It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Help ATS via PayPal:
learn more

What takes your breath away?

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

posted on Jun, 4 2015 @ 07:15 AM
No matter how old we grow, no matter how monotonous the daily grind happens to be, and no matter how predictable things become, there are those brief moments in life that have the power to take our breath away. Those moments where reality around us, our problems in life and rational thought are temporarily suspended and we bask in an impenetrable glow of awe. Not because we have become numb, but rather because we have become overwhelmed by a metaphysical force for which we cannot explain.

I personally experience this sensation most when listening to music. Even in times of darkness, the power of music to positively alter my mood and reach the depths of the soul is remarkable. What is it specifically about music that holds this power? Is it the vibrational aspects of the composition we are listening to? Is it the calming and catchy acoustics? Maybe a combination of both?

What experiences take your breath away?

posted on Jun, 4 2015 @ 07:19 AM
When my youngest daughter laughs.
When her laugh is genuine, her smile is so bright. She has no idea how beautiful and fragile she truly is...

I'm sure there are other things, but this one thing...does it for me...

posted on Jun, 4 2015 @ 07:20 AM
a reply to: Dark Ghost

Argon takes my breath away..

But a good live band will too

posted on Jun, 4 2015 @ 07:24 AM

Asthma or a good punch in the gut would do it for me!

Being at the births of my children was an indescribably experience that left me breathless!

posted on Jun, 4 2015 @ 07:27 AM
When I have Premature Ventricular Contractions, it takes my breath away. I have them every day.
I hate them.

posted on Jun, 4 2015 @ 07:30 AM

My breath falls short when for a brief moment, as my mind crosses amongst sonic intervals, suddenly time stops and I can see, I can glimpse the whole Earth, the Galaxy spinning around and the superclusters rushing by, the whole axis of Time on its trajectory to eternity, I realize that my existence is a mere extension of all of this, just like all of this are parts of my existence - these atoms which form my body were forged in the heart of the stars, these molecules of air I breathe has been shared across all of Earth's biosphere.

I can feel it all - the world's despair, the prayers, the tears, but what takes the most my breath away, is when I feel the potential, it is those who in the face of all that darkness, shine like a beacon of hope.

Thanks for asking.

edit on 4-6-2015 by swanne because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 4 2015 @ 07:39 AM
Had a specific experience two months ago.

I was leaving a supermarket one afternoon and spotted a beautiful woman by the vegetable section and recognised her immediately.

She and I dated for five years (splitting up in 1994 & I have always carried a little torch for her) and I haven't seen her since.

I have to say that it was profound how it affected me!
My breathing became difficult and my whole body came alive (No not what you are thinking!)

TBH I felt like a teenager again and literally twenty years fell away like cherry blossoms.

I actually approached her and my cool demeanor was not indicative of what was going on inside. I could hardly breathe and my ears were ringing. We chatted and exchanged numbers and remained in platonic contact.

Having come through a messy split with my recent ex (The Antichrist) and feeling nothing regarding interacting with humans for many years this really shook me up by how powerful this little faint spark in my heart exploded and filled my entire body like a mushroom cloud of raw emotion.

It was the first time I have felt anything in years.

And it gave me such hope for the future now I know that my heart is not really a dead zone.

So my having my breath taken away by my still beautiful ex of twenty years has actually opened up my heart a little and inspired me to soldier on and not to shut myself off from the possibility of meeting someone else. I felt like an appliance that had been in sleep mode for ages and suddenly sprang to life with lights and sound.

Having your breath taken away can open doors that were once firmly shut.

posted on Jun, 4 2015 @ 07:47 AM

A 45 or a 308 to the chest while wearing a type 3 vest, that tends to to my breath away, briefly anyway. I imagine waterboarding would do a good job as well.

Cheers - Dave

posted on Jun, 4 2015 @ 07:48 AM
When I come home late from work and see my mrs in bed, with the duvet ruffled up showing off the backs of her thighs....I'd better stop there for that one.

Sunrise, every time I witness it, but especially when it rises over the sea.

Cold air hitting my bare skin and stinging my lungs on a winter's morning.

Getting a series of corners on a rural road just right on a bike.

