It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Mysterious Oarfish of the Deep Washes Up on California Island

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 4 2015 @ 01:52 PM
link   
More fish from the deep washing ashore. This type of thing seems to be happening more and more in recent years. What's going on ATS?

Oarfish are of interest to scientists because they live in a largely unknown ecosystem of the oceanic mesopelagic zone, the part of the ocean that is about 660 to 3,280 feet (200 to 1,000 meters) below the surface.

This oarfish measured about 13.5 feet (4.1 meters) long, said Catalano, a conservation coordinator who said she believes the fish had washed ashore only minutes before the discovery. The serpent-like creatures can grow to be more than 20 feet (6 meters) long, according to the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration.

Is this a sign that something's going wrong in our deep oceans or is the increase in beaching simply due to better reporting of these events? I'd be willing to bet that things are going from bad to worse in our deep oceans. What says ATS?

news.yahoo.com...

posted on Jun, 4 2015 @ 02:15 PM
link   
Bad Omen if it was a Oarfish

posted on Jun, 4 2015 @ 02:19 PM
link   
a reply to: lostbook

Just like meteors, earthquakes, sunspots, and a plethora of other subjects . There is just far more news coverage on everything so you hear more.

But don't you worry someone with a ENE news article Will be along any second to blame it on Fukushima like they do with every animal death in the Pacific .

posted on Jun, 4 2015 @ 02:23 PM
link   
Didn't know they were that big. when you see them filmed in the dark things look smaller in size.

posted on Jun, 4 2015 @ 02:23 PM
link   

Put a cell phone in a few billion peoples hands and instapic / youtube on the www and you are going to see more of everything .

posted on Jun, 4 2015 @ 02:24 PM
link   
Man that thing is huge, always been fascinated by deep sea creatures. I think there's something wrong with the whole planet and deep down inside everybody knows, but many ignore or switch it off. I try to tell my wife about all these strange things happening and its right over her head like she lives in a Disney movie. Its so bizarre and hard to explain I feel that is how almost everybody is. Either seeking the truth or in complete denial. Sorry if a little off topic had to get that out, so thank you for the post.

posted on Jun, 4 2015 @ 02:49 PM
link   

Many weird things happening along Ca for years now. At the moment there is also the mystery of the tar.

Unidentified tar-like substance washes up on southern California beach

The Los Angeles Fire Department said that lifeguards in Manhattan Beach noticed the globs of the substance, which first made landfall at 10 a.m. local time and continued for approximately two hours. The U.S. Coast Guard and other agencies collected samples of the material and were still trying to identify the substance and its source.
www.foxnews.com...

The mystery of the whales in May

For the second time in three weeks, a dead whale has washed up on a Pacifica beach, and watchers of deceased whales returned to nearly the same spot to ask the same questions.
www.sfgate.com...

And much more
edit on 4-6-2015 by Char-Lee because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 4 2015 @ 02:50 PM
link   
There is an ocean floor burial ground. I would expect that if an oarfish dies of old age or something, that several hungry predators rush forward to munch on the remains. So what I'm wondering is what is making these fish float up to the surface when they are dying or have already died? Are these beach sightings so rare because there happened to be no predatory munchers down below at that spot?

posted on Jun, 4 2015 @ 02:54 PM
link   
I would argue it's el Nino. Warm currents deeper than they normally are surprise the fish living down there some don't make ut. Either due to warm water not carrying enough o2 or other similar reasons.

dead Giant squid usually start washing ashore in regions where these warm currents come through and dont usually.

Figure same is happening to things like oar fish and others due to el nino.

Happens every few years. Everything goes back to normal on non el nino years.

posted on Jun, 4 2015 @ 02:57 PM
link   
a reply to: Char-Lee

See i dont get this tar thing either. Tar washing ashore is normal in so cal. been going to the beach every year since I was a kid. Certain beaches always have it. Will Rodgers beach for example. Natural oil deposits and such. I would argue if the tar is normal at some beaches and then starts appearing at beaches where its not normal a little way down the shore its because el nino and not normal warmer currents carry the tar there.

posted on Jun, 4 2015 @ 03:18 PM
link   
a reply to: BASSPLYR

I think people blame El nino for too many things. Two came up in 2013
www.thedailybeast.com...

ggweather.com...

Shortly before the 2011 Tohoku earthquake and tsunami, about 20 oarfish stranded themselves on Japanese beaches, suggesting the fish could possibly have known that the temblor was coming, Mark Benfield, a researcher at Louisiana State University who's remotely videotaped the mysterious creature, told Live Science earlier this year. Or of course, as he added, it could just be a coincidence.
However, Japanese folklore has long connected the two. "In ancient times Japanese people believed that fish warned of coming earthquakes, particularly catfish," Hiroshi Tajihi, deputy director of the Kobe Earthquake Centre, told the Daily Telegraph. He dismissed the connection as "older superstitions," saying, "there is no scientific relationship between these sightings and an earthquake."

laist.com...

posted on Jun, 5 2015 @ 10:22 AM
link   

originally posted by: Char-Lee

Many weird things happening along Ca for years now. At the moment there is also the mystery of the tar.

Unidentified tar-like substance washes up on southern California beach

The Los Angeles Fire Department said that lifeguards in Manhattan Beach noticed the globs of the substance, which first made landfall at 10 a.m. local time and continued for approximately two hours. The U.S. Coast Guard and other agencies collected samples of the material and were still trying to identify the substance and its source.
www.foxnews.com...

The mystery of the whales in May

For the second time in three weeks, a dead whale has washed up on a Pacifica beach, and watchers of deceased whales returned to nearly the same spot to ask the same questions.
www.sfgate.com...

And much more

Yeah, there's something going on in the oceans. Something's wrong.

posted on Jun, 5 2015 @ 05:56 PM
link   

originally posted by: dreamfox1
Bad Omen if it was a Oarfish

why?

top topics

join