It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Know your craft

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 5 2015 @ 12:49 AM
link   
If you are good at what you do then you can go anywhere. Kinda cheesy but I firmly believe that whatever you choose to do in this life, just be the best. If you can't be the best then try hard to be 2nd. If you're good at what you do then money will come. College degree or not if you like what you do. I spent alot of time being the *itch in my shop. After years of learning and gaining experience I moved up. Then I quit my job and found something I actually enjoyed for alot less money. But after two years, I showed my skills and was voted in by my peers as foreman of the whole shop. I'm not college educated but just trying to show if you work hard and be awesome you can really do anything you want.

posted on Jun, 5 2015 @ 01:36 AM
link   

originally posted by: Toolman18
If you are good at what you do then you can go anywhere. Kinda cheesy but I firmly believe that whatever you choose to do in this life, just be the best. If you can't be the best then try hard to be 2nd. If you're good at what you do then money will come. College degree or not if you like what you do. I spent alot of time being the *itch in my shop. After years of learning and gaining experience I moved up. Then I quit my job and found something I actually enjoyed for alot less money. But after two years, I showed my skills and was voted in by my peers as foreman of the whole shop. I'm not college educated but just trying to show if you work hard and be awesome you can really do anything you want.

I started working in fast food, at minimum wage in 1978. I worked hard, learned every position, opening, closing, and was made a shift supervisor in 9 months. I went to college, while continuing to work 33-36 hours a week, and when a management position became available, I quit school and learned how to run a QSR.

Fast forward 16 years, and with my savings, and a grovelling session at the bank I bought my own place. For the next 5 years, I worked 60-70 hours a week building that location into into a top-tier volume unit. In the next 10 years, after putting all I own at risk, I've expanded out to 6 stores.

I can proudly say I employ 200 people, have unit managers that started as I did, and pay no one minimum wage. I share profits with those that put food on my table, pay full medical, dental and life, and retirement benefits. I am blessed with employees that care about the quality of product they put out, and work with the knowledge I am there for them at all times.

Many look down at those in the food service industry, particularly fast food. When asked at my 25 year HS reunion where I was employed, and responded "the same place I worked as a senior", most looked at me with pity or condescension. I just shrugged my shoulders, informed them "it's what I do", and walked away in the comfort and confidence in my station in life. And life is good.

posted on Jun, 5 2015 @ 05:08 AM
link   
a reply to: Toolman18

Absolutely

Good craftsman is always needed and wanted.

In any country.

posted on Jun, 5 2015 @ 06:56 AM
link   

This is very true.

College is a kick starter for your career. But you can "take the long way around", so to speak. I did it. Its not the easiest way to do it....but it can be done.

posted on Jun, 5 2015 @ 07:19 AM
link   
a reply to: Toolman18

I completely agree.

"Be the best at what you do and people will line up to pay you for your services."

-I don't remember who said this

posted on Jun, 5 2015 @ 07:42 AM
link   
I fully agree with you. I started out in my field 10 years ago, just because I needed a job. I had no intention of turning it into a career. But I discovered (after my manager at the time had already realized it) that I had a knack for it. After a while, I realized I also found that I really liked certain aspects of the work. So I got every bit of training the companies that employed me would pay for. Then paid for some of my own. Now I'm comfortably supporting a family of 3, and am on track for a management position with a company I've wanted to work for almost 7 years.

posted on Jun, 5 2015 @ 07:48 AM
link   

originally posted by: Boscowashisnamo

I started working in fast food, at minimum wage in 1978. I worked hard, learned every position, opening, closing, and was made a shift supervisor in 9 months. I went to college, while continuing to work 33-36 hours a week, and when a management position became available, I quit school and learned how to run a QSR.

Fast forward 16 years, and with my savings, and a grovelling session at the bank I bought my own place. For the next 5 years, I worked 60-70 hours a week building that location into into a top-tier volume unit. In the next 10 years, after putting all I own at risk, I've expanded out to 6 stores.

I can proudly say I employ 200 people, have unit managers that started as I did, and pay no one minimum wage. I share profits with those that put food on my table, pay full medical, dental and life, and retirement benefits. I am blessed with employees that care about the quality of product they put out, and work with the knowledge I am there for them at all times.

