It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Help ATS via PayPal:
learn more

10 Stories the Mainstream Media Ignored While Obsessing Over Caitlyn Jenner

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

+69 more 
posted on Jun, 4 2015 @ 03:05 PM
While this whole s**tstorm is clouding up the media airwaves there's been some groundbreaking stories. Don't get me wrong Miss Jenner's story is one of courage and bravery but whats being buried behind it is much more important such as #10 on this list. It irks me to see the american public (including the president!!) eating this up...then again its all apart of the plan right?? Thoughts???....

This week the world stopped turning to focus on the recent debut of Caitlyn Jenner, the Olympic athlete formerly known as Bruce. Jenner, the ex-husband of Kris Jenner and stepfather to Kim Kardashian, took a bold step in announcing her completed transition into the woman she always felt she was. She posed on the cover of Vanity Fairto premiere her new identity. This a monumental step forward for the transgender community that many hope will help foster increased tolerance in society. While this is a positive development, the degree of media attention devoted to the celebrity news story left many other equally important stories ignored.

While the world was debating whether or not it was Jenner’s right to become a woman, here are ten significant stories that deserve equal, if not more, attention:

1. Rand Paul received widespread coverage for delaying the Patriot Act’s renewal at the end of May. As a result of his filibuster and congressional inaction, the Patriot Act and its Section 215—one of the NSA’s justifications for bulk data collection—expired on Monday. Though this was lauded as a victory, this week the Senate pushed through the USA Freedom Act, selling it as a bill to respect the privacy of Americans. In actuality, it renews and arguably strengthens the government surveillance apparatus.

2. On Tuesday, news broke that the FBI has been conducting warrantless surveillance across the United States using a fleet of planes disguised as private aircrafts. It was responsible for mysterious planes flying over the Baltimore protests in May and surveilled as many as 40,000 people in one flight over Anaheim, California. In similar news, it was revealed this week that a single local police department conducted over 300 warrantless searches using highly secretive and controversial Stingray technology.

3. This week, NBC was caught manipulating footage of a witness interview to make the police shooting of unarmed college student, Feras Morad, seem less sinister to its audience. His death was one of nearly 400 police killings logged this year, alone.

4. In what appears to be good news, Congress moved this week to require police to report all killings and uses of force committed on duty. There has previously been no requirement and only 750 of 17,000 police departments voluntarily report such data. The law also requires reporting of police deaths on duty (this was already codified in a law passed in May) but nevertheless, signifies a growing shift toward police accountability.

5. A Department of Homeland Security investigation found that in 95% of cases, the TSA failed to find weapons and mock explosives smuggled through airports. Undercover DHS agents managed to sneak through 67 of 70 incidents without any hassle from the TSA, the administration that claims its services are necessary to keep Americans safe.

6. A “high value” Guantanamo detainee, Majid Khan, alleged this week that he was tortured by CIA agents with tactics worse than previously revealed. Though the Senate’s December torture report detailed gruesome techniques including forced rectal feeding and sleep deprivation, Khan claims he was sexually abused, hung nude from beams, and had his genitals dipped in ice water—among other offenses.

7. In a continuing, unsettling pattern, three more stories came to light of bankers meeting their death. The executive of American Express died mysteriously on an international flight while another jumped off the 24th floor of his apartment building in an apparent drug-induced suicide. Another story released this week detailed a Goldman Sachs employee found dead in her car in April. They join a growing list of bankers whose lives have ended prematurely.

8. In an all too common pattern, news surfaced this week that local police in Palm Beach, Florida engaged in illicit activity. As Anti-Media reported, “At least one minor and at least one sex-worker were invited to a private party on a golf course that was held by members of the Palm Beach Sheriff’s Department in 2012. Witnesses reported that members of the party were openly using coc aine and that the woman who attended the party was walking around the golf course fully nude.” This parallels the DEA’s recent drug cartel-funded prostitute party scandal as well as a plethora of cases where police use and sell “illicit” substances.

