It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

*** ALL MEMBERS *** Ending Rudeness, Hate, Bigotry: Getting Back to Basics

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 4 2015 @ 05:32 PM
link   
There are going to be plenty of overly sensitive types giving that "alert" button a real work out. Hope ya'll got lots of cookies.

posted on Jun, 4 2015 @ 05:32 PM
link   
a reply to: Seamrog

It is the fact that you ARE saying it that is offensive.

“It's now very common to hear people say, 'I'm rather offended by that.' As if that gives them certain rights. It's actually nothing more... than a whine. 'I find that offensive.' It has no meaning; it has no purpose; it has no reason to be respected as a phrase. 'I am offended by that.' Well, so #ing what."
Stephen Fry

I would imagine that on a discussion forum where many opinions are to be had, thicker skin is needed. There is no way to accommodate someone that is offended so easily.

posted on Jun, 4 2015 @ 05:34 PM
link   
a reply to: intrepid

Not at all, just realize the heavy hammer will have the end result of good behavior throughout the board maybe to the point that you all don't really desire.

Reserve that hammer for the obvious and it'll work out in the end.

Since being on the poster side seems a lot of obvious goes unchallenged which is not how it used to be.

Makes me wonder about mod world as there seems to be a lax control of the easy stuff and then clampdown when out of hand.

Just the view from this side for many years - no offense intended just observation.

posted on Jun, 4 2015 @ 05:34 PM
link   
a reply to: Phoenix

For your reply to me. True

edit on 4-6-2015 by reldra because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 4 2015 @ 05:35 PM
link   

originally posted by: Seamrog

originally posted by: intrepid

If all is seen how could there be "an agenda driven moderator?" Cripes.

'Respectfully,' you are one of them.

Really not a fair analogy. EVERYONE hates me.

posted on Jun, 4 2015 @ 05:36 PM
link   
a reply to: intrepid Lol, until you send me warning u2u or trash my thread. I am very happy with you.

posted on Jun, 4 2015 @ 05:36 PM
link   
a reply to: introvert

There's a large line between offense and downright hatefulness.

All that's being asked is to recognize this fact and discuss the issues accordingly. To elevate the discussion found on today's internet, a higher standard is expected.

And most people who want those discussions understand that.

-Tenth

posted on Jun, 4 2015 @ 05:39 PM
link   
a reply to: tothetenthpower
Very true. Respect. Whoops a one liner there.

link   
a reply to: grainofsand I think I have noticed that with most UK posts.

link   
a reply to: theabsolutetruth

I don't see why we cannot have differing opinions and differ on political correct issues as long as we are respectful.

I posted something totally unrelated to Obama on a thread and one of the usual guys called me out on in,

I have a target on my back at times for snarky remarks aimed at me , just for posting here.
edit on 053030p://bThursday2015 by Stormdancer777 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 4 2015 @ 05:40 PM
link   

I completely understand. I was only replying to the other poster as to his being offended.

posted on Jun, 4 2015 @ 05:41 PM
link   

originally posted by: olaru12
There are going to be plenty of overly sensitive types giving that "alert" button a real work out. Hope ya'll got lots of cookies.
That is true. I am thinking this took a big mod meeting and they knew this would open a can of worms. I doubt they thought the OP would be the end of this discussion. I bet they are ready.

posted on Jun, 4 2015 @ 05:42 PM
link   
a reply to: introvert

I was agreeing with you.

link   

If all is seen how could there be "an agenda driven moderator?" Cripes.

'Respectfully,' you are one of them.

Really not a fair analogy. EVERYONE hates me.

Join the club

link   

Let´s hope that the initiative will bear fruits. Although i doubt it, because "Rudeness, Hate, Bigotry", became the standard here on ATS for several months now. It´s basically one of the reasons that i stopped frequent ATS. I only hope the initiative will work long term and not short-term.

Peace

posted on Jun, 4 2015 @ 05:44 PM
link   
a reply to: intrepid
I actually like your sick humor. No hate from me. Maybe just the Canadian part but hell, we can't all be perfect.

posted on Jun, 4 2015 @ 05:44 PM
link   

originally posted by: Stormdancer777
a reply to: theabsolutetruth

I don't see why we cannot have differing opinions and differ on political correct issues as long as we are respectful.

I posted something totally unrelated to Obama on a thread and one of the usual guys called me out on in,

I have a target on my back at times for snarky remarks, just for posting here.
Some of the 'regular posters' and I am not pointing out who, I think debate just for a good debate. And look for logical backup to statements. I don;t think they are being mean. When you answer in a high profile thread, you need to be ready to defend, with logic and links. That is one of the reasons why I like this site so much.

posted on Jun, 4 2015 @ 05:47 PM
link   

The Christian perspective is viewed as 'ignorant, hateful bigotry,' no matter how it is presented.

That's true. Your perspective (or opinion) is not immune to criticism. No one's is. "Attack the argument, not the person making it" is a common theme here. If you identify so closely with a religion that you can't differentiate yourSELF from your belief system, you're going to feel that an "attack" on it is an "attack" on YOU.

To the OP: Thrilled to see this happening.

posted on Jun, 4 2015 @ 05:48 PM
link   
a reply to: Stormdancer777
Oh Stormdancer! NO, no, no. Do not let it bug you. Do not enter into discusions you will not change their opinions one way or the other. Personally, I could but I don't. I hold strong views and will not open any posts that is totally against my views (on religion that is).
Is that respect for the poster? No it's the other.

posted on Jun, 4 2015 @ 05:51 PM
link   
a reply to: Stormdancer777

There is an 'out to get *whichever group/ individual*' contingent on ATS IMO.

The goading thread 'my opinion is PC so you can't argue it' sort.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join