It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

I'm pretty sure we are the most selfish culture on the planet, or at least #2

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 6 2015 @ 07:17 PM
link   
a reply to: TheLaughingGod

That's very nice of you to say.

I am glad that my musings have proven useful for something!

posted on Jun, 6 2015 @ 09:21 PM
link   

posted on Jun, 7 2015 @ 04:34 AM
link   
a reply to: gosseyn

I'm not entirely sure what you are saying as the charts only look at the developed world.

In the developing world where healthcare is less (er) comprehensive (if there is any at all), mental health services are rudimentary at best.

Regardless, on income inequality there are a large number of developing countries with significantly worse income inequality than the West. For example, 59 nations are worse than the USA if you look at the Gini scale of measuring inequality.

The test for selfishness in a society - going by the OP, is to take a walk in the country. I have walked the paths in many nations - good and bad. I can tell you that Western culture is not selfish.

posted on Jun, 7 2015 @ 04:53 AM
link   
Depends on where your at op.

I've seen Okies and Texans come running from all over to assist when there is a problem.

When I worked in the bad part of town I saw paint sniffers, drug users, and drug dealers bust there buts to help folks after a bad storm.

The Middle of America (the part everyone likes to mock) still has a help your neighbor if you can attitude.

posted on Jun, 7 2015 @ 04:56 AM
link   
a reply to: paraphi

Yes, you have seen it all, understood it all, and you are categoric : Western culture is not selfish, absolutely not, not even 0000000000000.1 of it. Thank you Sir, how much do we owe you ?

But seriously, how can you be that categoric about a subjective and elusive notion such as selfishness ? How do you define it ? What are your criteria ? How do you know that the few people you have met were selfish or not ?
edit on 7-6-2015 by gosseyn because: sp

posted on Jun, 7 2015 @ 08:28 AM
link   

originally posted by: gosseyn
es, you have seen it all, understood it all, and you are categoric : Western culture is not selfish, absolutely not, not even 0000000000000.1 of it. Thank you Sir, how much do we owe you ?

Please, enough with the praise.

To answer your points.

1. Western "culture" is not perfect, but it is not selfish. In fact, Western culture with things like welfare and healthcare demonstrates collective selflessness.
2. The OP witnessed "an event" where selfishness, or apparently uncaring was demonstrated. This does not write of Western culture.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2   >>

join