It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Enacting a basic income for all Americans

page: 14
<< 11  12  13    15  16  17 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 3 2015 @ 08:51 PM
link   

originally posted by: onequestion
a reply to: beezzer

So, lets go over this again...

Why cant the economy exist outside of this

who said the economy and all of capitalism will go away

missing the point again

Break it down for me.

The title of this thread is

"Enacting a basic income for all Americans"

Income means payment for work.

What work is being done to justify this "base income"?

posted on Jun, 3 2015 @ 08:52 PM
link   

originally posted by: beezzer
a reply to: Nyiah

I don't think it's that complicated.

People want something for nothing. Or did I miss the point?

I think you did, yes. You're not seeing the probability of a mechanically run former job sector and the massive number of people that would have to rethink what it means to exist. You wouldn't be penniless and useless, you'd get a stipend, and have the freedom to realize what you want to get & give out of your existence. The majority of people aren't content with being the couch sloth, they'll find something to better their & other folk's time here. That's the point.

posted on Jun, 3 2015 @ 08:54 PM
link   

Well its already been happening for many decades so its not a probability its just been happening. Its just that we need to realie that this is actually whats happening begin thinking about new ways of managing finance.

posted on Jun, 3 2015 @ 08:55 PM
link   
just what work needs to be done in the country if all our products are either manufactured through automation with very little human intervention or offshore in countries that allow it's workers to be paid wages that can't be competed against in america?

posted on Jun, 3 2015 @ 08:55 PM
link   

So this is not so much a debate on welfare, but on whether people would become couch potatoes while on welfare?

I'm sure we could find statistics about the percentages of people on welfare who do/do not actively seek employment or other outlets.

posted on Jun, 3 2015 @ 08:57 PM
link   
a reply to: dawnstar

So since we can't compete, we just give up and take the government dole.

Okay.

posted on Jun, 3 2015 @ 08:59 PM
link   

Dont take the bait its a circular conversation.

posted on Jun, 3 2015 @ 09:01 PM
link   

Google Switzerland, or Basic Income.

Learn about it.

posted on Jun, 3 2015 @ 09:01 PM
link   
a reply to: interupt42

It's hard to exclude both parties from anything done in D.C.. It's hard not to see who is promoting increases in minimum wages, free medical services, free 2 years of community college...to start, hints of reparations in 2016-after the next election-for slavery, free social security for new 'un-illegals...shall I gone on?

Can the right be only giving lip-service protest to some of these moves? Absolutely.

A pox on both parties....

posted on Jun, 3 2015 @ 09:02 PM
link   

ya know there is a law on the books stating that in order to draw that welfare they have to be working some, right....
maybe they should do a study on how many people are working 40 or more hours a week and still getting gov't benefits because they are stuck in jobs that give crappy wages.

posted on Jun, 3 2015 @ 09:04 PM
link   

Dont take the bait its a circular conversation.

I'm not baiting. I'm often rude, cranky along with being cute and fluffy.

What I'm doing is looking at this issue from another perspective.

You may agree with this utopian ideal, but not everyone does. So your utopia might be considered something else to someone who has made money and who has succeeded.

I like what I do. I like my financial situation.

Your concepts would change things for me.

I would get taxed more.
My family would have less.

Why would I endorse this?

posted on Jun, 3 2015 @ 09:06 PM
link   
a reply to: MystikMushroom

Why is people working and busting our ass a necessity? What would be so bad about humanity moving beyond slaving to live and instead moving onto well enjoying lives together instead, living rather than just surviving?

Why is people working their lives away so damn important a thing that we need to maintain that status quot?

posted on Jun, 3 2015 @ 09:07 PM
link   

Its not utopian it is a reality that automation is going to continue to take millions of jobs and that the rest of the jobs left are going to be split up across an increasingly globalized workforce.

link   

"Don't bother, it's a circular conversation."

Us anti-handout people can be pithy too!

link   

just answer me this...
if only 10 percent of the population can make enough money to afford the products a company is producing in mass, and they've spent a few years stashing the surplus in warehouses, why should that company continue producing those products in mass???

posted on Jun, 3 2015 @ 09:12 PM
link   

originally posted by: dawnstar

just answer me this...
if only 10 percent of the population can make enough money to afford the products a company is producing in mass, and they've spent a few years stashing the surplus in warehouses, why should that company continue producing those products in mass???

Dunno, ask the company.

posted on Jun, 3 2015 @ 09:13 PM
link   
OK, let's try it from this angle:

Let's say we can completely automate the segment of the economy that produces the basic goods so that everyone can have robot manufactured food, clothing and shelter.

But then, everyone learns that these products are more or less crap and they basically can't produce some things. Bee keeping is more art than something any machine can replicate, so honey would be something people would have to continue to produce for themselves or go the way of the dodo for example.

So, now you have people making and trading artisanal goods if they are so inclined, and if you don't make or produce, you don't have. But that does not dissolved the idea of two Americas - the haves and the have nots. And people would complain that if they don't have an artisan skill or produce something that others deem worthy of trade, then life isn't fair ... And here we go again ...

posted on Jun, 3 2015 @ 09:15 PM
link   

Its not utopian it is a reality that automation is going to continue to take millions of jobs and that the rest of the jobs left are going to be split up across an increasingly globalized workforce.

So?

If I lose my job as a result, then it's my responsibility to find work somewhere, some how.

It's not the frakking governments responsibility to take care of me.

posted on Jun, 3 2015 @ 09:16 PM
link   
a reply to: ketsuko

I regret that I have but one star to give this

posted on Jun, 3 2015 @ 09:17 PM
link   

And if that world is so highly automated that you and a few billion others have zero job openings to apply to, and no area has anything you can do as a resourceful barterer without resorting to that stipend to learn new skills with, then what? Ritual suicide in the woods?
edit on 6/3/2015 by Nyiah because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<< 11  12  13    15  16  17 >>

join