It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Dear Microsoft: GAH GAH GAH GAH and, furthermore, GAH

page: 4
<< 1  2  3   >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 6 2015 @ 03:13 PM
link   
a reply to: Klassified

Yes. You'll still be able to get it for free. They're going to be pushing hard to get everyone on it.

Thank You for your answer.
Regards, Iwinder

posted on Jun, 7 2015 @ 04:55 PM
link   
While I don't like Windows tossing the "app store" or advertisement in the taskbar, nor marketing in their Metro screen, it's not a huge deal. I used XP, Vista, Windows NT, Windows 7, 8.. you can easily configure each to be seamless and close to the previous versions if you like. Personally I feel if you purchased their OS, you shouldn't get spam ads on top of it.. that's the most annoying thing. But it's not panic-worthy, or worth angsting over imo.

It's not -that- bad.

posted on Jun, 7 2015 @ 11:59 PM
link   
I got the first windows surface (ARM) when my son turned 1... He is now 3 years old and uses windows 8 to watch Netflix, and he even downloads apps he likes from the store and plays them... He is 3.. I just setup the pc I use with my TV to run windows 8, set the windows 8 tiles to a video folder and big Netflix button, now my wife doesn't ask me to help her use the PC with the TV. Seriously if windows 8 is unusable for you, as an adult, another system isn't going to help you... Maybe try using a typewriter and start there for your needs.

posted on Jun, 10 2015 @ 03:40 AM
link   
An update:

Microsoft seems to be hedging on the "free" already. "for the life of the device" has altered to state "for the expected life of the device".

Traditionally Microsoft supported their O/S's for about ten years. Five with full updates that included functionality based upgrades, and then five with just security and driver updates. This statement about "expected life of the device" leaves the concept open to a great deal of interpretation. Many enthusiasts, for example, consider the "life" of a device to be anywhere from 6 months to 3 years. Linus Torvalds, the creator of Linux states that he changes his personal PC every six months ( I'm betting he doesn't have to buy them. Even half-famous Youtube tech folks get free everything from PC and peripheral companies ).

So, until very specific information, with exact time limits is released from Redmond - we're still in the dark here.

Given this info - I've personally cancelled my "appointment" to upgrade for the time being. I just purchased this PC and can rest easy knowing that 8.1 will function on it for at least 7-8 years, should I keep it that long. I don't want Microsoft arbitrarily deciding something like "With the introduction of tablets and mobile devices, the 'average' life of a device has dropped from ten years to one..."

posted on Jun, 10 2015 @ 07:17 PM
link   
a reply to: Hefficide

Epic rant, S&F!

I right clicked on my task bar, and there is a button that says customize. I clicked on that, clicked on the drop down menu saying hide icon and notifications, and poof, it's gone, and I no longer have it mocking me on my taskbar. Yeah!

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2  3   >>

join