It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

New Snowden leak: NSA uses warrantless Web surveillance to hunt hackers

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 5 2015 @ 10:30 AM
link   
Source

Ever since Edward Snowden began to leak details on the mass surveillance programs of the NSA and other government agencies, there’s been an ongoing debate over the nature and limits that should be placed on such surveillance. One of the most troubling trends exposed in repeated leaks is the degree to which the government has exceeded the enormous authority granted it by the Patriot Act and other legislation. New information, available today, is going to reignite that argument. Days after the Senate voted to reauthorize the Patriot Act with some modest modifications, details have leaked on how the Obama Administration authorized the NSA to search the Internet for evidence of malicious hacking, even when there were no obvious ties between the alleged hackers and any international groups.

I am so sick of hearing about the NSA. Every time there is news about them, they are pushing their reach farther and farther; no concern for the average citizen. The fact that they operate outside of the US too is extremely unnerving to say the least as well.

I love the whole concept of freedom, but why is our freedom to privacy being invaded?

I smell malicious intent not from random small-time hackers, but from the NSA.
edit on 5/6/15 by Ghost147 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 5 2015 @ 10:35 AM
link   
Snowden held two jobs in his life. CIA agent and then working for a CIA contractor. Now he is the magical man who keeps leaking things that many if not most of us already suspected or knew to begin with. And once he leaks them they become legitimized and played out in discussion - they become normal.

I firmly believe that Snowden is still working for the CIA and that his entire gig is a psyop meant to spoon feed the masses into accepting that the Democratic Republic was sold into a Oligarchy already. By controlling the "leaks" those in power can give us just enough to upset us, at one time, without giving us enough to push us into revolt or mass rejection of the system.

posted on Jun, 5 2015 @ 10:39 AM
link   
a reply to: Hefficide

That wouldn't be totally unreasonable. It would not surprise me at all of that were indeed the case. Everything we speculate and see about the NSA is entirely expected at this time.

posted on Jun, 5 2015 @ 10:44 AM
link   
I do not like the data collection. I hope that as the USAfreedom act states. The information is held by the providers and is only accessible after a warrant is issued .

But for tracking hackers one must remember that if they are not US Citizens they are not protected by our rights .
edit on 5-6-2015 by Greathouse because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 5 2015 @ 10:46 AM
link   

originally posted by: Hefficide

Snowden held two jobs in his life. CIA agent and then working for a CIA contractor. Now he is the magical man who keeps leaking things that many if not most of us already suspected or knew to begin with. And once he leaks them they become legitimized and played out in discussion - they become normal.

I firmly believe that Snowden is still working for the CIA and that his entire gig is a psyop meant to spoon feed the masses into accepting that the Democratic Republic was sold into a Oligarchy already. By controlling the "leaks" those in power can give us just enough to upset us, at one time, without giving us enough to push us into revolt or mass rejection of the system.

Do you not think the Russians would have an idea if Snowden was CIA?

posted on Jun, 5 2015 @ 10:49 AM
link   
a reply to: Zcustosmorum

I think the Russians would obviously know - and would be happily helping. International politics is all about trade-offs. We'll house your disinformation shill and give him an air of legitimacy, meanwhile you ignore our little spat of ethnic cleansing.

posted on Jun, 5 2015 @ 10:51 AM
link   
a reply to: Hefficide

you ignore our little spat of ethnic cleansing.

Where is this happening?
edit on -180002015-06-05T10:52:25-05:000000002530201525062015Fri, 05 Jun 2015 10:52:25 -0500 by Zcustosmorum because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 5 2015 @ 10:55 AM
link   

originally posted by: Greathouse
But for tracking hackers one must remember that if they are not US Citizens they are not protected by our rights .

Yes, I understand that. It's the whole concept of data collecting in general that is bothersome.

posted on Jun, 5 2015 @ 10:58 AM
link   

That might fly, except the deeper indication that the elections are likely rigged. I wonder how the citizens are going to respond to that? Once the TPP is law, the world changes. Maybe this is the endgame? Starting to look like it.

posted on Jun, 5 2015 @ 11:02 AM
link   
a reply to: Ghost147

The data collection bothers me also. But I remain optimistic we are moving in the right direction. Nothing happens overnight especially in that vile town known as Washington DC .

But I can see the strategic importance of cyber security. Because that is an issue that would behoove us to pay close attention to .

posted on Jun, 5 2015 @ 11:06 AM
link   
a reply to: Greathouse

Indeed. At the moment there is no median. One one hand we want freedom to our personal affects, and on the other we want some sort of policing when it comes to malicious hacking. The internet is relatively new, and it's governance is much much newer.

