?

This isn't the thread for this topic. If you'd like to continue this debate feel free to send me a private message. I don't see how this relates to the OP at all.

posted on Jun, 6 2015 @ 11:30 AM
link   

I have always thought it possible that life started deep down in the earth. The climate is far more stable and more protective compared to the surface.

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join