It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Homeless people to be fined up to £1,000 for sleeping rough.

page: 6
<< 3  4  5    7 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 4 2015 @ 02:10 PM
link   
a reply to: seagull

Agreed.
Tens of thousands of taxpayers petitioned the council when they tried to slash the funding, and they were forced to back down.
Shifting the homeless to other towns and dishing out penalties of £100 is never going to address their individual problems, just make them poorer when the penalty is deducted from their cash benefits by the department for work and pensions.

We actually have a disproportionate amount of homeless here as it's nicer to be homeless by the seaside than in some concrete jungle city, and yes our services certainly do attract people from outside of the area, but I don't care as many years ago I was also someone who moved here to sleep on the streets.
I support the services which I never had, and while three quarters or so of the people our services assist actually get resettled again I will always support it.

What Hackney is doing is something that would never be supported in my area of the world, there would be outrage.
But again, different places, apples and oranges, I just know I prefer living in a community which seems to care about the less fortunate.

...and cold as it sounds, if we didn't have the hostel and outreach service we'd have many people sleeping on the tourist strip streets and that could potentially put tourists off from coming back. They bring the majority of cash into our economy so a safe place out of sight of the tourists is good economic sense.

posted on Jun, 4 2015 @ 02:19 PM
link   
a reply to: grainofsand

It's nice to hear that communities still exist. Cos hackney has a diverse set of different cultures there is no social cohesion, and because it is the roughest area in London by far people won't help a fellow man out of fear.

Just to ask, are the houses located close to the shelter substantially lower in value to other areas in Plymouth?

posted on Jun, 4 2015 @ 02:21 PM
link   

originally posted by: stargatetravels
Is this more of your Conservative Government Policy?

Hackney Council is Labour controlled..... With a directly elected Labour Party Mayor. Nothing to do with those "evil Conservatives"....

Hackney Council

posted on Jun, 4 2015 @ 02:22 PM
link   

originally posted by: zazzafrazz
It's so the can get them into jail due to non fine payment.....

Then they get a roof over their head, a warm comfy bed, 3 meals a day, and medical care.

Sounds like a win-win for the homeless folks.

posted on Jun, 4 2015 @ 02:37 PM
link   
a reply to: rossacus

Totally understand the different issues there must be in Hackney, at the last census my area was recorded as 98% white British, it's why I say our experiences are apples and oranges.
I'm at the seaside in an economy dominated by tourism, we have to do things differently here.
Even our police are friendly, maybe one in ten carry a tazer at most, I authored a thread about it last year,
Is it police numbers or a nice environment that keeps the peace, or is it just a crazy mix?
...and these are the figures for the Devon & Cornwall police constabulary:
Winter = 1 cop per 954 citizens
Summer full of tourists = 1 cop per 5092 citizens
Brutality and horrible policing just wouldn't wash down here, they are well outnumbered as it is so they go for the friendly approach first, every time.

...oh and the hostel I'm referring to is not in Plymouth, but yes, it is in an area which has lower property prices, I'm sure that could be said about every hostel for the homeless though couldn't it. The costs involved in setting up any hostel pretty much dictates that it is in a cheaper area.

posted on Jun, 4 2015 @ 03:10 PM
link   

originally posted by: andy06shake

Homeless people could be fined up to £1,000 for sleeping in doorways near popular tourist spots, under new rules launched by a London council. It’s not clear how destitute rough sleepers are expected to pay. Hackney Council’s Public Space Protection Order bans sleeping in public places – offenders are handed a £100 fixed penalty, which can rise to £1,000 in court. It’s not clear how destitute rough sleepers are expected to pay. Hackney Council’s Public Space Protection Order bans sleeping in public places – offenders are handed a £100 fixed penalty, which can rise to £1,000 in court.

Homeless people to be fined up to £1,000 for sleeping rough.

Came across this articular and i have to say im totally sickened.

Good luck with that approach as i imagine not that many people who are homeless have £100 never mind £1000. When will these moronic fools relies you cannot get blood from a stone.

