It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What is our world coming to...?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 3 2015 @ 11:55 PM
link   
Hate crime task force eyes subway shove; victim transgender

NEW YORK — New York City police say the hate crime task force is now investigating the case of a transgender woman who was shoved onto the subway tracks.

Authorities say the 28-year-old woman was pushed around 9 a.m. Monday as she stood on the southbound platform at the Bleecker Street station in Greenwich Village.

Police say a man approached her and said "What are you looking at?"

They say he then grabbed a plastic bottle from a garbage bin, threw it at her and pushed her to the tracks.

The man fled the scene.

Really? Is this the state of our country, our world. Are we so insecure in ourselves that we must attempt to kill those who are different from us?

Bruce Jenner, now Caitlyn Jenner, now by all accounts completely happy with the changes she's made in her life. More power to her.

But, I'm sorry to say, she is probably the exception to the rule.

What's it like to be a transgender woman...

The Internet cheered Caitlyn Jenner's coming out in Vanity Fair as a watershed moment in transgender visibility. It's not often that someone becomes a cover model and a trending topic on social media and breaks a Guinness World Record for fastest Twitter account to reach 1 million followers.

For most transgenders this sort of acceptance is something they can only dream of...even from their own families. Why is that, I wonder? Are we so unsure of ourselves that we can't accept someone who has, essentially, come to terms with exactly who they are. Seriously, why are some of us so threatened that the only response you can come up with is to try to push them in front of a train? Families completely disown sons, daughters, mothers, fathers, or any other family member...

Why? I'm, quite honestly, totally confused by that. If my niece, since I have no children of my own, were to decide to become Joseph, I would still love her more than life itself. Honestly, what's changed, she would still be the same person I've adored since she was five days old. I've known her longer than her own father has...how could I throw away twenty plus years of the closest relationship I've ever had?

The more I think about it, the angrier I get. These folks have made a decision that deserves applause, not condemnation. They're braver than I could ever be. They are flying in the face of condemnation, hatred, and fear. ...and humans have a nasty habit of reacting badly when dealing with those sorts of emotions. As we've seen all too often. Yep, anger.

Kaitlyn Jenner, hopefully, can help the process of societal acceptance continue. It's to be hoped for, even prayed for. I'll do both.

posted on Jun, 4 2015 @ 12:05 AM
link   
a reply to: seagull

I do wonder, but I suspect it has always been the way it is now... but with much less technology.... or maybe there was technology and we lost it.... or maybe we all slipped into a parallel world.

posted on Jun, 4 2015 @ 01:01 AM
link   
also the home invasions and robberies you saw that wonderful Family in DC How Horrible and for what ? and tonight's media another band of teenagers go into a local store and take what they want and leave without paying and if you try to stop them your Dead, and then the fast food fights and the one or two people who try to break up a 20 to one beat down where one person was being beaten to almost Death and the one person who tried to help was beaten almost to Death for trying to help . what is going on and how far will this go ? If you stand by and watch your not helping and if you try to help some one at deaths door you will be at deaths door as well . and all this in addition to the Subway Pushers. You can't walk the street in fear of a drive by Shooting or a Stray Bullet, and it's not just New York City, It is Happening in all major cities in this country and now to small towns, it is a Growing High speed Cancer. and the groups that go into a jewelry store and smash the display cases with a hammer and take whatever they can with no fear of Police. What is the answer, what can be done ? any discussion is welcome thanks and to all the best and be safe the world is changing , again.

posted on Jun, 4 2015 @ 02:17 AM
link   
I suppose there are a myriad of reasons why people treat each other they way they do. It is very sad and frustrating to see such hatred and violence in the world.

posted on Jun, 4 2015 @ 03:14 AM
link   
All I can say is transgender people have a really rough time of it. I've only known one that I know of. Male to Female. After her operation she was so happy that she was finally who she always felt she was, and then within 6 months had killed herself after the unrelenting assault of what others would say to her on a daily basis.

posted on Jun, 4 2015 @ 04:41 AM
link   
Bravo Zulu, Seagull. Don't mean to nitpick but she spells it with a C-aitlin. I bet the name Caitlin will drop off the charts as a popular name. You are right though. What is our personal hang up with someone changing their identity? How does it affect me personally? Not at all. Same with a gay relationship, it doesn't affect me in any way.