9. In a “once-in-a-century” discovery, archeologists in Russia discovered 2,400-year-old golden bongs. They contained trace amounts of opium and marijuana, suggesting (as the Palm Beach cop coc aine soiree does) that seeking altered states of consciousness is not a crime, but human nature. The findings further prove the failed war on drugs to be futile and obsolete.

10. A declassified Pentagon report revealed this week that Western governments helped to create ISIS, the infamous terrorist organization. According to the Defense Intelligence Agency report, “US and other western governments allied themselves with al-Qaeda and other Islamic extremist groups to oust Syrian dictator Bashir al-Assad. They suspected the consequences of this tactic would lead to the rise of an ‘Islamic State.’”

While Caitlyn Jenner’s transition into femininity is a newsworthy and ultimately positive story, the media’s incessant focus on celebrity gossip leaves a vast majority of relevant stories on the sidelines. If in a matter of several days this many stories could go uncovered by the mainstream media, consider how many have been sacrificed over the years in the name of covering celebrity deaths, weddings, breakdowns, and divorces—which come without the social progress of Caitlyn’s debut.

Click here for full article

posted on Jun, 4 2015 @ 03:16 PM
a reply to: Artorius

... I guess the other stuff did not have any news value. We knew all along that western agencies helped to bring ISIS up. There is though some news value that Russians did not sip vodka 2,400 years ago, but who knows. LEOs having side kicks - no news there. Some jihadist having his balls dipped in ice - cool - good for him - will rape less minors and cell mates - and - no news there either.

Kim Kardashians step father is now her step mother, and possible also a lesbian or semi-hetero ... Wow ... that is ... hurlendously more interesting

posted on Jun, 4 2015 @ 03:17 PM

Damn somehow I read about everyone of those News stories . Although I couldn't help but notice, your source had a more biased opinion on each story than any other source I read on the Internet or saw on TV.

I think Worldtruth is using the bait and switch tactic with this article .
edit on 4-6-2015 by Greathouse because: (no reason given)

+9 more 
posted on Jun, 4 2015 @ 03:19 PM
11. The ongoing catastrophe that is Fukushima Daiichi.

+3 more 
posted on Jun, 4 2015 @ 03:31 PM
Honestly I had no idea who the flying F* Caitlin Jenner was until last night.

But I did know all 10 news stories from the source you quoted. Shame what they choose to feed people, and what people delve into, mentally, such garbage information..

Who gives a # about other people's lives and their choices? You and I have our own. I'm more concerned who's affecting our lives on a daily basis, and if it's good, or bad for our future as a collective.

That's why I'm here, at an apparent conspiracy site

edit on 4-6-2015 by Elementalist because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 4 2015 @ 03:33 PM
super freedom act takes away more of our freedom,

police departments finally required to report when they execute people,

more bankers are dispatched for asking too many questions,

people used drugs in the past, too,

and the government manufactured itself an enemy to use as an excuse to make itself more powerful... lets talk about this athlete who happens to be sort of related to this celebrity!

posted on Jun, 4 2015 @ 03:37 PM
I saw most of the 10 stories, too, before they were overshadowed by at least 2-3 articles on every news site about Caitlyn/Bruce/peeved off Kris/ Kim K finally pregnant (with twins, even!)/the Duggars, on and on and on.

You have to ask yourself while everyone is being distracted with the big shiny object OVER HERE, what are we not supposed to be seeing OVER THERE? Sometimes I wonder if TPTB actually encourage the celebrity trash culture and reality TV as the easiest, most cost effective way ever to distract the populace from what's REALLY going down in the world.

edit on 6/4/2015 by Cheddarhead because: edited for clarity

posted on Jun, 4 2015 @ 03:39 PM
a reply to: Greathouse

Well its obviously somewhat of a bias site but your missing the point: most of those stories are at least as important ,others more so, yet 99% of America is more focused on Caitlin Jenner. Transgender-ism isn't new its just popular now because someone famous is involved. My feelings are simple, its getting too much attention GET OVER IT ALREADY PEOPLE!!! There are other things going on in this world that deserve your attention whether it be one of the 10 above or something else.

posted on Jun, 4 2015 @ 03:48 PM

I honestly think your assumptions are rather broad . ( pardon the pun )

I know for a fact I fall under the 1%. Because I could not care less about Jenners personal choices this is the first thread I responded to and it was in passing . And honestly besides some good-natured ribbing. In public and I have yet to hear the issues actually discussed .

