It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

10 Stories the Mainstream Media Ignored While Obsessing Over Caitlyn Jenner

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 5 2015 @ 08:09 AM
link   
The media circus surrounding Bruce Jenner's transition is just that. This is just more of the churning about the worthless Kardashians who are famous for being famous. It must be titillating for the voyeurs but when the national news makes it a lead story, I just turn the news off. If I want to read about this, I can scan the National Inquirer in the supermarket checkout line. I really don't care about anyone from Hollywood, Brucie-to-Caitlyn conversions, steatopygic Kim, the inbred Duggars, or any other generated news.
As previous posters have pointed out, all of this garbage news is a distraction, planned or unplanned, appealing to humanity's lowest common denominator, voyeurism or maybe just 'but for the grace of God, there go I' thinking.

My own opinion is that it is unplanned and is merely the news media marketing what sells or what the mindless twits who run the media think sells.
edit on 6/5/2015 by pteridine because: Syntax

posted on Jun, 5 2015 @ 08:39 AM
link   
On the topic of Transgenderism, I'm all for human rights, a person should be able to live their life how they want. But the fact that Hollywood and the MSM is promoting it as normal human behavior boggles my mind.

Transgenderism is similar to Anorexia. The disorder lies in the person’s assumption that they are different than the physical reality of their body, similar to a dangerously thin person suffering from Anorexia who looks in the mirror and thinks they are overweight.

There is an article from John Hopkins University breaking down some of the statistics, such as suicide rates are 20 times higher in the Transgendered community. This is something that deserves understanding, treatment and prevention rather then being promoted as the new religion.

Joe Rogan makes a great example with the Transgender MMA fighter who is brutalizing opponents so badly in female MMA that Women are refusing to fight. Where is the line going to be drawn?

edit on 5-6-2015 by Konduit because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 5 2015 @ 08:58 AM
link   
a reply to: bobs_uruncle

Not at all pointless.

It's estimated Jenner could be worth as much as 500 million in the next decade.

Why do in private what you can do on camera and sell for profit? The Kardashian way

posted on Jun, 5 2015 @ 09:14 AM
link   

originally posted by: Artorius
While this whole s**tstorm is clouding up the media airwaves there's been some groundbreaking stories. Don't get me wrong Miss Jenner's story is one of courage and bravery but whats being buried behind it is much more important such as #10 on this list. It irks me to see the american public (including the president!!) eating this up...then again its all apart of the plan right?? Thoughts???....

This week the world stopped turning to focus on the recent debut of Caitlyn Jenner, the Olympic athlete formerly known as Bruce. Jenner, the ex-husband of Kris Jenner and stepfather to Kim Kardashian, took a bold step in announcing her completed transition into the woman she always felt she was. She posed on the cover of Vanity Fairto premiere her new identity. This a monumental step forward for the transgender community that many hope will help foster increased tolerance in society. While this is a positive development, the degree of media attention devoted to the celebrity news story left many other equally important stories ignored.

While the world was debating whether or not it was Jenner’s right to become a woman, here are ten significant stories that deserve equal, if not more, attention:

1. Rand Paul received widespread coverage for delaying the Patriot Act’s renewal at the end of May. As a result of his filibuster and congressional inaction, the Patriot Act and its Section 215—one of the NSA’s justifications for bulk data collection—expired on Monday. Though this was lauded as a victory, this week the Senate pushed through the USA Freedom Act, selling it as a bill to respect the privacy of Americans. In actuality, it renews and arguably strengthens the government surveillance apparatus.

2. On Tuesday, news broke that the FBI has been conducting warrantless surveillance across the United States using a fleet of planes disguised as private aircrafts. It was responsible for mysterious planes flying over the Baltimore protests in May and surveilled as many as 40,000 people in one flight over Anaheim, California. In similar news, it was revealed this week that a single local police department conducted over 300 warrantless searches using highly secretive and controversial Stingray technology.

3. This week, NBC was caught manipulating footage of a witness interview to make the police shooting of unarmed college student, Feras Morad, seem less sinister to its audience. His death was one of nearly 400 police killings logged this year, alone.

