It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

USA Mental Health System

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 4 2015 @ 06:20 PM
link   
a reply to: bucsarg

Forced sterilization is OK with you then?

I have to ask because that is a primary tenet of eugenics.

posted on Jun, 5 2015 @ 02:16 PM
link   
Sorry for the delay in my reply. Been traveling.
Although this subject came up in my post and because I think it will happen doesn't mean I believe in it.

a reply to: greencmp

posted on Jun, 11 2015 @ 03:18 PM
link   

The problem is though that many Qualified Mental Health Professionals get stymied quickly by Medicaid, Medicare and those piece of crap private insurance companies. I have been a licensed therapist for only 4.5 short years and in that time I am losing count at how many people requested therapy...not pills....therapy...and liked working with me. Then BAM...sessions are over. Because insurance companies and state/federal insurance systems think you can magically set a time limit of therapy sessions.

Without exaggerating, I will tell you what I saw was the worst story I have been part of

We had a woman (adult) who endured fourteen years of sexual assault by father and brother. Upon entering my office she felt she was ready to finally make some progress. I explained *(as I am Existentialist/analytic in training) that even in CBT schools which are meant to be quick, trauma, ASD and PTSD do NOT progress rapidly. It is quite usual for it take take four-six months to even broach the topic of details (provided the client wants to discuss them at all) because the therapist must set up a heavy duty social/emotional grounding support system for the client to return to when he/she/we discuss details. You take it an inch at a time, then return to grounding...then a bit further...then ground...etc...

So I explained that we absolutely work with her insurance carrier and she was given a set money schedule/allotment in order to work with me. We lowered our price to extend...we got her insurance to agree to 18 sessions...18....18 1-hour sessions for a woman who'd been abused half her life. On the other hand this same carrier will spill coins and bills all over the floor if one psychiatrist says the word "Zoloft" (or other pills)

Yes there are most certainly some terrible therapists out there but try to understand that we have to fight the system just as much as the client does

Also, psychoanalysis, while very effective for some, is but one of hundreds of methods. As stated I practice analytic and existentialism but true psychoanalysis is an exceptionally lengthy and intense process often consuming two to three sessions per week for multiple years.

Now, with that said you are 100% correct on proactive vs reactive...but again...we therapist are made to stick in a reactive system because of taboo and the system itself. Our entire medical model and government is based on a "cure" instead of prevention. Well short of working with a few things like specific phobias or personal and short life issues, mental illness does not "cure." We help to cope and problem solve. But that is not how our system or society works. We don't gear ourselves up for prevention...so while there are definitely some awful therapists, the system is what crushes our good intentions and leaves us breaking ethical insurance borders or just straight out giving up.

posted on Jun, 12 2015 @ 08:08 AM
link   
Thank you for your excellent and enlightening reply.

I need to digest all the detail you have provided. Hope to reply back to you.
a reply to: KyoZero

posted on Jun, 12 2015 @ 10:38 AM
link   

100% your welcome

hoping very much that my approach was kind/gentle...I have a tendency to spark off when it comes to mental health...being a biased therapist and all

Great thread

posted on Jun, 12 2015 @ 08:02 PM
link   
I have been disgusted with the entire health insurance fiasco. The Health Insurance industry should not be dictating to health care professionals how to conduct their care. It's just fundamentally wrong. I had one incidence in which my surgeon had to play hardball with my medical insurance company to allow me to spend just one night in the hospital. He was pissed.

I am in no position to disagree with you regarding why the Mental health system cannot move in the direction of being proactive. I do, however, wonder in my mind that the Medical health system would have been faced with some of the same issues currently facing the Mental health system. Some how they have been able to make progress despite the issues and have been more proactive.

It's a pleasure communicating with you. And thank you for helping folks with their issues.

posted on Aug, 4 2015 @ 02:33 PM
link   
Can you help me? I am Schizophrenic. I am using Olanzapine 2.5 MG. I don't even know the actual disease. But that disease brought me here. I don't know if it's disease or blessing. I am miserable sometime and sometime I bloom. I wonder, I sparkle. i make friend and leave them. Love a woman who don't care about me and ignore the ones who loves me and understands me. I am wondering for one damn question? Why am I here? What's the purpose of my life? Or do I already have licence to kill myself? Will I will be home for doing so or back to earth? Everything seems possible for me. Everything. Yet nothing is satisfactory. Also I cannot sleep, cause my mind wonder. I close my eyes and there the most interesting movie in my vision. Related to nothing or something that can be boon to the world. I just don't know.. what else can I say

posted on Aug, 8 2015 @ 02:26 AM
link   
a reply to: rajibmistic

Sorry I just saw this and hope all is well

You need to seek assistance near you, and if you feel you are in danger in any way, please go to the nearest emergency room. Unfortunately, while we can comfort, none of us here, including professionals like myself can help you from our seats.

I hope you get help. You're a good person and strong for asking and I hope you find what you deserve

posted on Aug, 8 2015 @ 03:30 AM
link   
The problem is finding help. After the loss of my children, I drove most of my friends away because I couldn't cope and they didn't understand why I didn't just get help. I tried, but there were days the grief was so heavy I didn't have the strength to pick up the phone. By the time I actively starting seeking help, it felt impossible to navigate the system and find someone who took my insurance as well specialized in grief and trauma counseling.

When I finally found one, it was like I was seeing a clone of ATS's own Unity_99. I just don't find those philosophies helpful. I don't find comfort in spirituality. My purpose in life was being the best mother I could be, and raise children that would have a positive impact on society. I no longer had a purpose. I needed help in discovering that purpose. I knew what I needed but I didn't know how to get it. It took two and a half years to find someone that could offer me the kind of help I needed.

The people who are struggling the most are the ones the mental health professionals will never know about until it's too late because they don't know how to get help. Others need help but, their lives have the appearance of being fine, and they are ashamed to reach out.

I think there needs to be a movement in helping people find help. De-stigmatize reaching out for help in this culture of self sufficiency and pull your self up by your boot straps fallacy.

posted on Aug, 9 2015 @ 07:52 PM
link   

The only danger is that Oliza will have adverse effect on my health. Without it I cannot sleep or I don't want to sleep. Sleep is impossible, I can say. Any other way for good sleep? That's what I've been searching.

posted on Aug, 9 2015 @ 09:15 PM
link   

Planzapine (Zyprexa here) is a pretty good drug but yes it does have some ugly side effects. The things to really watch out for is you A1C levels (diabetes) and your blood sugar. There are certainly other pills to try that will also help with sleep but when it comes to any of the schizophreniform/schizophrenia illnesses, then the typical sleep aids such as Lunesta or the typical anti-anxiety pills such as Xanax and Ativan will not help with the overall psychotic effects. Have you tried haloperidol (Haldol) or Riperidone (Risperdal) yet?
edit on 9-8-2015 by KyoZero because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 17 2015 @ 12:48 PM
link   
I guess "haloperidol" is not available in my country. I'm getting used to without medicine. Hope it last for life time. Thanks for ideads.

posted on Sep, 17 2015 @ 05:57 PM
link   

For sleep, consider swimming.I have had times like that, when my mind would just wouldn't relax @ bedtime.Cardio helps, but I found swimming very therapeutic.Maybe swim some lengths casually at the pool.Give it a try, an hour or two can work wonders depending on your level of fitness...

top topics

<< 1   >>

join