It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Boeing just patented a drone that can fly forever

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 5 2015 @ 10:20 AM
link   
This is a bit disturbing to me and I'm not sure why, ATS. Why would we need drones that could just literally fly forever? What's the need for something like this?

According to the patent, the system involves battery-powered dirigibles or drones that can deploy a retractable tether. The tether will be able to connect to a power source as the craft hovers. When fully charged, the drone will automatically fly off to complete its programmed task while another drone will fly in and take its place at the charging point.

Depending on the specific application of the drone, the tether can be connected to a variety of sources including land- and ocean-based power supplies. The tether can even be connected to moving vehicles, allowing the drone to charge while flying.

I guess maybe for recon or surveillance of some sort but somehow I think this will eventually used AGAINST people in some way. What says ATS?

finance.yahoo.com...

posted on Jun, 5 2015 @ 10:22 AM
link   
Bullshjt. If it needs a tether to connect to a powersource and reload it's not flying forever.

posted on Jun, 5 2015 @ 10:25 AM
link   
Drones could serve so many positive uses, particularly in meteorology, seismology, volcanology, communications and even things like creating real time traffic data that could advise drivers of the least congested routes during rush hour.

Sadly the two uses that Uncle Sam seems fixated upon are spying and weapons platforms.

I see a very sad future where high speed pursuits are no longer a reality - because a drone simply bombs the getaway car. That's a concept that the Government could easily justify, sell, and get the public to agree to... without anyone realizing the lines being crossed and what lay further down that dark road.

posted on Jun, 5 2015 @ 11:01 AM
link   
a reply to: lostbook

I agree with anotherdaytoday, If it needs to stop, tether up, and recharge, i don't consider it flying forever. Although, it is a step in that direction.

Personally, I can imaging a lot of applications for this concept. Virtually uninterrupted flight could be very beneficial. We already see businesses attempting to form delivery services with personal drones; tethering up to a "sky jack" may be a great answer to long distant flight time-reduction. The same goes for surveillance at a large and personal scale too.

As for the large scale drones, Heff has done a great job explaining their various uses as well.

One of the largest setbacks to personal drones at least is their ridiculously short flight time. I think this concept is just what we need.
edit on 5/6/15 by Ghost147 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 5 2015 @ 11:04 AM
link   

originally posted by: lostbook
This is a bit disturbing to me and I'm not sure why, ATS. Why would we need drones that could just literally fly forever? What's the need for something like this?

It's so Matthew McConaughey can find one years later and salvage it for farm equipment.

posted on Jun, 5 2015 @ 11:07 AM
link   
a reply to: Junkheap

lol
its boeing
if mcC had caught a boeing drone in the movie
that would have probably been the end of the movie right there
at least for his role

posted on Jun, 5 2015 @ 11:25 AM
link   
I think this can be huge.

Landing is a hazard especially with drones. Power lines, wind, waves, trees, humans, etc.

By lowering a teather, to for example:

- Refuell / energize
- load and/ or offload cargo
- Whatever

No need for landing platforms.

I think this could be the future of transportation.
Even if power is coming from other sources eventually.

edit on 5-6-2015 by EartOccupant because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 5 2015 @ 11:45 AM
link   

originally posted by: anotherdaytoday
Bullshjt. If it needs a tether to connect to a powersource and reload it's not flying forever.

Nowhere does it say, that Boeing has invented an aircraft, that never needs to refuel. That is not the point.

The point is that it does not have to land to refuel.
The point is that it stays airborne.
The claim is that at keeps flying.

And it does.

No need to call BS on this one :-)

posted on Jun, 5 2015 @ 11:46 AM
link   
Thank you. a reply to: anotherdaytoday

posted on Jun, 5 2015 @ 11:48 AM
link   
a reply to: EartOccupant

This is huge for projects like the Loon that can be used to transmit Internet and other things to areas where getting that infrastructure in place is difficult at best.

posted on Jun, 5 2015 @ 11:59 AM
link   
a reply to: Hefficide

Yes they could be used in postive ways i wonder how long it will be before we see the first drone to drone warfare..

posted on Jun, 5 2015 @ 12:01 PM
link   

originally posted by: DupontDeux

originally posted by: anotherdaytoday

Nowhere does it say, that Boeing has invented an aircraft, that never needs to refuel. That is not the point.

The point is that it does not have to land to refuel.
The point is that it stays airborne.
The claim is that at keeps flying.

And it does.

No need to call BS on this one :-)

Couldn't have said it better myself.

posted on Jun, 5 2015 @ 12:08 PM
link   
a reply to: Zaphod58

That too, indeed.

They also could microwave the power up. But maybe thats to dangerous.

posted on Jun, 5 2015 @ 12:09 PM
link   

If they're talking about it, chances are they've already been using them for quite a while. ugh

posted on Jun, 5 2015 @ 12:17 PM
link   

Microwave has the minor problem of things like cooking the local flying critters.

posted on Jun, 5 2015 @ 12:21 PM
link   
a reply to: LuckyYurg

There's nothing out there that is in current use that this would work well with. Aerostats are already tethered, as are the other dirigible style systems.

posted on Jun, 5 2015 @ 12:22 PM
link   
a reply to: Zaphod58

Agreed, but tethers could couse problems as well and some danger and even catching.

On the other hand.. with a tether there is no advanced equipment needed at ground level.

Oh well, it was just a thought.

posted on Jun, 5 2015 @ 12:27 PM
link   

Tethers work really well. They've used them for Aerostats for years. They cause fewer problems than just about everything else, with a minimal footprint.

posted on Jun, 5 2015 @ 12:57 PM
link   
To be honest. Forever is a long time...

posted on Jun, 5 2015 @ 01:33 PM
link   

Unless it is solar powered the likely hood this thing could stay air born forever becomes a moot point if the electric grid is effected by an EMP in which case the only scenario we could hope for is that it crashes into a water body and doesn't kill someone in the process.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join