4. In what appears to be good news, Congress moved this week to require police to report all killings and uses of force committed on duty. There has previously been no requirement and only 750 of 17,000 police departments voluntarily report such data. The law also requires reporting of police deaths on duty (this was already codified in a law passed in May) but nevertheless, signifies a growing shift toward police accountability.

5. A Department of Homeland Security investigation found that in 95% of cases, the TSA failed to find weapons and mock explosives smuggled through airports. Undercover DHS agents managed to sneak through 67 of 70 incidents without any hassle from the TSA, the administration that claims its services are necessary to keep Americans safe.

6. A “high value” Guantanamo detainee, Majid Khan, alleged this week that he was tortured by CIA agents with tactics worse than previously revealed. Though the Senate’s December torture report detailed gruesome techniques including forced rectal feeding and sleep deprivation, Khan claims he was sexually abused, hung nude from beams, and had his genitals dipped in ice water—among other offenses.

7. In a continuing, unsettling pattern, three more stories came to light of bankers meeting their death. The executive of American Express died mysteriously on an international flight while another jumped off the 24th floor of his apartment building in an apparent drug-induced suicide. Another story released this week detailed a Goldman Sachs employee found dead in her car in April. They join a growing list of bankers whose lives have ended prematurely.

8. In an all too common pattern, news surfaced this week that local police in Palm Beach, Florida engaged in illicit activity. As Anti-Media reported, “At least one minor and at least one sex-worker were invited to a private party on a golf course that was held by members of the Palm Beach Sheriff’s Department in 2012. Witnesses reported that members of the party were openly using coc aine and that the woman who attended the party was walking around the golf course fully nude.” This parallels the DEA’s recent drug cartel-funded prostitute party scandal as well as a plethora of cases where police use and sell “illicit” substances.

9. In a “once-in-a-century” discovery, archeologists in Russia discovered 2,400-year-old golden bongs. They contained trace amounts of opium and marijuana, suggesting (as the Palm Beach cop coc aine soiree does) that seeking altered states of consciousness is not a crime, but human nature. The findings further prove the failed war on drugs to be futile and obsolete.

10. A declassified Pentagon report revealed this week that Western governments helped to create ISIS, the infamous terrorist organization. According to the Defense Intelligence Agency report, “US and other western governments allied themselves with al-Qaeda and other Islamic extremist groups to oust Syrian dictator Bashir al-Assad. They suspected the consequences of this tactic would lead to the rise of an ‘Islamic State.’”

While Caitlyn Jenner’s transition into femininity is a newsworthy and ultimately positive story, the media’s incessant focus on celebrity gossip leaves a vast majority of relevant stories on the sidelines. If in a matter of several days this many stories could go uncovered by the mainstream media, consider how many have been sacrificed over the years in the name of covering celebrity deaths, weddings, breakdowns, and divorces—which come without the social progress of Caitlyn’s debut.

Click here for full article

Number 9 isn't news in the way the article framed it. Anthropologists have known for a long long time that societies across the world, and across time, on every continent, have used non-alcohol substances for either entertainment or spiritual reasons. It's common knowledge in the historical community. For example, anthropologists know that the ancient Vedic society of India used some kind of hallucinogenic substance in their rituals, the "soma." To this day anthropologists have been trying to find out exactly which one it was.
edit on 5-6-2015 by Quetzalcoatl14 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 5 2015 @ 09:22 AM
link   

originally posted by: Cheddarhead
I saw most of the 10 stories, too, before they were overshadowed by at least 2-3 articles on every news site about Caitlyn/Bruce/peeved off Kris/ Kim K finally pregnant (with twins, even!)/the Duggars, on and on and on.

You have to ask yourself while everyone is being distracted with the big shiny object OVER HERE, what are we not supposed to be seeing OVER THERE? Sometimes I wonder if TPTB actually encourage the celebrity trash culture and reality TV as the easiest, most cost effective way ever to distract the populace from what's REALLY going down in the world.

I do think you are right that this tactic is used sometimes. It's the old stage magician's trick: use the right hand to distract the audience while the left hand is doing a trick.