Can 'workhouses' be far behind?

posted on Jun, 4 2015 @ 03:19 PM
link   

originally posted by: FyreByrd
Can 'workhouses' be far behind?
Well the OP story is a decision taken by a local council and seemingly supported by the majority of local voters, or more people there just don't really care.
It is not representative of the wider UK, and I am certain if my borough council tried it on they would be forced to back down pretty quickly.
We don't take kindly to cruel punitive legislation by local officials in these parts.

posted on Jun, 4 2015 @ 06:49 PM
link   

interesting, you helped saved the foxes and directed the energy of those that hunt the fox down for pleasure and sport.. hmmm I wonder where that bloodlust went too ?

I sometimes wonder what would happen if they ever banned football ,

that might present an interesting redirection of energy's

funbox

posted on Jun, 4 2015 @ 06:56 PM
link   
a reply to: funbox

FYI - Fox hunting isn't banned, hunts still carry on and the nasty, little red bastards still get what's coming to them

Although I am unsure if many fox hunts where based in Hackney....

posted on Jun, 4 2015 @ 07:11 PM
link   
a reply to: stumason

your not related to a member of an unfortunate frenzied chicken massacre are you ? how they like to kill every last one, ironic really

so , whats this underground elite foxhunting club like ? im not even going to espy , someone's telling porkies

oldMcdonaldBox

posted on Jun, 4 2015 @ 07:13 PM
link   

Sorry man, I don't get whatever deep message you are trying to convey.
Perhaps PM me about it, I was only providing an example of protest when you appeared to claim that protest is futile.

posted on Jun, 4 2015 @ 07:21 PM
link   

well according to Stumason it was futile ..

all I can tell you is what I think, ive never been one for protest , unless a medium rare steak come cremated
I don't think significant changes can be made via it .. strange how warfare does though...

funbox

posted on Jun, 4 2015 @ 07:24 PM
link   

No need to be underground, hunting Foxes is not illegal... Hunting them with dogs is if you allow the dogs to make the kill, however, if you use the dogs to track them and then shoot/poison the animal, or are unable to control the dogs who then rip it to shreds, then no crime has been committed. Alternatively, most of the hunts still continue using a fake fox...

It's a rather pointless law really...

posted on Jun, 4 2015 @ 07:28 PM
link   
a reply to: stumason

amusing , why use a fake fox when you can use a law embroiled in doublethink and loopholes

I think that might be a bit big to fit on a protest board though

funbox

posted on Jun, 4 2015 @ 07:29 PM
link   

originally posted by: funbox
ive never been one for protest
Oh, right, just accept everything between periods when we get the vote then yeah?
Interesting, but not my cup of tea.
I wish you well with that.

posted on Jun, 4 2015 @ 07:42 PM
link   

i eat steak more than four times a year , statistically i could be protesting more times than the now five year intervals of government,

i would like to say over the last five years that protesting has done some good , but all i see is manipulation to rioting and ineffectual vandalism of cashpoints , like this is going to bring those that robbed us down.

i don't vote for puppets controlled by corps

ill send you're well wishes to the chef though

funbox

funbox

posted on Jun, 4 2015 @ 07:57 PM
link   

don't get me wrong though Grainofsand

im not saying that nothing should or could be done but we need something akin to..

did you ever play that game at school in class ... the humming game ?

funbox

posted on Jun, 4 2015 @ 10:04 PM
link   

I think were at a point where homelessness, is allowed because it says to the sheeple, that if you don't tow the line that's where you will end up. It makes people work harder to avoid the situation. But in the end the spirit is broken, no one tells jokes anymore. Most of the population is one pay day away from destitution. You had a labour government, just as bad as the Tories. In fact parallel political parties. If you do make any money, ridiculous housing costs will erode it. The revolution came and went and no one noticed.

posted on Jun, 5 2015 @ 04:23 AM
link   
a reply to: FyreByrd

"Can 'workhouses' be far behind?"

Well its not as if there are many proper jobs or adequate accommodation available to people who are in this position. I dont imagine its beyond the realms of possibility that someone or some government agency somewhere is already drawing up plans that will revamp the notion of the workhouse to be inline with what "they" deem is acceptable treatment by today's standards regarding some of the most vulnerable and helpless members of our society aka our homeless population.
edit on 5-6-2015 by andy06shake because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 5 2015 @ 04:44 PM
link   
a reply to: anonentity

so where do you see this all heading >?

funbox

new topics

top topics

<< 3  4  5    7 >>

join