It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

A Question For All of America

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 4 2015 @ 12:29 PM
link   
Time and time again ive seen a statement spoken only by Americans.
Ive seen it here multiple times.
Ive seen it on other forums multiple times.
Facebook numerous times, every single day an American will post it along with a photo.
Its everywhere and i honestly don't understand the reasoning behind it.

I will say this. I am not trolling or being an ass about it, i am genuine in my confusion.

So the statemuent is this:

"our soldiers fought/are fighting for our freedom"

Thats it, thats all.

Now, i have asked a couple of times why Americans think and say this.

From my view (a non American) i can see that your freedom won't be affected no matter what.
Even if American troops (Vietnam) did lose, your freedom back home hasn't changed.
You are still free to go about your daily business.

So ATS Americans, why the statement?

ETA: unfortunately i have to go out for a couple of hours, so i will check in as soon as im back

+7 more 
posted on Jun, 4 2015 @ 12:39 PM
link   
a reply to: SecretKnowledge

It's because people believe the BS they have been fed. Since WW2 no American soldier have fought for American freedoms. Gen. Butler was right soldiers fight for corporations now. Simply because since WW2 all of the places that America has fought in have been no threat to America.

posted on Jun, 4 2015 @ 12:39 PM
link   

First off, I'm not offended by your question and I don't think you are being an ass by asking such question.

I look at it as this.... Soldiers have my up most respect! I come from a long line of military in my family so that respect comes from the freedoms I have today and the respect of my family members and other brothers and sisters of the military that have put their lives in harms way to protect myself, our country, our people, and most of all the foundation of what our forefathers worked so hard to accomplish when America was not free.

Yes, I agree our freedom will not be lost, but who is to say our freedom is always safe? That's why it has to be protected. I for one am a Patriot so to give honor to those that have fought for me and beside me, they are my brothers and sisters and I honor them with thanks, pride and honor for putting their lives on the line each and everyday.

posted on Jun, 4 2015 @ 12:43 PM
link   

Not everyone, Op! It's the narrative pounded in by the corporate media! The brainwashing has worked on some, but I have seen a shift and it seems people are waking up in droves!

posted on Jun, 4 2015 @ 12:43 PM
link   

originally posted by: buster2010

It's because people believe the BS they have been fed. Since WW2 no American soldier have fought for American freedoms. Gen. Butler was right soldiers fight for corporations now. Simply because since WW2 all of the places that America has fought in have been no threat to America.

Buster, I agree with your statement about corporations, but there was a time when soldiers fought for American freedoms. That's where I agree with "our soldiers fought for our freedom, and they protect the freedoms we have."

Yes I know that statement can be argued.

posted on Jun, 4 2015 @ 12:50 PM
link   

It's a phrase that USED to mean something back in the WW days, but has become empty rhetoric in this day and age. You are correct, soldiers in the US AREN'T protecting freedoms. But the reason it is repeated so often is because politicians and news pundits say it all the time, so the people repeat it. The Army pretends like it is true as well, so they'll repeat it constantly.

Though when I served in Iraq, I was under no delusions. I knew we weren't there protecting MY freedoms.
edit on 4-6-2015 by Krazysh0t because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 4 2015 @ 12:52 PM
link   
American here.

Fighting for our freedom, ehhh not so much. I see a copious amount of world policing going on. Playing man in the middle for smaller nations to make sure they are supported and their voices are not drowned out in the white noise of the UN.

All the while Americans are dying in the name of our....err others freedom.

I personally don't get it myself.

posted on Jun, 4 2015 @ 12:54 PM
link   

It's a meme created to motivate citizens to volunteer for the military, ignoring the facts stated in the OP.

This meme runs so deep because it is created with so much cultural context. Movies, TV, media, music, sports. Even strong, intelligent people can be programmed successfully.

The weak-minded are more or less powerless against this strong programming. It's on par with religious programs. The hooks are in so deep you would die for it.

posted on Jun, 4 2015 @ 01:01 PM
link   

As others have said: because the military used to fight for America. Used to. And, I should add, still can. They just haven't in a while.