As to your second point, this is the whole "panem et circenses" argument, that perhaps the focus on professional/college sports, cheap entertainment, celebrities, reality shows, is a way to keep people distracted and subdued.

posted on Jun, 5 2015 @ 09:33 AM
link   

originally posted by: Freenrgy2
a reply to: Artorius

While these other news stories are worthy, I take exception with you calling Bruce Jenner's decision as being brave and courageous. Courage is laying your life on the line. Bravery is facing a life-threatening disease, knowing full well that the odds are stacked against you. What he did was nothing even close.

Let's be clear, it seems that people with craploads of money and who live in this fictitious bubble of reality, always seem to end up crazier than bat crap. If fame, fortune and the constant media spotlight make you want to undergo gender-altering surgery, then I want none of it.

I can give a care less what that human being decides to do with their life. And I certainly don't want nor do I need to be blasted with that information from every news outlet. I guess news always plays to the most sensational story, and I dare say to the lowest common denominator of people they think tune in to watch or listen.

What utter garbage and nonsense to have spent more than 5 seconds on this.

It takes a TON of courage to be something that violates traditional patriarchal norms of what manhood and womanhood are, as well as gender identity. There is an inevitable backlash as it will violate people's social constructs... Just like it is on this thread...

ATS really does show its majority conservative traditionalist bent at times like this.

posted on Jun, 5 2015 @ 09:55 AM
link   

I personally don't think Bruce should be getting this publicity. He is/was a horrible father and totally abandoned children from past marriages. Bruce is the last person who should be getting all this hooplah. So many good people before him have done the same change.

posted on Jun, 5 2015 @ 10:31 AM
link   
I've seen most of those talked about this week - and that's on TV. These stories are being covered - maybe not 'how' you'd like or as much as you like but I think it's a little far fetched to think that OMG Bruce-Jenner is everywhere!!! because that's just not true. It's like yahoo comments - everyone clicks into them and has this "WHY AM I HERE I DONT WANT TO SEE THIS OBAMA MUST HAVE DONE THIS" reaction lol.

posted on Jun, 5 2015 @ 11:03 AM
link   

originally posted by: raymundoko

I personally don't think Bruce should be getting this publicity. He is/was a horrible father and totally abandoned children from past marriages. Bruce is the last person who should be getting all this hooplah. So many good people before him have done the same change.

You take Awareness where you can get it.

Awareness is Awareness.

posted on Jun, 5 2015 @ 11:52 AM
link   
a reply to: TruthxIsxInxThexMist

Why the Media keep pushing this 'Transgender' & 'gay' thing is beyond me now...

It is all part of social engineering by TPTB.

posted on Jun, 5 2015 @ 12:23 PM
link   
a reply to: Metallicus

No, it's about Equality and Civil Rights.. does the media profit off the LBGTQ community now that we are taking a stand? of course they do, the Media will profit on whatever they can get. the Media will stab anyone in the back... but it's not "social engineering" by TPTB.. if it was the LGBTQ community would be a lot powerful, and we wouldn't be getting Killed everyday

posted on Jun, 5 2015 @ 12:27 PM
link   

Nothing quite like laying a big ol' media smoke screen

posted on Jun, 5 2015 @ 12:37 PM
link   
a reply to: Konduit

It's all part of the f'ing gay agenda, just like progressives have their own agenda to control every aspect of government.

I remember seeing something years ago that showed where gay leaders had actually created a list of items for things that they wanted. Each item expanded the gay agenda further and further until, like progressives, gay culture was the norm.

I've watched over the years those items get crossed off one by one. One item was actually getting civil unions THEN going after marriage.

It's all a big f'ing plot to demonize anyone who doesn't accept the gay culture.

posted on Jun, 5 2015 @ 12:46 PM
link   
a reply to: Metallicus

In a closed minded view maybe, and Yes Transgender People Do go to counseling. but it's not just about "Cutting off his junk" it's about living her authentic truth, her authentic self. i know it's buzz worthy to say "Cutting off his junk".. but that is ignorance talking

posted on Jun, 5 2015 @ 12:47 PM
link   

originally posted by: Greathouse

I honestly think your assumptions are rather broad . ( pardon the pun )

I know for a fact I fall under the 1%. Because I could not care less about Jenners personal choices this is the first thread I responded to and it was in passing . And honestly besides some good-natured ribbing. In public and I have yet to hear the issues actually discussed .

