It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Odd Encounter: Was I being checked out for radicalism?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:
+2 more 
posted on Jun, 3 2015 @ 01:50 PM
link   
This happened a few years ago. Shortly after, I stopped reading and posting on this site for some time.

In another neighborhood in another city hours from where I live now, I knew a man who knew a lot about local law enforcement. He seemed to be retired, and never specified his former position, but also never bragged on it. He just knew stuff, and enjoyed sharing relatively innocuous bits of it sometimes. He'd stop by to bum cigarettes off me and we'd talk about all manner of subjects. He knew everything about the town, and had lots of anecdotes about what it was like during the late 60s, and so on.

Without naming the city in question, I'll say it's small but well-known, and in commuting distance to a genuine Big City. Through the 50s to the 70s, both cities, due to their strong countercultural movements, are on the record as having had a huge amount of intelligence activity, safehouses, etc. To me, this is mundane. Anyone who has read about the history of the CIA and military intelligence in the US knows 90% of the work is dull, ordinary, or otherwise like any other job, except for the security measures (and in some corporations they're not so different).

My friend's stories, over time, seemed to indicate he had been connected to undercover work in "radical" groups, though I sensed he hadn't personally infiltrated them, but was probably involved with analyzing data. He had no animosity towards such groups as such, but seemed instead deeply interested in humans in general, with a kind of fondness for humanity despite what he saw as its antics and foibles.

During the time we were acquainted, I became more active here on ATS. I enjoy reading on many subjects I don't necessarily believe are based in empiricism. From Fortean high strangeness to alternative models of world politics, I never get tired of the edges of human thought and experience. I might find some ideas amusing rather than persuasive, but rarely do I see a tale which is pure nonsense. Somewhere in there are some truths, if not in the details related, then in the diversity and variability of human perceptions.

I didn't mention any of that to my friend directly. But our conversations made it clear we were both skeptical of official narratives inherently, and both agreed most important events and processes occur secretly, or are occluded.

Once, I noticed what seemed to be a low-flying, shiny object off the normal flight paths (the city is near several airports).

"What's that?" I asked my friend.
He smiled in a way I'd seen before, a kind but almost pitying smile. "Homeland Security," he said wryly.
Later, maybe in the same conversation, he said: "Listen, let me give you some advice. Don't look at the sky." It was odd. I'm not a "chemtrail" person, and I didn't express any particular fascination with the sky. But it was like a warning, not that I would see anything overt, but that watching the sky and thinking about it too much would only worry me to no purpose.

The best, most interesting thing he told me: "There's tunnels, you know, access tunnels all under the city. We could walk from here to [next city over] underground."

He didn't say things like that very often, or with much gravitas. He was almost mischievous about it: here's a little secret that isn't very secret. He wasn't paranoid, and he never made outrageous claims. He was a clear thinker. Mostly we discussed philosophy and politics, but in a removed way, abstract, not tied to current events.

He could be very pushy at times. He became pushy about introducing me to a man he knew. He was subtle at first, but I gathered he'd be offended if I didn't agree, so eventually I found myself taking a ride with this other man. Right away, I sensed something was off. My friend's friend was very different. He was intense, focused, both sharing a lot of information and asking a lot of sudden, odd questions. I thought oh, he's a bit strange in the mind is all.

Then his questions meandered to a point. He mentioned the "New World Order". He started asking me what I knew about it, what I thought. His questions and remarks were uncannily identical to threads I'd been reading on ATS--not in general, but a lot, and all around that time. Everything he said seemed to hint at one basic point: did I believe in all this, and would it lead me into some kind of dramatic or violent action?

He acted as if he believed it, but from my reading here, I sensed his presentation was false. He knew all the talking points, but he lacked an understanding of the distinctions between various theories/models proposed by different kinds of people. He wasn't disorganized, but rather too organized, as if he'd studied people who think that way as a whole group, and was trying to emulate a gestalt.

Of course, I'm far from violent or inclined to the stuff he hinted at. And his act was so awkwardly blatant I felt like saying "Really, Officer, it's cool, I'm not dangerous."

After that encounter, I started to avoid my friend, but I was so shaken by how specifically his friend referenced the exact stuff (and I'm not talking about books everyone in the subject knows, but personal theories and encounters) I'd been reading here, I decided to quit for a while.

That's it. It really happened. I'm pretty sure he was checking me out for signs of going unhinged, or possibly even trying to entrap me. I don't think much of it now. These things happen all the time. Still...it was a heck of a ride.

posted on Jun, 3 2015 @ 01:59 PM
link   
a reply to: sepermeru

Then his questions meandered to a point. He mentioned the "New World Order". He started asking me what I knew about it, what I thought. His questions and remarks were uncannily identical to threads I'd been reading on ATS--not in general, but a lot, and all around that time. Everything he said seemed to hint at one basic point: did I believe in all this, and would it lead me into some kind of dramatic or violent action?

