It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Fists of Fury/The Big Boss Film Survey From Cinema Classics Survey

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 4 2015 @ 01:16 PM
link   
My film study of the Bruce Lee mega hit and first international release of Fists Of Fury a.k.a. The Big Boss. Western-styled action flick, setting the foundation for all martial arts movies to follow.

Iconography: damsel in distress, the stranger new to town, the guy who takes care of business with fists and not a gun.

Inward conflict: violence vs. pacifism.

Modern themes: Workers vs. corporate greed.

Side themes: Drugs and prostitution.

Song: Tribal Fusion by Mario Tomic (permission given from Tomic as long as I credit him).

edit on 6/4/2015 by WarminIndy because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 4 2015 @ 01:31 PM
link   
Bruce Lee set the bar for all Martial arts to follow.

His film the Big Boss was the first one he made in Hong Kong for release in Asia. After Holly Wood failed to recognize him for what he had to offer, he left the Mountain of Gold behind and was surprised to discover that he had a following that loved his part in the Green Hornet. They called it the Kato show, and wanted to make a film with him…

Long story short, see The Brice Lee Story:

ETA: wrong name…
edit on 4-6-2015 by intrptr because: youtube, correction

posted on Jun, 4 2015 @ 01:43 PM
link   

originally posted by: intrptr
Bruce Lee set the bar for all Martial arts to follow.

His film the Big Boss was the first one he made in Hong Kong for release in Asia. After Holly Wood failed to recognize him for what he had to offer, he left the Mountain of Gold behind and was surprised to discover that he had a following that loved his part in the Green Hornet. They called it the Kato show, and wanted to make a film with him…

long story short, see The Brice Lee Story, staring his son Brandon Lee.

Yes, saw that.

I remember watching this movie as a child, my dad was a huge fan and spent many years studying Shotokan Kung Fu. Bruce Lee came up with the idea for the television show Kung Fu and pitched it to the producers, who then cast David Carradine, because they wanted a "less Asian looking" character.

posted on Jun, 4 2015 @ 01:46 PM
link   
a reply to: WarminIndy

Bruce Lee came up with the idea for the television show Kung Fu and pitched it to the producers, who then cast David Carradine, because they wanted a "less Asian looking" character.

I remember when Kung Fu came out, it was a mega hit. At the time I had no idea the story behind that. Now it fumes me.

"Looking less Asian", lol. Thats why he had to wear the mask as Kato, in the Green Hornet, too.

Americas not racist at all… is it?

posted on Jun, 4 2015 @ 01:55 PM
link   

Bruce Lee came up with the idea for the television show Kung Fu and pitched it to the producers, who then cast David Carradine, because they wanted a "less Asian looking" character.

I remember when Kung Fu came out, it was a mega hit. At the time I had no idea the story behind that. Now it fumes me.

"Looking less Asian", lol. Thats why he had to wear the mask as Kato, in the Green Hornet, too.

Americas not racist at all… is it?

It was the late 1960s and early 1970s, yes there was a lot. But not more than anywhere else in the world.

posted on Jun, 4 2015 @ 02:00 PM
link   

It was the late 1960s and early 1970s, yes there was a lot. But not more than anywhere else in the world.

Mmmm… eermmm… oaky, except read any about Ferguson, New York, Cleveland? Still ongoing issue today, it seems.

All life matters.

posted on Jun, 4 2015 @ 02:06 PM
link   

Mmmm… eermmm… oaky, except read any about Ferguson, New York, Cleveland? Still ongoing issue today, it seems.

All life matters.

Racism is everywhere.

Yes, all life matters.

posted on Jun, 4 2015 @ 02:07 PM
link   

I love Bruce Lee.

edit on 4-6-2015 by Swills because: (no reason given)

top topics

join