It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The best reply ever to a grammar Nazis .

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 3 2015 @ 05:42 PM
link   
a reply to: ketsuko

Okay then what was super dog ?

posted on Jun, 3 2015 @ 05:48 PM
link   
a reply to: Greathouse

You got me, and since he's not featured anywhere, it is not my problem to look it up and chase it down.

It is great to more or less have my Geekery exposed to the entire office though and have to admit that "Yes, I do know that you never abbreviate Doctor Who. No lightsaber is not two words ..."

posted on Jun, 3 2015 @ 05:57 PM
link   

Well keep up the good work.

But I have the feeling it's rather tiresome and you enjoy a good break from time to time. Let me know if you proofread Mad Magazine, I actually still have a subscription to that .

posted on Jun, 3 2015 @ 07:10 PM
link   

Do you have a miniature TARDIS on your desk? Have you turned a cheese grater into a Dalek?
I'm not poking fun. I love the show, too.

posted on Jun, 3 2015 @ 07:25 PM
link   

originally posted by: Skid Mark

Do you have a miniature TARDIS on your desk? Have you turned a cheese grater into a Dalek?
I'm not poking fun. I love the show, too.

No, I don't have a mini-TARDIS, but I do have one of these. I had to beat my son off of it. He thought it was for him.

posted on Jun, 4 2015 @ 12:12 AM
link   
I love Stephen Fry!
Thanks for posting. I hadn't seen it and enjoyed it a lot.
Those were the rules my grammar nazi mother imposed in our household. She insisted that we must know the proper way to speak and write and demonstrate that knowledge via conversations and written matter. She referred to intentional rule-breaking as the "flavoring" of writing or conversation.
I've never been in a situation where speaking and writing according to accepted rules was a disadvantage.
And for those who claim that technology has lowered our levels of written communications, I beg to differ. I have stacks of letters written by men and women over the ages (c. 1850-present.) They show quite clearly that a high school or even a college education has never been a guarantee of proper use of the language. However, as my linguist husband always points out; they were effective communication devices despite their grammar and spelling flaws.

posted on Jun, 4 2015 @ 08:49 AM
link   
This is all i have to say about the matter.

posted on Jun, 5 2015 @ 12:33 AM
link   
Poor grammar and spelling only annoys me when the writer is explaining what a stupid fool I am, or trying to tell me to 'educate myself'.

edit on 5/6/15 by Astyanax because: of an expensive education.

posted on Jun, 8 2015 @ 01:59 PM
link   
a reply to: Greathouse

You should of posted this exactly where you did, so those who need two see it can see it. Their eventually going to read it anyways, even though hardly anyone sees they're own mistakes anymore. You mine as well put this on the front page, so all those who's interest lies in grammar nazi debates can see it front and centers.

My favorite grammar errors are those like "mine as well" - many of which we never realized were being said until speech began to be observed in text form. I remember the first "mine as well" text I received - it took a few seconds to realize what she was saying. Initially, I thought to myself, "huh?? Who do I mine as well as? I've never even tried mining!"

posted on Jun, 8 2015 @ 02:19 PM
link   
a reply to: dogstar23

I found a very easy solution when I don't understand the text. Most grammar racist, won't even apply the simple procedure .

I just reread the text as if someone is talking to me and their meaning becomes apparent .

posted on Jun, 8 2015 @ 03:15 PM
link   

originally posted by: Greathouse
I thought a certain member may enjoy this video . This is not meant as any type of insult. I'm beginning to enjoy this members threads because of the way this member displays their pet peeve in the cavalier, silly and humorous tongue in cheek approach that I enjoy .

That being said please KATch this video.

Thanks for posting that. Seriously, people need to start realizing this, especially since it's become increasingly common to see people actually use language as a form of deflection in debates. I mean, how many times have you had to go into the semantics of an argument when you know that they actually do understand what you're trying to say? It's so irritating, the same of a real pseudo-intellectual simply using language as a tool to avoid the real substance of a topic or debate.

posted on Jun, 9 2015 @ 06:31 AM
link   
Well....as a grammar nazi, i take offence at your thread title.......

It should be "the best reply ever to a grammar Nazi" or "the best reply ever to grammar Nazis'", not "the best ever reply to a grammar Nazis".

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join