The TPP is classified as secret by the executive branch of the USG. What we are being told is elected representatives would be jailed if they leaked it. Let that sink in.

It's a secret treaty between 21 countries written mainly by corporations. I would say that classifies as a new world order.

The US military is training against civil unrest an/or domestic insurgency. It's crystal clear. So put those things together and it's truly concerning.

Ask yourself the following question; What protocols are so draconian and totalitarian that they wouldn't dare put it in the TPP? What's off the table ethically for the USG? See where I'm going with this?

posted on Jun, 3 2015 @ 02:00 PM
link   
These stories kill me every time they come up. They always happen a couple/few years ago. It is always a friend of a friend. They always let people go for rides/walk/let strangers into their lives/homes. It always relates back to something they have read/posted about on ATS. And the kicker is they ALWAYS reference the Illuminati/NWO/Masons/TPTB/etc....

Cool story though.....even if it is not original.

Maybe this is the new "Alien Abduction" timeline......

posted on Jun, 3 2015 @ 02:04 PM
link   

My bad! Deleted for bad taste!
edit on 6 3 2015 by spiritualKat33 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 3 2015 @ 02:10 PM
link   
a reply to: spiritualKat33

I don't think either of you actually paid attention to what I said. Are you under the impression I think the guy was part of the "NWO"? Or that I even believe in such a thing?

I'm sure many people are checked out for signs of potential instability or radicalism. This is not a new practice. Do you think it's a bad idea, for law enforcement to check up on people they're worried might be dangerous? I'd assume that was a common sense approach. And that some folks who really are a bit strange in the mind could easily interpret such encounters as sinister or unearthly when it's just law enforcement doing their jobs.
edit on 3-6-2015 by sepermeru because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 3 2015 @ 02:21 PM
link   

Just call it a strong gut feeling, but I suspect that the guy who borrowed cigs from you was a police informer and the ride you went on was with the police to whom he fed info on a regular basis. Maybe he tried to feed the stuff you told him to the police and so they looked into it.

ETA: When using informants, the police have to evaluate the quality of the information they get. You never know what that fellow was telling them, so it would seem prudent to check everything out.

edit on 3-6-2015 by aboutface because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 3 2015 @ 02:28 PM
link   

Do you ever see your friend like out just in general? What ever happened to him? Also where did you meet this friend?

posted on Jun, 3 2015 @ 02:29 PM
link   
a reply to: InverseLookingGlass

You missed the FBI surveillance planes.

posted on Jun, 3 2015 @ 02:29 PM
link   
All I can say is that there are a lot of weird people out there with some even weirder agendas. Who knows maybe they were taking matters into their own hands and thinking that they would turn you in. Maybe they would tell some people who they thought they had connections with, to check you out. Maybe they have a dislike of conspiracy theorists and wanted to demean you or make you feel uncomfortable. Just because somebody seems like they know what they are talking about and project intelligence dose not mean you should believe anything they say, the most intelligent ones are sometimes the craziest most deluded people I have met. Just my 2 cents.

Bananas

posted on Jun, 3 2015 @ 02:32 PM
link   

originally posted by: spiritualKat33

Doesn't this belong in the short stories forum or LOL or hoax?

Shouldn't this be considered off topic?

posted on Jun, 3 2015 @ 02:38 PM
link   

originally posted by: Staroth

Do you ever see your friend like out just in general? What ever happened to him? Also where did you meet this friend?

I moved away, but I'd see him in the neighborhood a lot. Sometimes he'd be gone for a few days. Once he was gone for weeks, and when he came back he said he'd been staying with a woman on the other side of town who needed help after losing her husband.

He lived around the corner, and knew my landlord, so I met him on the property one day. Then he started walking over when he saw me out smoking, to bum cigarettes and sit and talk. He knew the family who ran the corner store and they liked him-- so he wasn't a mystery man or anything. As far as I know he's still there.

His friend did show up at my place one other time. He'd tried to call me a few times--he wanted to know what I thought of a book he'd given me--and stopped by because I hadn't answered (we'd met there before, so he knew the address). I got rid of him quickly and didn't hear from him again.

posted on Jun, 3 2015 @ 02:45 PM
link   

originally posted by: ketsuko
a reply to: InverseLookingGlass

You missed the FBI surveillance planes.

If I gave the impression I thought the plane had anything to do with us, I certainly didn't intend to. This was years ago, but now, it's commonplace to see light aircraft and police drones patrolling around that city. They're not secret at all. They have insignia and everything. The big city adjacent to it is a major potential terrorism target, and both cities have pretty big security budgets.