I remember going to San Francisco in the Navy in the mid eighties. One of my ship mates was going on about having to turn down a gay request from someone that would want him and it wasn't a non violent type of response. I told him not to flatter himself. I informed him that gay people know their people. The last thing a gay person would do is try to initiate a sexual encounter with a homophobe.

Live and let live. You never know what you would miss from somebody because you cut them short as another human being and assuming they have nothing of value to add to your life experience. Much simpler than being antagonistic.

posted on Jun, 4 2015 @ 09:06 AM
link   
The world has come an incredibly long way when it comes to gay or transgender people, infact it's never been better.

We've come a long way but one horrible incident isn't indicative of the whole.

One day soon it'll be seen as just be another section of society.

posted on Jun, 4 2015 @ 09:14 AM
link   

originally posted by: Prezbo369
The world has come an incredibly long way when it comes to gay or transgender people, infact it's never been better.

I think that bolded statement is a tall claim. The Native Americans used to accept gay people readily. Transgenders have been part of Eastern Asian culture for a while. Namely Thailand. Then there is the Greeks. In fact, I think it is safer to say that when Christianity took over, we entered a dark time for gay or transgender people that we are only now just crawling out of.

We've come a long way but one horrible incident isn't indicative of the whole.

One day soon it'll be seen as just be another section of society.

Many of the millennials already think this way when it comes to homosexuals. Transgenders probably aren't that far behind them.

posted on Jun, 4 2015 @ 09:20 AM
link   

Our world has always been hate-filled.

I think a better question might be, "When was the last time in history that we haven't been a population of jerks with biases, irrationality, hatred?"

posted on Jun, 4 2015 @ 09:26 AM
link   

Inner city thug lyfe culture and those who support it, idolize it, or imitate it, and get outraged when one of them gets their just due is what is wrong with the US.

Watch it will be some gansta wanna be thug who perpetrated this crime.

edit on 4-6-2015 by MoreBeer because: (no reason given)

edit on 4-6-2015 by MoreBeer because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 4 2015 @ 11:15 AM
link   

It's enough to make one just want to give up trying... So many people are just filled with hatred, stemming from fear. This is the sad state of our country today, with the authorities peddling fear at every opportunity. The only saving grace is the hope that love is a stronger force than hatred, and will eventually win out.

I'm very embarrassed by the acts of my fellow countrymen at times...

Your link is missing the address - FYI

posted on Jun, 4 2015 @ 11:20 AM
link   
a reply to: Benevolent Heretic

Aw don't give up all hope. There is plenty of love and hope to go around.

2) The day starts with your smile every morning. When you get up, wear it first.

posted on Jun, 4 2015 @ 01:25 PM
link   

originally posted by: Krazysh0t
originally posted by: Prezbo369

I think that bolded statement is a tall claim. The Native Americans used to accept gay people readily. Transgenders have been part of Eastern Asian culture for a while. Namely Thailand. Then there is the Greeks. In fact, I think it is safer to say that when Christianity took over, we entered a dark time for gay or transgender people that we are only now just crawling out of.

Well yeah, I was talking about modern civilisation civilisation, I hear the pagans didn't have any issues with homosexuality either......and yeah the whole homophobic thread we have had throughout the last 2000+ years and all the horrors homosexuals have endured are due to the apparent arrival of a certain meek and mild, sandal wearing, wandering jew.

edit on 4-6-2015 by Prezbo369 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 4 2015 @ 01:31 PM
link   
a reply to: Prezbo369

Ok. As long as we are on the same page. It's kind of a pet peeve of mine when people talk like Christian European history is the only history that matters or the only history that happened, when the WHOLE world has history spanning back similar lengths of time as Christian European (and Middle Eastern) history. But you appear to understand this as well so no harm no foul.

posted on Jun, 4 2015 @ 01:51 PM
link   
a reply to: bobw927

There's nothing that can be done about it, at least not on a personal level, except to avoid the major metro areas like the plague.

The Government on the other hand? I think they see this escalating, spinning out of control and that's why they're discussing doing away with Posse Comitatis and are preparing the military for rapid interdictions into the major metro areas. If they go in armed, enforce curfews and shoot first and ask no questions ever, it might just work. But...there's a hell of a lot of killing that needs to be done to get this fixed.

new topics

top topics

join