It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Liquid on Mars, NASA Photos, up close SOL 0712

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 6 2015 @ 09:00 PM
link   
a reply to: Phage

somewhere between equilibrium then,

you've seen the pictures Phage , from repeating patterns of colossus sizes to- macro sand artworks .. tis a very artistic wind, im sure we can both agree on

funbox

posted on Jun, 6 2015 @ 09:02 PM
link   
a reply to: funbox
I live for wind.

posted on Jun, 6 2015 @ 09:04 PM
link   

have you ever been mistaken for a u.f.o whilst doing that ?

funbox

posted on Jun, 6 2015 @ 09:06 PM
link   

Flying at night is illegal.
So...no. Absolutely not.

posted on Jun, 6 2015 @ 09:10 PM
link   

originally posted by: Phage
I live for wind.

I only see rocks.

posted on Jun, 6 2015 @ 09:12 PM
link   

you could always dress as a grey , justified with a backstory akin to two flower's

a tourist with a love for extreme sports , although it probably has already happened

funbox

posted on Jun, 6 2015 @ 09:12 PM
link   
a reply to: taoistguy

I see rocks too. I don't like getting close to them though.

The Stones had a song about it. "Stuck between a rock...and cloudbase." I think that's how it went.

posted on Jun, 6 2015 @ 09:16 PM
link   

originally posted by: Phage

I see rocks too. I don't like getting close to them though.

The Stones had a song about it. "Stuck between a rock...and cloudbase." I think that's how it went.

Well just remenber Icarus and don't go too high.

posted on Jun, 6 2015 @ 09:18 PM
link   

he should hsve used T.H.C in place of wax , much better bonding power ;D

funbox

posted on Jun, 6 2015 @ 09:55 PM
link   

originally posted by: wildespace
This is just darker dust/sand underneath the lighter iron oxide coating that gives Mars its familiar red colour.

This material has been exposed when the rover took scooped samples for chemical analysis:

or even exposed by the rover's wheels:

Those tracks appear to be damp, one more than the other, how can you account for the exact effect as slightly damp dirt/sand
under the dry surface ??

posted on Jun, 7 2015 @ 12:28 AM
link   
Doesn't the low humidity make dampness an unlikely condition?

posted on Jun, 7 2015 @ 01:19 AM
link   

originally posted by: ParasuvO

originally posted by: wildespace
This is just darker dust/sand underneath the lighter iron oxide coating that gives Mars its familiar red colour.

This material has been exposed when the rover took scooped samples for chemical analysis:

or even exposed by the rover's wheels:

Those tracks appear to be damp, one more than the other, how can you account for the exact effect as slightly damp dirt/sand
under the dry surface ??

Well, appearances don't count for much in science, so it's really a subjective opinion to bring dampness into this. Curiosity rover has an instrument that measures air humidity, and the scooped sample (which is the same darker material exposed by the wheels) was analysed chemically. The only water there is, is bound into minerals.

In case anyone's interested, here are the "weather reports" from Curiosity's instruments: cab.inta-csic.es...
I couldn't find humidity data there, but someone on the Unmanned Spaceflight Forum commented to me that Mars is dryer than the Death Valley in California. On the other hand, this article by NASA says that Curiosity's data shows that salty brine could form in the martian soil for short periods of time: mars.nasa.gov...

However, I'm very confident that those dark patches of exposed ground are not damp; they are really just darker material under the lighter iron oxide dust coating. The only lighter-coloured material I've seen on Mars is rocks and mineral veins. For example, these drill tailings:

posted on Jun, 7 2015 @ 01:26 AM
link   
a reply to: wildespace

I couldn't find humidity data there, but someone on the Unmanned Spaceflight Forum commented to me that Mars is dryer than the Death Valley in California.

Way, way drier. Drier even than Atacama. Which is drier than Death Valley.
The dampest place on Mars is drier than the driest place on Earth.

Mars is really dry.

edit on 6/7/2015 by Phage because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 7 2015 @ 07:11 AM
link   
a reply to: wildespace

In case anyone's interested, here are the "weather reports" from Curiosity's instruments: cab.inta-csic.es...
I couldn't find humidity data there, but someone on the Unmanned Spaceflight Forum commented to me that Mars is dryer than the Death Valley in California. On the other hand, this article by NASA says that Curiosity's data shows that salty brine could form in the martian soil for short periods of time: mars.nasa.gov...

I was quite interested in this , until I went to the page ... half a job springs to mind.. why no wind speed data ?

funbox

posted on Jun, 7 2015 @ 07:18 PM
link   
You must remember that the density of the atmosphere is directly related to size of particle it can suspend. The Martian atmosphere is 0.6% of that of Earth's. Therefore it can only carry dust. A Martian dust devil would feel like someone one above you sprinkling Talcompowder over you from the floor above - barely noticeable. Not like a dust/sand storm here on Earth!

posted on Jun, 8 2015 @ 08:14 AM
link   
"Dust Trickles".....LOL

Sometimes, the right answer is the simple one.

It's water. Mars has liquid water.

It's time to stop denying the obvious.

posted on Jun, 8 2015 @ 01:10 PM
link   
a reply to: poncho1982

I'm sure this will be Main Stream knowledge in 5-10 years. But for now, only us Looney Tunes think so

posted on Jun, 8 2015 @ 01:47 PM
link   
a reply to: ParasuvO
There is water and ice under the surface

But liquid brines might be abundant across Mars’ surface. So, some further trekking might eventually reveal whether any salty critters still call those soils home.

blogs.discovermagazine.com...

The probes dug into the ground, examining rocks and performing experiments. In 2008, Phoenix turned up small chunks of bright material that disappeared after four days, leading scientists to surmise that they were pieces of water ice.

www.space.com...

posted on Jun, 8 2015 @ 01:55 PM
link   

originally posted by: FlyingFox
Doesn't the low humidity make dampness an unlikely condition?

Water forms on the rover and there are many pictures that show possible damp, water beading and surface track damp.
There are clouds on Mars (nice cloud shot here)
www.astrobio.net...

If these are NOT water they must be life forms.
Scientists Photograph Possible Water Droplets on Mars Lander - See more at: www.dailytech.com...

posted on Jun, 8 2015 @ 01:56 PM
link   

originally posted by: poncho1982
"Dust Trickles".....LOL

Sometimes, the right answer is the simple one.

It's water. Mars has liquid water.

It's time to stop denying the obvious.

clear and obvious.

new topics

top topics

<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join