It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Enacting a basic income for all Americans

page: 12
<< 9  10  11    13  14  15 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 3 2015 @ 07:02 PM
link   

originally posted by: thesaneone
I see telling people that they have no "ethics and morals" is the hip way of trying to guilt people who don't agree with you.

You progressives need to grow up already.

LOL this is the funniest thing I've read all day.

Projection at its finest.

posted on Jun, 3 2015 @ 07:05 PM
link   

originally posted by: onequestion
a reply to: dawnstar

But i worked really hard for what i got so everyone else can starve.

Well, and I think a lot of people would never admit it -- but they like having more than other people. People who aren't poor like the feeling of there better than poor people. It adds gives value to what they're doing. It gives them something to compare themselves to. Subconsciously they can point to the poor people and say, "I'm better than those people".

As someone else pointed out, if the poor were suddenly brought up "middle class" standards -- I think that would make A LOT of people uncomfortable, why? Because it would make what they have not seem as valuable, or a "special".

I think this one reason people are so against a raise in the minimum wage. It these people's minds, it takes value away from what they're making. If someone gets a $2 hour raise at the bottom and they don't get a raise -- that's unfair! Why should their quality of life improve but not mine!?

We all want to feel special, we all want to feel superior in some kind of way. I think though, in the new world of the future we're going to have to do a reevaluation on what's important. Right now we're all playing keeping up with the Jones's or basically trying to survive.
edit on 3-6-2015 by MystikMushroom because: (no reason given)

edit on 3-6-2015 by MystikMushroom because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 3 2015 @ 07:09 PM
link   
a reply to: corvuscorrax

Then what is it?

Why do you think a person ought to have the right to anything they want?

If I make a blanket, do you think anyone who sees it and desires it for themselves ought to be able to come and take it?

posted on Jun, 3 2015 @ 07:09 PM
link   

originally posted by: ketsuko
a reply to: interupt42

I'm not sure how Darwin would take care of those people if the rest of us are bound to support them?

In this futuristic society where money is not a factor and everyone has everything they want , why would we have to support them? The only thing that would create value and differentiate individuals would be intelligences versus luxury cars, clothes, villas,boats,etc .

Eventually , intelligences would become a high commodity and attraction for reproducing.

edit on 09630America/ChicagoWed, 03 Jun 2015 19:09:57 -0500000000p3042 by interupt42 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 3 2015 @ 07:10 PM
link   

originally posted by: corvuscorrax

originally posted by: thesaneone
I see telling people that they have no "ethics and morals" is the hip way of trying to guilt people who don't agree with you.

You progressives need to grow up already.

LOL this is the funniest thing I've read all day.

Projection at its finest.

"I know you are but what am I?!?"

More direct.

posted on Jun, 3 2015 @ 07:11 PM
link   
a reply to: MystikMushroom

Oh please, this is just so much moralizing to put yourselves on some kind of superior high ground. I could care less what my neighbor has. For your information, they all have more than I do, but I also know I work for everything I have. I earned it and that matters to me. What I have may be crap. Both my cars are over 10 years old, but they are mine that I earned. Sure, they aren't my neighbor's shiny new car or my other neighbors Saturn Vue, but they're mine.

posted on Jun, 3 2015 @ 07:12 PM
link   
a reply to: ketsuko

Be glad it's not a Vue....

posted on Jun, 3 2015 @ 07:13 PM
link   
a reply to: Shamrock6

Yeah, well, I'm driving a old Hyundai Accent that has what we affectionately refer to as "manual" reverse, meaning if I can't pull forward, I have to push it.

posted on Jun, 3 2015 @ 07:20 PM
link   

I was gonna say, didn't they stop making Saturn's back in 2009 or something? Well, from what I understand they're better than Daewoo...

posted on Jun, 3 2015 @ 07:21 PM
link   

Fred Flintstone that jewel!

posted on Jun, 3 2015 @ 07:23 PM
link   
a reply to: MystikMushroom

We have an old Grand Am with around 350,000 miles on it, and the Hyundai only has around 111,000. The Hyundai is the one getting replaced, and it has to happen in the next two months because it's not worth paying to rebuild the transmission to get it past the safety inspection.

posted on Jun, 3 2015 @ 07:25 PM
link   
a reply to: onequestion

Interesting OP.

It is my opinion that you are witnessing the beginning of a transition in to a communist nation. Unregulated capitalism had begun to drag this nation in to the gutter, causing the majority to suffer, and consolidating power/money/resources in to the hands of the privileged few.

Unless the masses are wiped-out to protect those with power and wealth, eventually you will see this nation revolt against the system once the final straw is placed.

Technology being at the level it is, we could easily provide food, housing, medical care and any other basic necessity at very little relative cost to society. Of course, that cost depends on what you value more. Human life, or a little time, money and resources.

Of course, there will be many that flame me for this opinion, and I do not have a problem with that, but have to recognize that communism and a representative republic are quite similar in that it's design is ingenious but as Franklin said, "only if you can keep it".

To maintain any society without witnessing the woes we are today, the population must be vigilant and willing to step-up to uproot those that wish to consolidate power and rule over the rest.

We have a republic, and couldn't keep it.

So it appears we are going to let this system fall and move on to the next best option.

posted on Jun, 3 2015 @ 07:26 PM
link   

No.

You're an elitist with 2 vehicles.

(You can only drive one at a time)

please get your terminology straight.

posted on Jun, 3 2015 @ 07:32 PM
link   
a reply to: beezzer

Beat me to it.

Flip side: maybe we can get free cars from the government. Free cars for everybody!

posted on Jun, 3 2015 @ 07:35 PM
link   

originally posted by: Shamrock6
Free cars for everybody!

As long as they are high end cars cause anything else would not be fair.

posted on Jun, 3 2015 @ 07:43 PM
link   

The point is going miles over your head.

and a few others so your not alone.

posted on Jun, 3 2015 @ 07:46 PM
link   

Another thing people say when they themselves don't know.

posted on Jun, 3 2015 @ 07:47 PM
link   

No, I get it. You want a Utopian economy where people would be provided a basic income if they choose not to work.

And what we are asking is how that will be provided, and we are getting no concrete answers.

posted on Jun, 3 2015 @ 07:48 PM
link   

Poor attempt at being polite when saying "you're just too stupid to get it."

Which, really, is precisely what saneone says it is.

posted on Jun, 3 2015 @ 07:52 PM
link   
a mother with two young children is getting help from welfare, and well welfare suddenly comes up with this bright idea to mandate that she works. any job, as long as she is working, in return they will help her out with her childcare, which is more than she would be paid doing the job. so she gets the job, and welfare now pays her the benefit less the money she is earning on top of the money that she needs for transportation, a clothing allowance, along with the cost of the childcare....

tell me, would the company have any chance of hiring her if welfare wasn't paying her anything and she had to live on just what the company was giving her? would she still have the telephone that just about every company expects their employees have so they can be on call every hour of the day? would she still have the dependable transportation?

I doubt it.... and many of the low wage employees are being subsidized by gov't programs to help them make ends meet, it would be impossible for them to any other way. if you don't believe that there'd be alot of employees demanding higher wages if those programs suddenly stopped I think you are delusional. and if you don't think that the companies would reconsider their pay structure in that even, I also think you are delusional and I haven't even touched on the fact that many companies also depend on those benefits to enable them to have customers that can pay for their products.

new topics

top topics

<< 9  10  11    13  14  15 >>

join