Realising how much I miss my dog now he has gone.

posted on Jun, 4 2015 @ 07:49 AM

Getting punched in the SOLAR-Plex generally does the trick.

posted on Jun, 4 2015 @ 07:51 AM
a reply to: bobs_uruncle

Thats so manly-

I feel like Bruce Jenner now and my hands are shrinking again.

posted on Jun, 4 2015 @ 07:53 AM
What takes my breath away?

About four years ago, there was a blackout in the north part of my state from bad storms. With all the lights being out, you could see the stars and it was so beautiful. I remember looking up at those beautiful lights and was amazed that a view like that could exist. That moment almost literally took my breath away because I'm asthmatic. It was so much to take in all at once. I mean I've seen pictures but to see it in person is so much better. I still think about that night sometimes.

posted on Jun, 4 2015 @ 07:56 AM

Call me pathetic, but I married the most beautiful (mentally and aesthetically) Irish woman in the world. I was engaged to another, and she cheated on me at the eleventh hour. 2 months later, in a pit of agony and hate, I met her. 18 years later, I am more in love today, than yesterday.

She is utter beauty, goodness and righteousness and power and grace in one hit.

Women envy her, men envy me and desire her. She is one in 7 billion and as I have said many times here, I am honoured when she refers to me as an idiot, because she is at least thinking of me.

She has honoured me with 2 beautiful children - a 7 year old boy obsessed with footy (go the Dockers), and an 11-year old daughter going on 19.

NOTHING in my life takes my breath away more than the aforementioned.

posted on Jun, 4 2015 @ 07:59 AM
a reply to: Rocketgirl

I am fortunate to live in an area with low light pollution.

I see the stars almost every day (when it's not cloudy).

A constant reminder of how small we are in this universe.

posted on Jun, 4 2015 @ 08:01 AM
a few things, recently, how much my better half has been doing for me, she's really something else and i will probably never be able to understand all the ways in which she has fixed me.

Other than that, call me old fashion, but it's the stars.
I don't know a thing about astrology, i confuse the big dipper with the little one.
but there is something in those dots in the sky, some all bunched up together like they are keeping each other warm, or keeping the darkness away, some by themselves, shining bright.
Like some beautiful living painting we can all share.
and no matter how old you are or what your walk of life is, you have that moment when you see a shooting star a part of you smiles, or just goes wow.
I think i saw a star "die"a few times, i remember it going brighter and brighter, like those lamps you can regulate with a remote, and then...nothing, just the black sky in it's place.
seeing the last moments of a star that died who knows how many millions of years before i was born, makes you feel kinda humble.

posted on Jun, 4 2015 @ 08:07 AM
Baby animal bellies! They are the cutest things on earth and when I see them I sigh with happiness.

posted on Jun, 4 2015 @ 08:19 AM
Some of my experiences with the cosmos or if some of it is guides, then inner cosmos reflected out.

When the curtain lifts, and you feel family and joy, higher frequency (heaven is flowing through you), and your just filled with happiness, faith in Good, your mind rises above all this gravity and home is there.

And here, moments of Love with children and family. Nature.

But the first, somehow your frequency is raised above this and there is no place like home, no place on earth like home. Joy/Happiness flows through you and I'm so grateful for those moments while here.
edit on 4-6-2015 by Unity_99 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 4 2015 @ 08:26 AM
a reply to: swanne

You are very lucky to be able see a view like that almost every night. If you're not use to seeing that kind of view then it can be breath taking and quite a treat at the same time. It's so amazing.

posted on Jun, 4 2015 @ 08:56 AM
Climbing Mt. Katahdin when I was 12 and reaching the peak.

The first time I made fire with two sticks, lots of sweat and blisters.

The first time I saw the Aurora Borealis.

When I watched the blu-ray of Avatar on a $2000 television. Seriously, it looked real.

Just some random thoughts...

posted on Jun, 4 2015 @ 09:25 AM

A metaphysical force? Something like pixie dust?

I'm sorry I cannot relate. In my travels I've never come across such a force, and my breath was always taken away by real things, real people, real situations. I have yet to get it back. Now that my adventuring days have become less and less, domestication is my last frontier. Apparently,, I'll need all the breath I can get.

new topics

<<   2  3 >>