Many look down at those in the food service industry, particularly fast food. When asked at my 25 year HS reunion where I was employed, and responded "the same place I worked as a senior", most looked at me with pity or condescension. I just shrugged my shoulders, informed them "it's what I do", and walked away in the comfort and confidence in my station in life. And life is good.

Just remember, "you didn't build that".

posted on Jun, 5 2015 @ 08:13 AM
link   
If I had it to do all over again (knowing how the economy was going to go), I would have never gone to college and gotten degrees. I would have gone to a trade school and become an electrician, plumber, etc. I'd be a lot happier, and making a LOT more money.

posted on Jun, 5 2015 @ 08:22 AM
link   
a reply to: Gazrok

I tend to think that for my age, and my lack of a degree, I've done pretty well. And I don't break my back doing it.

posted on Jun, 5 2015 @ 09:00 AM
link   

originally posted by: Gazrok
If I had it to do all over again (knowing how the economy was going to go), I would have never gone to college and gotten degrees. I would have gone to a trade school and become an electrician, plumber, etc. I'd be a lot happier, and making a LOT more money.

I got lucky and dropped out of school and became homeless at 14. Shortly afterward I began my career and, as a result, have the experience of a much older person.

I did try to go to various universities but, I could see back then that it was as worthless as any generic preparatory regimen.

Institutionalized educational facilities are a fantastic scam and a life support system for the unmotivated and unproductive.

You don't have to limit yourself to trades though they are probably the best bet.

My recommendation is to never cease educating yourself.

"Intellectual growth should commence at birth and cease only at death."

-Albert Einstein

posted on Jun, 5 2015 @ 11:12 AM
link   
a reply to: greencmp

But I did, working side by side with those that who were part of the success. I have never forgotten that I would not be where I am today without them.

posted on Jun, 5 2015 @ 11:14 AM
link   
a reply to: Boscowashisnamo

it was a reference to this

posted on Jun, 5 2015 @ 01:46 PM
link   

But I did, working side by side with those that who were part of the success. I have never forgotten that I would not be where I am today without them.

Good answer! Long term employees are a sign of good management.

I wasn't actually gibing you btw, just using the opportunity to quip.

posted on Jun, 5 2015 @ 08:47 PM
link   

No prob. I sometimes get a little defensive about business due to my region's migration to the "collective" concept. My longest non-managerial employee has been with me for 17 years, with average tenure between 4-5 years. It kinda blows the doors off the revolving door perception of fast-food workers.

posted on Jun, 5 2015 @ 09:42 PM
link   

No prob. I sometimes get a little defensive about business due to my region's migration to the "collective" concept. My longest non-managerial employee has been with me for 17 years, with average tenure between 4-5 years. It kinda blows the doors off the revolving door perception of fast-food workers.

I'm impressed, I did landscaping for a while with the same small company and learned a lot.

The collectivists are out in full force, it's not unwise to be on guard.

posted on Jun, 6 2015 @ 01:28 AM
link   
Great point.

Working at a corporate job for many years (which I did not like), you really feel stuck, like its the only thing you can do to keep afloat. But now, making a living off something else, which I would never have imagined could have paid the bills, I am amazed. While not ideal, I feel I am in a better place. It gives me the inspiration to pursue an even better life.

posted on Jun, 6 2015 @ 01:37 AM
link   
a reply to: Gazrok

On the other hand, electrician, plumber, carpenter, hvac, etc. is not always a walk in the park.

Depending on the nature of the work, it can be a really tough life.

posted on Jun, 6 2015 @ 03:08 PM
link   
True, As a Drag Queen you have to know it's Herstory and place not only Queer Culture, but also in non-Queer Culture. also in pop culture, post-pop culture past and present etc. anyone can put on makeup and lip-sync but to dedicate your life to this Culture that truly saved my life and allowed me to express my Art, and feelings, emotions and also my Gender Queerness at the same time promoting confidence and awareness and Entertaining people... it's special

and i'm still learning, i'm only 23

new topics

top topics

join