It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Anyone been to Copenhagen?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 4 2015 @ 05:12 AM
link   
Each year myself and the misses have a weekend away (or 2) without the kid.

Usually we go to Amsterdam but I fancy a change, were already booked up for this year in October but my itchy feet are looking at March for next year and I fancy Copenhagen.

Anyone got any thoughts or advice?

I wont be telling her until its booked if I do decide to go so cant ask her for advice, she will shout at me and say NO!

posted on Jun, 4 2015 @ 05:42 AM
link   
a reply to: michael1888

Well, i live in Copenhagen, you should IMO come here, it's a great town with tons of options for a cultural good time.

Right now starting yesterday continuing to Sunday, we have the electronic street festival Distortion, each day they setup stages covering a whole new town district and pump out all genres of electronic music untill 22:00 where Clubs and Discos take over, each day also has a theme ending Sunday with Chill Out to calm your body down from the "noise".

But all summer there is always great music festivals covering everything from Jazz to hard rock.

And don't forget to Visit Christiania (Free Town Christiania Copenhagen), for some very nice relaxation that T&C wont allow me to describe

edit on 4-6-2015 by Mianeye because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 4 2015 @ 05:54 AM
link   
Cristiana sounds like my kinda place, Cheers my friend a reply to: Mianeye

Is it easy to navigate?

posted on Jun, 4 2015 @ 06:05 AM
link   

Very easy, public transportation is Top notch, covering buses, Metro, S-Train, and inner city have free electric bicycles stationed in strategic places, just pick up and go where ever you want and park it when done with it.

Copenhagen is an Historic City which have maintained it's old look mixed with new architecture, museums, old town, castles, and huge parks are plentiful.

It's a relatively small town so everything is kind of close, but people and tourist centers are very helpful, and will gladly guide you.

Christiania is an old military base taken over by The People and made in to a free place hence the name Free Town Christiania, very cultural and nice atmosphere, and not far from City Center.
CLICK ME (WIKI)

posted on Jun, 4 2015 @ 06:06 AM
link   

I'm from the states, and I went to Copenhagen on my way to Latvia. I also saw Stockholm, and Paris. Copenhagen was clean, nice to visit and it seemed the people took pride in there town and culture. The price was comparable to the USA. Didn't have too much difficulty talking to people as most spoke English if their younger and they appreciated the opportunity speak English. I absolutely loved it, go see the canals, the fort, the statue of the "little mermaid" those are some big things to see. Hans Christian Anderson is big there. Was by far the best big city I visited. Paris sucked. Dirty, a lot of poor immigrants begging, hot, did I mention dirty. No ac in the trains, dirty, rude people, dirty, the sites were amazing, but it was dirty. Did I mention dirty? Stockholm was great, had a blast, loved the fjords. Took a cruise from Riga to Stockholm overnight, well worth it. My only complaint with Stockholm was the cost. Once you get there you will pay an arm, leg, and your left nut for everything, but still it's an amazing city to visit. Over all I would go back to Copenhagen again.

posted on Jun, 4 2015 @ 10:25 AM
link   

originally posted by: michael1888

Usually we go to Amsterdam but I fancy a change, were already booked up for this year in October but my itchy feet are looking at March for next year and I fancy Copenhagen.

Anyone got any thoughts or advice?

I wont be telling her until its booked if I do decide to go so cant ask her for advice, she will shout at me and say NO!

Definitely go to Copenhagen. I spent about four days there in 2010.