And to correct your erroneous statement: American troops did not lose Vietnam. American politicians lost Vietnam. American troops pwned 'Nam.

posted on Jun, 4 2015 @ 01:15 PM
link   
Because we Americans constantly remind ourselves of the sacrifices of many.

These Men and Women willing went before us and gave all.

They "Gave All" so we don't have to worry about it.

So, we constantly remember these souls including members of my own family.

They came from every town. They came willingly. Some lied about their age to go fight.

To go and fight for an idea. They are worthy of being remembered. Never Forget...

edit on 4-6-2015 by whyamIhere because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 4 2015 @ 01:20 PM
link   
a reply to: KnightFire

What you said was exactly the point he is trying to make. You have just recycled all the propoganda of ww2 into 1 paragraph.

posted on Jun, 4 2015 @ 01:23 PM
link   
a reply to: raedar

Lmao. Great meme.

posted on Jun, 4 2015 @ 01:23 PM
link   
It's a form of propaganda that's used to stop people from being able to oppose war. The frame of thought is notorious in the US, but you can also find it in other countries. I've personally had people want to punch me for opposing current wars, because they claimed "your disrespecting the troops, who fight for our freedom!"

Even a lot of the more placid & rational people are are completely brainwashed by the notion. Like they'll agree Iraq was BS and a complete disaster, but then they'll say "but you have to support the troops".

It's feeble minded, to say the least.

posted on Jun, 4 2015 @ 01:29 PM
link   
a reply to: whyamIhere
Can you elaborate on any of these ideas that the military fight for to justify this programmed response? Would genuinely like to know when freedom was ever jeopardised other than civil war. (9/11 don't count cos securing oil pipelines doesn't ensure your freedom back home)

posted on Jun, 4 2015 @ 01:37 PM
link   
a reply to: rossacus

The only times that I would say that American soldiers were defending freedom was: Revolutionary War (establishing it), War of 1812 (maybe...), Civil War, WWI, and WW2 (we actually had countries declare war against us in the WW's so we were definitely defending freedom then, ESPECIALLY against the nazis in WW2).

Besides that, America has pretty much been at war for 214 out of the 239 years we've been a country. American soldiers have been stealing freedom and liberty FAR more than securing it.

posted on Jun, 4 2015 @ 01:40 PM
link   

There are tons of them. Even a "freedom meme" generator, lol....?

Generate some Freedom

posted on Jun, 4 2015 @ 01:40 PM
link   
a reply to: Krazysh0t
Cheers for that. I've always wondered why america didn't want part of ww2 based on there military history. It's why I will never accept a bad thing being said about Canada.

posted on Jun, 4 2015 @ 01:43 PM
link   

Canada sucks, eh?

Now what happens?

posted on Jun, 4 2015 @ 01:51 PM
link   
a reply to: Shamrock6

Looks like we need to settle this the old fashioned way....BRO DOWN! !!!!!!!

posted on Jun, 4 2015 @ 01:53 PM
link   

originally posted by: rossacus
a reply to: Krazysh0t
Cheers for that. I've always wondered why america didn't want part of ww2 based on there military history. It's why I will never accept a bad thing being said about Canada.

Well for the first 100 or so years we were a country we had this illusionary concept called "Isolationism". This idea was meant to suggest that Europe sticks to Europe and the US and the various New World colonies stick to the Americas. This effectively gave America free reign to run roughshod over the technologically under-equipped natives (Manifest Destiny) and impose our will on brand new countries in Central and South America (Banana Republics) without worrying about established countries in Europe getting in our way.

Then when WWI and later WWII broke out, we told the fighting countries in Europe that we wanted to stick to our "Isolationism" creed and not get involved. Though at the time there were PLENTY of Americans itching to get us involved in both wars.
edit on 4-6-2015 by Krazysh0t because: (no reason given)

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join