It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Enacting a basic income for all Americans

page: 11
<< 8  9  10    12  13  14 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 3 2015 @ 06:20 PM
link   
a reply to: ketsuko

But I know a lot of people who simply never bother to wonder about things or care.

That I don’t disagree with, but that really isn't any different than what we have today. Today you go to any business and typically the minority of the employees are carrying the other majority of employees.

It is much easier not to know, and learning is much harder for the majority than people like you and I suspect because it comes so easily and is such a joy to us.

Absolutely, but if you take away money and everyone has everything: its likely that intelligence would be the one thing that everyone wants, since intelligence is limitless. In essence, it would likely take the role of power that money has in todays society.

As you mentioned survival instincts would kick in and darwin would eventually take care of those people.
edit on 27630America/ChicagoWed, 03 Jun 2015 18:27:04 -0500000000p3042 by interupt42 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 3 2015 @ 06:21 PM
link   
a reply to: Cuervo

Do they get to be at my economic level without doing anything to sustain that level of income? Do I have to fund them being there? Does my economic level increase proportionally to theirs because I'm actually productive?

If the answer to those questions are yes, yes, and no then yea it's a problem. If the answer to those questions are no, no, and yes then nope no problem at all. I'll still have a better TV.

posted on Jun, 3 2015 @ 06:21 PM
link   

originally posted by: onequestion
a reply to: dawnstar

But i worked really hard for what i got so everyone else can starve.

Why should anyone care about anyone else?

Why can't the individual care for themselves?

posted on Jun, 3 2015 @ 06:29 PM
link   
People have a moral and ethical obligation to care for others less fortunate.

But why should that obligation become a legal one?

posted on Jun, 3 2015 @ 06:33 PM
link   

originally posted by: onequestion
But i worked really hard for what i got so everyone else can starve.

It's not a bad thing to be successful, to be financially stable , to live life the way you want.

I have absolutely no problem is saying I have worked hard over the course of my career to get to the point I am today. I feel no shame at all in getting paid well.

posted on Jun, 3 2015 @ 06:36 PM
link   
a reply to: opethPA

Having a good paying job, success in your career, used to be lauded things.

Not something you would be accused of.

posted on Jun, 3 2015 @ 06:38 PM
link   
a reply to: Shamrock6

Just because I live in an affluent area doesn't mean everyone here is rich.

I would say even here the rich are the minority. Especially when it cost 2300 a month to rent an apartment.

posted on Jun, 3 2015 @ 06:40 PM
link   
a reply to: beezzer

because if they were forced to care for themselves, they would demand wages that allowed them to do that which would cause your company to have to pay them more, which just might, oh my god!!, cause them to have to pay you less!

I would say this would be a better way than what we have, where the gov't taxes the heck out of everyone to make up for the small wages while letting the companies skip away with very little responsibility to their employees.

posted on Jun, 3 2015 @ 06:47 PM
link   
a reply to: interupt42

I'm not sure how Darwin would take care of those people if the rest of us are bound to support them?

posted on Jun, 3 2015 @ 06:48 PM
link   

By all means, keep wishing things are the way they 'used' to be.

I'd also wager that ethics and morals are in shorter supply these days.

THE WORLDS CHANGING AROUND ME AND I'M SCARED!

posted on Jun, 3 2015 @ 06:48 PM
link   

People can demand whatever they desire.

it puts no obligation on the business to follow the demands.

posted on Jun, 3 2015 @ 06:49 PM
link   

originally posted by: corvuscorrax

So if ethics and morals are in short supply, it is acceptable to demand something from someone else?

posted on Jun, 3 2015 @ 06:50 PM
link   

The gays are marrying, the womenfolk are getting JOBS, Blacks can VOTE!

Six months max before God strikes the U.S. down. Yup.

posted on Jun, 3 2015 @ 06:51 PM
link   

I don't think anyone has demanded anything in this thread.

Just a discourse on how we handle the future.

That's okay though I know you're a huge hyperbole fan.

posted on Jun, 3 2015 @ 06:53 PM
link   

originally posted by: dawnstar

because if they were forced to care for themselves, they would demand wages that allowed them to do that which would cause your company to have to pay them more, which just might, oh my god!!, cause them to have to pay you less!

I would say this would be a better way than what we have, where the gov't taxes the heck out of everyone to make up for the small wages while letting the companies skip away with very little responsibility to their employees.

Maybe you should study economics.

If I am growing tomatoes, then I get what I put into the plants. Then, say I have more than I can use for myself, so I get the bright idea to sell the extra. It makes me some money.

I like the extra cash. I like it so much that I decide I could use it to help save up for a new car, so the next year, I put my extra money into planting more tomato plants and work extra hard because I have to supply more labor. It nets me more extra tomatoes and money that I start to save toward my car.

I repeat this splitting my extra cash between saving toward my car and planting more plants, but eventually, I notice diminishing returns because I cannot work enough to pay adequate attention to my plants. So, I have a choice - I can either scale back and slow down, or try to hire a kid from the neighborhood to help out with the watering and weeding.

I do the math and decide from the projected returns what will allow me to realize a return that will increase my rate of savings, realize a reinvestment and spend some extra for a kid. What the kid may or may not want to make doesn't factor in. I then advertise what I will pay a kid to help me. I may or may not find a kid willing to work for that amount, but the one who does is willing to do the work for that rate.
edit on 3-6-2015 by ketsuko because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 3 2015 @ 06:54 PM
link   
a reply to: onequestion

By definition if you live in affluent area, the majority of people have substantial income. If you live in a lower income part of an affluent town, then you're not in the affluent area. New York City is not affluent. It has affluent areas. And people with money make up a large portion of the inhabitants of those areas. It has lower income areas, and lower income people make up a large portion of the inhabitants there.

And newsflash: apartment rent is driven by demand. Which means if it's $2300 a month to get an apartment, then there's demand in your area to justify those prices. Apartment complexes don't set rent astronomically higher than people in that area can pay because guess what happen? Nobody can afford the rent, the apartment stays empty, and the management company doesn't make any money. If rent is sitting at $2300 a month for an apartment, then mortgages in that area are working out to be about the same, give or take a little bit.

So now you live in a low income area inside an affluent area where apartments and houses are priced beyond the means of most of the inhabitants of the low income area that's within a high income area? And most of the people you train have to barter, because they can afford a $2300 rent but not boxing sessions?

Ludicrous.

posted on Jun, 3 2015 @ 06:55 PM
link   

Handle the future any way you desire.

Again, I don't care what you do.

Just don't include me in your plans.

posted on Jun, 3 2015 @ 06:56 PM
link   
I see telling people that they have no "ethics and morals" is the hip way of trying to guilt people who don't agree with you.

You progressives need to grow up already.

posted on Jun, 3 2015 @ 06:58 PM
link   

originally posted by: thesaneone
I see telling people that they have no "ethics and morals" is the hip way of trying to guilt people who don't agree with you.

You progressives need to grow up already.

Yep, just like it's greedy to want your own property but not greedy to want what everyone else has.

posted on Jun, 3 2015 @ 06:58 PM
link   

originally posted by: beezzer

Handle the future any way you desire.

Again, I don't care what you do.

Just don't include me in your plans.

You've included yourself in the discussion. I think you know as well as anyone you can't just live your life without someone from some alphabet agency telling you that you need to pay this or adhere to that.

I don't like the gubment either but it seems unlikely it's going anywhere or getting any smaller.

Not without immense loss of life.

top topics

<< 8  9  10    12  13  14 >>

join