And, Cristiania is really cool, especially if you have an artistic or counter-culture streak. Artists, hippies, musicians, gardens. And, let's just say that certain things are quasi-legal there that are legal in Amsterdam.

www.buzzfeed.com...

posted on Jun, 4 2015 @ 10:29 AM
link   

originally posted by: camain

I'm from the states, and I went to Copenhagen on my way to Latvia. I also saw Stockholm, and Paris. Copenhagen was clean, nice to visit and it seemed the people took pride in there town and culture. The price was comparable to the USA. Didn't have too much difficulty talking to people as most spoke English if their younger and they appreciated the opportunity speak English. I absolutely loved it, go see the canals, the fort, the statue of the "little mermaid" those are some big things to see. Hans Christian Anderson is big there. Was by far the best big city I visited. Paris sucked. Dirty, a lot of poor immigrants begging, hot, did I mention dirty. No ac in the trains, dirty, rude people, dirty, the sites were amazing, but it was dirty. Did I mention dirty? Stockholm was great, had a blast, loved the fjords. Took a cruise from Riga to Stockholm overnight, well worth it. My only complaint with Stockholm was the cost. Once you get there you will pay an arm, leg, and your left nut for everything, but still it's an amazing city to visit. Over all I would go back to Copenhagen again.

I agree with everything you said. However, Sweden is the cheapest out of Denmark, Norway, and Sweden. I went to all three. Denmark and Norway are more expensive, including Copenhagen.

Oslo was the worst. For a while there Oslo was the most expensive city in the world. I remember going for drinks there and some of the bars having literally $22 beers.

Paris IS over-rated. I think that Paris' reputation is riding on its hippy/bohemian/artist flair from 100 years ago as well as the fact that back in the day Paris was one of the cultural capitals of the world. Even my French friends would kind of agree with this assessment. However, it is still a fun city with lots of sights.

posted on Jun, 4 2015 @ 12:46 PM
link   
Been to Copenhagen many years ago. Really nice place, people are friendly and the food is great! Would recommend a visit, wouldn't mind visiting again.

posted on Jun, 4 2015 @ 01:43 PM
link   

I too live in Copenhagen - and have been for some thirty odd years.

While I would recommend everyone visiting Copenhagen, I would urge first time visitors to go in the summer or late spring. If you want to explore the city you would want to do it it without the cold-snow-slush-rain-nastiness that is winter and early spring.

Well. It is not that we have particularly bad winter weather. It is just that if you would want to wander about a bit and not go straight from point a to b, you would have a so much better time when the weather is nice. Copenhagen has a lot of gems that you will only find by doing that, and really, it owes a lot of its charm to its street life, and that definitely gets proportionally more enjoyable with the weather.

Also Copenhagen is one of the greenest capitols of the world with lots of small parks and gardens. Below is a picture of the view from my balcony that I just snapped. See all the trees around the buildings? You really want to be here when the leaves are green. To me that when Copenhagen is at its most beautiful.

(and so are its women)

That said, I think Copenhagen is enjoyable all year round but compare ti this winter pic:

And remember that a lot of the indoor activities (no, not THAT; I am talking about dining and going to museums and galleries!) that Copenhagen has to offer are not that kid-friendly.

If and when you go, you are more than welcome to PM me, and I will be happy to help you find the things-to-do-of-the-season.

Cheers.

posted on Jun, 4 2015 @ 01:46 PM
link   

originally posted by: michael1888

Oh, without the kids .. I didn't see that!

posted on Jun, 4 2015 @ 05:34 PM
link   
Just got home from the street fest Distortion, this time in the area of Vesterbro, i love Copenhagen....Yeah i'm pretty "chill" right now, MMmmmm...

From 2014..just to show the feel.

posted on Jun, 4 2015 @ 06:09 PM
link   
I went there in the late '90s one weekend on a whistle-stop tour of Denmark. I was with my brother and a group of guys I didn't know, so had to go wherever they decided to drive.

All I recall of Copenhagen was the Tivoli Gardens and my regret that I wasn't able to see it as the guys had other plans. It was November and it's supposed to be a must-see attraction on the run-up to Christmas.

posted on Jun, 5 2015 @ 02:29 AM
link   
Great post and thanks for the offer of assistance.

We live on the west coast of Scotland so rain is like our shadow.

I will be coming to Copenhagen, you guys have sealed the deal.

Will be March next year as Our October trip this year has been booked for Amsterdam.a reply to: DupontDeux

new topics

top topics

join