It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Texas gov poised to roll back 140-year-old open carry gun ban

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 3 2015 @ 03:42 PM
link   
GO Texas! Shocked they have not done this sooner.

source

The near-certain signing into law of an open-carry gun measure will send Texas back to the days of the Wild West – at least legislatively.

The bill, passed by the state Legislature and expected to earn Gov. Greg Abbott’s signature within the next week, would reverse a 140-year-old ban on carrying handguns in plain sight. Despite its reputation as a pro-gun state, Texas is one of just five with an outright ban on open carry.

And this....

“It’s a thumbs up for law-abiding citizens,” said Rep. Debbie Riddle. Riddle, a Republican who represents part of Houston and co-sponsored the bill. “Everywhere there is a denial of Second Amendment rights, crime is through the roof. It’s a deterrent. If someone is going to rob a convenience store and there are other people inside with guns on their hips, they might think twice.”

Now that is someone I can fully support. Put the people back in control. Criminals SHOULD be afraid to be criminal.

posted on Jun, 3 2015 @ 03:47 PM
link   
a reply to: Vasa Croe

Speaking as a Brit I am now quite certain that I will never go to Texas. How many irresponsible nitwits will now start walking down the street and shoot themselves by mistake?

+7 more 
posted on Jun, 3 2015 @ 03:52 PM
link   

originally posted by: Darkmind

Speaking as a Brit I am now quite certain that I will never go to Texas. How many irresponsible nitwits will now start walking down the street and shoot themselves by mistake?

I would imagine not many. I live in an open carry state and have managed not to shoot myself, nor know anyone that has, for 38 years.

They must do a number on you guys in the UK news as to how we are in the US. It's a shame.

Though I guess I could say the same about taking my kids for a visit there...wouldn't want them to get molested.

posted on Jun, 3 2015 @ 03:55 PM
link   
a reply to: Darkmind

You seem to be mistaking texas with those west virginia mountain monsters.

posted on Jun, 3 2015 @ 03:56 PM
link   
First of all, I am surprised that the government was able to implement the ban 140 years ago. How the hell did that happen?

posted on Jun, 3 2015 @ 03:57 PM
link   
Still requires paying for the license. That will stop many people.

posted on Jun, 3 2015 @ 04:00 PM
link   

originally posted by: roadgravel
Still requires paying for the license. That will stop many people.

Typically, in open carry states, no license is required for open carry. They do have to get a background check. A license is only required for concealed carry, but even then it is not expensive....it just takes longer.

posted on Jun, 3 2015 @ 04:13 PM
link   

Just saying that is what Texas is planning, based on the article. CHL people will be able to open carry.

posted on Jun, 3 2015 @ 04:58 PM
link   

That's my great state of Texas and whom I'm proud to be a member of!!!!!

Imagine open carry Draco pistol 7.62x9mm AWESOMENESS!!!!! And almost forgot my 9mm Mossad pistol, I love that baby smoothest slide on a pistol I've ever owned....

posted on Jun, 3 2015 @ 05:00 PM
link   

The wild west had gun control.
www.ndsu.edu...
articles.latimes.com...
www.dailykos.com...

posted on Jun, 3 2015 @ 05:18 PM
link   
There are a TON of concealed carrying individuals out here, including little old ladies with cute pink guns that'll shoot you between the eyes if you try and mess with them. I feel very safe out here, truthfully. Much safer than a gun ban zone where the only people running around armed are those who are criminals.

Might as well bring it out in the open. The only accident I ever heard of was a deputy in a little town around here who was fiddlin' with his pistol while it was holstered and he shot off his pinkie toe.

posted on Jun, 3 2015 @ 05:36 PM
link   

Speaking as a Brit I am now quite certain that I will never go to Texas.

Speaking as a Texan, I am quite certain that you will not be missed.

posted on Jun, 3 2015 @ 05:40 PM
link   

originally posted by: Blueracer
First of all, I am surprised that the government was able to implement the ban 140 years ago. How the hell did that happen?

In a time when nearly everyone carried a gun and education was not overly common, folks would go into town, get good and drunk, and trouble would ensue. Most towns had a very small policing force at that time so it was especially difficult for them to control the chaos.

Many towns started passing bans on "carrying a gun in town" like the infamous Tombstone, AZ. Eventually, the laws spread to more areas and the days of "cowboys walking around with 6-shooters" came to an end.

A lot of the existing laws against open carry and concealed carry stem from those days. It goes to show how difficult it is to get a law changed once it has been passed.

posted on Jun, 3 2015 @ 07:00 PM
link   
Lol, pwned by Vasa Croe with Answer on back-up.

That's what you get when you try to slip an insult by on us Americans.

I'd LOVE to go to Texas.

You've never seen "Peewee's Big Adventure?" The Alamo is awesome. I'm surprised because actor Paul Reubens was arrested for having child pr0n, and brits are big on children right?

posted on Jun, 3 2015 @ 09:39 PM
link   
There is a town in Georgia where there is a law on record , it is against the law NOT to have a firearm.So they beat Texas by a little. And , by the way , it used to be a fairly rough part as it was a suburb of Atlanta. Now the crime rate has dropped so much the local police are out in force on traffic duty.

posted on Jun, 3 2015 @ 10:20 PM
link   

originally posted by: Gothmog
There is a town in Georgia where there is a law on record , it is against the law NOT to have a firearm.So they beat Texas by a little. And , by the way , it used to be a fairly rough part as it was a suburb of Atlanta. Now the crime rate has dropped so much the local police are out in force on traffic duty.

That town would be Kennesaw.

posted on Jun, 3 2015 @ 10:50 PM
link   

originally posted by: Vasa Croe

originally posted by: Gothmog

That town would be Kennesaw.

How well I know. There is something about walking down a sidewalk in town and pass someone wearing a Colt hog-leg strapped to their waist to make a person feel a little safer. I generally eat at the restaurant they eat at.
edit on 3-6-2015 by Gothmog because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 4 2015 @ 12:55 AM
link   

My state is an open carry state with concealed carry laws and I am a member of law enforcement. Not once have I ever had an issue with armed citizens. As a matter of fact I have had people check on me to make sure all was ok.
edit on 4-6-2015 by Xcathdra because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 4 2015 @ 04:42 AM
link   
wonderful news; Now all they can set their sights on educating people about how they themselves bring money into existence when they sign a financial instrument such as an Application to Borrow Money.

For those not aware, all the bank does is take possession of the money your signature creates and lends it back to you with interest.

Research it, its all out there.

posted on Jun, 4 2015 @ 06:57 AM
link   
TEXAS!!
2nd line

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join