When he said "don't look at the sky" (or maybe "don't watch the sky") he wasn't indicating anything hidden or sinister. He was saying don't worry about it, this is just normal life now, let it go. The general subject of security, public data collection, etc was one we'd touched on, and his position was "it's not as big a deal as people are making it into". Above all else he seemed credible to me because he didn't make a big deal out of anything, or try to make it more romantic or elaborate.

posted on Jun, 3 2015 @ 03:05 PM
link   

originally posted by: bananashooter

originally posted by: spiritualKat33

Doesn't this belong in the short stories forum or LOL or hoax?

Shouldn't this be considered off topic?

No. It's an evaluation of the material presented. You may not agree with it, but it is quite "on topic." Why should it be censored?

posted on Jun, 3 2015 @ 03:13 PM
link   
I deleted it!
edit on 6 3 2015 by spiritualKat33 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 3 2015 @ 03:15 PM
link   
Interesting encounter, have to ask tough what is it you think you know that would justify a lengthy surveillance?
If you dropped some info here and there you where building a perpetual motion or a anti-gravity device successfully i can understand their interest.

The only thing my spaced out mind can come up with is you will be of significance to us in the near future and the talks where to sway you towards a different path, once confirmed you won't pose a threat to their interests attention for you declined. But my common sense says there is nothing going on here, people can be weird.

posted on Jun, 3 2015 @ 03:23 PM
link   

originally posted by: Dimens
Interesting encounter, have to ask tough what is it you think you know that would justify a lengthy surveillance?
If you dropped some info here and there you where building a perpetual motion or a anti-gravity device successfully i can understand their interest.

The only thing my spaced out mind can come up with is you will be of significance to us in the near future and the talks where to sway you towards a different path, once confirmed you won't pose a threat to their interests attention for you declined. But my common sense says there is nothing going on here, people can be weird.

Sometimes it feels like the only special knowledge I have is that I don't know much of anything.

I do know why I might fall into the net of people checked out. It has nothing to do with me, but with a good friend of mine who is a writer. He works with political dissidents from other countries, and his politics are quite radical. I'm nobody, but he's the kind of person whose activities and social circles intelligence always keeps tabs on, just in case.

Honestly, I see this stuff as the result of law enforcement having a ton of money for security post-9/11, and needing to keep busy. Probably 99% of work like this leads nowhere, but they gotta do it.

posted on Jun, 3 2015 @ 03:28 PM
link   

originally posted by: aboutface

Just call it a strong gut feeling, but I suspect that the guy who borrowed cigs from you was a police informer and the ride you went on was with the police to whom he fed info on a regular basis. Maybe he tried to feed the stuff you told him to the police and so they looked into it.

ETA: When using informants, the police have to evaluate the quality of the information they get. You never know what that fellow was telling them, so it would seem prudent to check everything out.

It's funny you should mention that scenario (though I'm sure I didn't say anything of interest particularly), because one of the things my smoking friend told me about was that the local police would hire kids out of high school, or freshmen at the university, to work undercover as informants. He said they'd set the kid up with an apartment and a monthly stipend, and usually the informant would end up blowing all the money partying and not be very useful. He said they usually lasted six months, but if they made it over a year, they might be recruited for more permanent work.

posted on Jun, 3 2015 @ 03:38 PM
link   
I would think you dreamed it...

But, you're an insomniac.

edit on 3-6-2015 by whyamIhere because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 3 2015 @ 03:47 PM
link   
I have been approached by the NSA, know deep cover agents and special programs, had classified clearances, participated in military studies by DARPA on media propaganda cycles using social media and major media outlets such as NPR that were being modelled for artificial intelligence messaging to change outcomes using predictive dynamics and future markets betting.
I've had the FBI look me up on Facebook, Heard military officers using shortwave radios on my telephone lines, so...
Yup, nothing surprises me, in the national information state of total awareness and control of social media (try posting anything or creating any content that is truly anonymous, it's only possible on virtual private networks and they are the most targeted for decryption and message interception and penetration. In fact, with all the key words in this post you can almost be certain it will be reviewed and trolled up and sold. If you are truly paranoid you might think of a site like this a petri dish where what you dish is carefully cultured to see what grows there ; )

posted on Jun, 3 2015 @ 04:03 PM
link   
I think you're made of sterner stuff than I am--I would totally have been bugging my friend for more info and stories xD

Pretty strange though--you should totally ask your friend's friend point-blank if he was referencing things on ATS. That would have been so epic. If you still can, I would. I bet his reaction would be super-funny. Coincidences don't happen. What kinds of personal stories/threads are you talking about specifically (would you be able to give some examples of what the dude mentioned)?

I believe your story. You have a lot of detail--and that indicates that you're telling the truth ^_^
edit on 3-6-2015 by rukia because: (no reason given)

top topics

<<   2 >>

join