But I'm interested to see the actual percentages. I wish they had a poll on ATS , but in Lieu of that. Everybody that reads this post please sound off.

Do you yes or no , give a crap about what's going on with Bruce Jenner?

Edit; Only one vote so far and she did it twice . Lol

I really like to get a total percentage . If you reply I guarantee I will star your vote whether it's yes or no .

posted on Jun, 4 2015 @ 04:16 PM
a reply to: Artorius I agree. It's a human interest story, it should be in entertainment news or very low down on news websites. It's a lovely magazine cover and I am happy for her. Partially it is because an 'olympic hero' did it and it sheds light on the struggles of the transgender community-- so maybe a tiny bit more than just TMZ stuff---but I was puzzled at it being 'breaking headline news'.

I DID read every story 'worldtruth' (whoever they are) mentioned, though.

edit on 4-6-2015 by reldra because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 4 2015 @ 04:16 PM
double post. accident.

edit on 4-6-2015 by reldra because: double post.

posted on Jun, 4 2015 @ 04:20 PM
a reply to: Greathouse Yes. (and then it got too much. sorry, not just a yes or no but I went with yes).

posted on Jun, 4 2015 @ 04:28 PM
People click on the stories they are interested in. A person reading or hearing of Caitlin Jenner is the same person hearing/reading of the other ten stories.. if the person is interested. Priorities.

I don't discuss BJ in public, but I do discuss the more important issues surrounding our lives.
It's all relevant.

posted on Jun, 4 2015 @ 04:32 PM

originally posted by: reldra
a reply to: Artorius I agree. It's a human interest story, . . .

Its not just a human interest story.

Its a Rights and Equality story.

Its very important to those it affects. Like the Transgender community.

What's important to you? Do any of those missed media stories affect you personally? Who are they really a big deal for? They are a big deal for those they affect.

Really - - no difference.

posted on Jun, 4 2015 @ 04:50 PM
Those kardasians, are they out of Star Trek? Why has Bruce changed his name to Caitlan? where do they live?
What are they famous for? What am I missing here? (there?).

posted on Jun, 4 2015 @ 04:53 PM
The Jenner drama only points out rather dramatically, how totally asinine gender roles are. They are just roles and all ego. Subdue the ego.

posted on Jun, 4 2015 @ 04:55 PM
a reply to: Greathouse

Yes i care about transgender issues, as a Member of the LGBTQ. i have my opinions of Caitlyn Jenner as a Celebrity, but as far as issues that do affect my life, Yes

posted on Jun, 4 2015 @ 04:59 PM

Mainstream media ignored these yet I saw 7 out of these 10 on mainstream sites/news programs.

And it's hard to make the argument that they were ignored when example 1 says "received widespread coverage"

posted on Jun, 4 2015 @ 05:03 PM
a reply to: Annee

Forgive my ignorance, but how is this a rights and equality issue?

He/she was well within her rights to do what she did and enjoys equal application of the law as an American citizen, correct?

This is a human interest story because it was someone famous that decided to go through the process of changing his/her gender.

That's my opinion anyway. Please set me straight if I'm off track. Transgender issues are not in my wheelhouse.

posted on Jun, 4 2015 @ 05:07 PM
a reply to: introvert

Sadly She ( as the rest of the LGBTQ community) don't enjoy equal application of the law everywhere. there are many issues that Transgender People will face

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>