But I'm interested to see the actual percentages. I wish they had a poll on ATS , but in Lieu of that. Everybody that reads this post please sound off.

Do you yes or no , give a crap about what's going on with Bruce Jenner?

Edit; Only one vote so far and she did it twice . Lol

I really like to get a total percentage . If you reply I guarantee I will star your vote whether it's yes or no .

Don't care about her announcing herself to the world, sad that as a 'celebrity' based more on her relationship to the Kardashians that sporting prowess the American media are licking it all up.

BTW, even in the UK most of those stories that have allegedly been missed or glossed over have been reported, either our news is better or I and many others don't look for just the main gossip piece of the day. Worldtruth appears to be barking up its own tree here.

posted on Jun, 5 2015 @ 12:47 PM
link   

originally posted by: Freenrgy2
a reply to: Konduit

It's all part of the f'ing gay agenda, just like progressives have their own agenda to control every aspect of government.

I remember seeing something years ago that showed where gay leaders had actually created a list of items for things that they wanted. Each item expanded the gay agenda further and further until, like progressives, gay culture was the norm.

I've watched over the years those items get crossed off one by one. One item was actually getting civil unions THEN going after marriage.

It's all a big f'ing plot to demonize anyone who doesn't accept the gay culture.

What is the gay agenda exactly?

Any group shunned by society will create its own culture out of necessity.

As LGBT is now integrating into mainstream society, many, many businesses catering to LGBT are/have closed because they are no longer needed.

posted on Jun, 5 2015 @ 12:53 PM
link   

originally posted by: Quetzalcoatl14

I saw most of the 10 stories, too, before they were overshadowed by at least 2-3 articles on every news site about Caitlyn/Bruce/peeved off Kris/ Kim K finally pregnant (with twins, even!)/the Duggars, on and on and on.

You have to ask yourself while everyone is being distracted with the big shiny object OVER HERE, what are we not supposed to be seeing OVER THERE? Sometimes I wonder if TPTB actually encourage the celebrity trash culture and reality TV as the easiest, most cost effective way ever to distract the populace from what's REALLY going down in the world.

I do think you are right that this tactic is used sometimes. It's the old stage magician's trick: use the right hand to distract the audience while the left hand is doing a trick.

As to your second point, this is the whole "panem et circenses" argument, that perhaps the focus on professional/college sports, cheap entertainment, celebrities, reality shows, is a way to keep people distracted and subdued.

I can't agree with that, a lot of people for whatever reason just don't want anything deeper, it's cheap TV to actually make (kind of balances appearance fees if you use 'real' celebrities I guess) and people will watch it - same reason really it's soaps and situation comedies that have always drawn the highest figures. Put a Chekov drama on your primetime TV stations tomorrow and no matter how well acted and produced, viewing figures will be in the hundreds or dozens. This is no TPTB thing, it is exactly the same as circuses for ancient Rome - give the public what the public wants.

posted on Jun, 5 2015 @ 12:55 PM
link   
a reply to: Annee

I wish I could find that article...written back in the 80's, and I be able to show you the outline. But, thought I explained that the agenda was that the gay culture was eventually the norm. Perhaps you missed that.

posted on Jun, 5 2015 @ 12:57 PM
link   
a reply to: Quetzalcoatl14

Me doth thinketh you assumeth too much.

To me, it's not courage at all. It's complete and utter lunacy.
edit on 5-6-2015 by Freenrgy2 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 5 2015 @ 01:00 PM
link   

originally posted by: uncommitted

originally posted by: Quetzalcoatl14

I can't agree with that, a lot of people for whatever reason just don't want anything deeper, it's cheap TV to actually make (kind of balances appearance fees if you use 'real' celebrities I guess) and people will watch it - same reason really it's soaps and situation comedies that have always drawn the highest figures. Put a Chekov drama on your primetime TV stations tomorrow and no matter how well acted and produced, viewing figures will be in the hundreds or dozens. This is no TPTB thing, it is exactly the same as circuses for ancient Rome - give the public what the public wants.

The panem et circenses argument COMES from ancient Rome, where many believe TPTB back then used circuses and bread to pacify the lower classes.

I didn't say that it is true now. However, I wouldn't put it past a clever government to encourage it.

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join