However, I can't help but feeling the steps the NSA are taking are not in the right direction. It's more than just a "lets protect our citizens/government from the nasty hackers!", it's more like "let's stop hackers from getting at our government stuff, and also nonchalantly see what all of our citizens are up to as well *evil grin* "

edit on 5/6/15 by Ghost147 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 5 2015 @ 11:08 AM
link   
a reply to: Zcustosmorum

The Ukraine.

I'm about to get busy in real life - so I'm going to go ahead and preemptively have our debate. Feel free to correct anything I get wrong.

But we have no reason to believe anything other than that Snowden is a Patriot and hero who is telling us the truth!

OK. Then why are we hearing about this now? I mean it's not like he hasn't had, what, two years spent sitting on this information? He obviously isn't in a position to get new intelligence.

Obviously he kept some back as a safety measure. He made sure he had an ace in the hole!

Fine. Then why is he pulling it out now? It's not like the CIA doesn't still exist and have the power to drop a few grains of ricin in his coffee. Even with him outside of America - he's still easily taken out. The relations between the US and Russia are stabilized and probably have been for much longer than we will ever know. There is too much mutual interest involved, particularly in arms dealing, for the two nations NOT to have quiet little handshake deals all over the place.

The big tip off is that this "leak" is about "hackers". Now, other than China cyberattacking us every other week, when was the last time you heard of hackers doing anything more than knocking Playstation or Xbox Live offline? It's a social trigger term meant to imply "lack of security" and to make people feel vulnerable. This opens the door for good old Uncle Sam to come in and save us from those evil haxors and whatever it is that they're doing. You know, so that the NSA doesn't have to spy on us so much.

In short we'll trade accepted "anti hacker" spying because random "anti terrorist" spying is so 2005.

posted on Jun, 5 2015 @ 11:14 AM
link   

originally posted by: Ghost147
a reply to: Greathouse

Indeed. At the moment there is no median. One one hand we want freedom to our personal affects, and on the other we want some sort of policing when it comes to malicious hacking. The internet is relatively new, and it's governance is much much newer.

However, I can't help but feeling the steps the NSA are taking are not in the right direction. It's more than just a "lets protect our citizens/government from the nasty hackers!", it's more like "let's stop hackers from getting at our government stuff, and also nonchalantly see what all of our citizens are up to as well *evil grin* "

I see what you are saying.

My reference to steps in the right direction was in reference to providers collecting the information and not the government . I don't think it's actually providers "collecting" information either because they already do that .

But I believe cyber security could easily fall under "clear and present danger to the US" .

posted on Jun, 5 2015 @ 11:18 AM
link   
In the UK a newly reintroduced snoopers charter means that all communications are up for grabs again! At least in the US your phone calls are safe (unless they have carried on collecting and are lying [highly probable].) France is also on the brink of new legislation to further their security agencies scope for bulk collection of data. Sad times.

posted on Jun, 5 2015 @ 11:50 AM
link   

So "they" control Putin and Russia then too?

Because that is where ole leakboy is living.

The plain obvious observation is that he is a Russian agent doing the bidding of Russia in their opposition to the Western powers. He was turned by all the anti Western rhetoric and is a showpiece of Russian counterintelligence success that Putin likes to take off the mantle and polish up for the world to see from time to time.

posted on Jun, 5 2015 @ 11:56 AM
link   
Another possibility is that he had good intentions at first, exposing NSA secrets, and fled to Russia to avoid legal consequences.

After that, Russia quietly took him aside and told him if he doesn't "leak" what the Kremlin decides would be damaging to the U.S., true or not, they'll happily export his butt back to the U.S. to face the waterboarding and Gitmo treatment.

Seems like something they would do, considering Russia is in full-on "Anti West" mode right now.

posted on Jun, 5 2015 @ 12:04 PM
link   
a reply to: TinfoilTP

"They" is a lose term and largely abused and misunderstood. Money, and those who control the bulk of it is "they" and that means who "they" are can shift at any point. Banks and Corporations. These are entities that exists without concerns for borders, or even Governments.

China is the new big bad guy, yet there are McDonalds and Wal Marts in Beijing. All the rhetoric is just that, rhetoric.

So, having said that. Yes, Putin listens to "them" as much as every other world leader because his own and his nations finances depend upon "them" just like everyone else. Nationalism is something for the proles and poor to hang onto - the wealthy left those things behind about 300 years ago.

posted on Jun, 5 2015 @ 12:06 PM
link   
It's all part of project TAKE A DUMP .
Never heard of it ?
Yep it's been going on years ,
There trying to watch you do everything ,
And the pinnacle and aim is to actually put cameras everywhere !
Until they have made a law that states ,
Thy will let thy CIA and NSA and MI5 film and monitor all movements upto and including TAKING A DUMP !

new topics

top topics

join