It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Dear Microsoft: GAH GAH GAH GAH and, furthermore, GAH

page: 3
<< 1  2    4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 3 2015 @ 07:01 PM
link   
I am on Windows 7. I installed yesterdays updates and I do not have anything in my taskbar asking me to reserve my upgrade for Windows 10. I feel left out now.

posted on Jun, 3 2015 @ 07:21 PM
link   
a reply to: Hefficide

It's obvious: You really, really want an Apple.

posted on Jun, 3 2015 @ 10:48 PM
link   
a reply to: Sublimecraft

Remember when windows were see-through things made of glass

Oh you mean in Windows 7 how I could use the aero feature to make windows transparent? And those round corners... mmmm yeah those were the days... before everything turned into colorful square boxes with no curves or transparency.
edit on 3/6/2015 by ChaoticOrder because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 3 2015 @ 11:05 PM
link   

originally posted by: kellidark421

I have 8 on my HP lap top and a clunky old Gateway Vista sitting on my desk. I'll go to my Vista every time. I want to say I've never had any trouble with it, but I'm afraid I'll jinx myself, LOL I have noticed though that everything seems to run better on the Gateways. I've had 2 of each& would pick the Gateway every time.
Lovely rant, by the way. If only we could all rant with such eloquence.

My desk still has Vista, last 8 years, and I've only just gotten two laptops with 7 in the last 1.5 years. i still do most of my work on Vista, mainly because the monitor is big, the keyboard is a mechanical and there are so many installed programs on it. The only thing that ever happened was my hard drive crashed after a Windows update. So I disabled Windows Update and have had no problems since. That's right. I have a computer that is 8 years old, running Vista that has never had a Windows update, ever!

posted on Jun, 3 2015 @ 11:07 PM
link   

originally posted by: karmicecstasy
I am on Windows 7. I installed yesterdays updates and I do not have anything in my taskbar asking me to reserve my upgrade for Windows 10. I feel left out now.

Me too, except I DON'T feel left out.

posted on Jun, 4 2015 @ 03:24 AM
link   
Half awake ( just woke up ) thoughts. So please be kind in overlooking typos or even entirely skipped concepts. I tend to wake slowly - it's a whole process of caffeine, aspirin, and nicotine intake that has all the ritual of a religion and is probably more precise in practice than the average scientific lab can achieve.

Anyway...

The Win 8 tile hate...

While understanding that people are resistant to change and tend to dislike it regardless of how good or bad it actually is. I honestly do not get the hatred of the tiled "Metro" screen.

Yes, when first installed it was rather ugly with the bad easter egg pastel format. But that took about a minute to totally change. My wallpaper carries over to the Metro screen and I put in a bit of time making sure the tiles were all things I want there - and played around with the sizing so that certain ones ( like my main screen, RSS feeds, news, email, messages, etc ) were large enough that I can read previews simply by glancing.

Once I put that effort in? It's incredibly intuitive and easy to navigate. For me it's a LOT easier than opening a start menu and then scrolling through folders trying to find specific programs. I am NOT at all a fan of desktop shortcuts - I think they look cluttered and take away from the beauty of the experience of computing - so my actual "Windows proper" screen contains only two desktop shortcuts, both on the bottom right of the right hand ( secondary ) monitor - one to "new text document" and the other to "new rich text document" - a concession to my sense of aesthetics made due to realizing that, in the way I compute, these two programs get used a lot.

Someone earlier mentioned Aero and the Aero effects. See through task bar and Window frames? Got 'em. I've not spent a ton of time with Windows 7 but the tweaks seem to be the same as are open to me with Win 8.1. In fact I'm running a couple of Win 7 "gadgets" - specifically a hard drive monitor and an Nvidia GPU monitor - both to keep track of temps of my devices. I had to add those two as my Rainmeter skin had a HD monitor that only wanted to deal with my C drive ( I have a lot more than a C drive ) and no GPU monitor. The Rainmeter keeps track of my CPU - including specifics for each core, my RAM, my SWAP, and my bandwidth.

One of the things I loved about Linux was Conky and Rainmeter is a reasonable analog.

I have one Windows phone ( with several higher end Android phones... all just sitting there - as I have no use for phone service right now, so why bother ) and, though I've barely used it - the Metro interface seemed to be pretty good. My Android phones ( when I used them ) were all rooted so that I could install docks in most and Ubuntu in one - and the tiles function similarly to both options I tended to prefer.

I like that I can have a computer interface that has an artistic edge to it and doesn't look like something in a second world call center. This iteration of Windows allows me that pleasure. I can close out of everything and my dual monitors look more like paintings or pictures than they do computer interfaces.

Maybe it's just me.

posted on Jun, 4 2015 @ 06:27 AM
link   
I am a total linux freak, haven't used microsft for years.
Microsoft are always goin to make you pay, either when you buy a new machine or be forced to "upgrade" to a new version.

To those who say linux is too buggy: use a stable one like centOS.
To those who say you can't find drivers: use ubuntu/mint and buy linux certified hardware.
For gaming? Steam (and GOG) is here on ubuntu/mint and is getting more titles all the time. Granted not as many as windows but it feels like it's really taking off.

posted on Jun, 4 2015 @ 11:55 AM
link   

originally posted by: chr0naut
Nearly every alternate MS OS release has been a dud.

To me, 8 felt like Vista in many ways, especially performance.

8.1 was the fix (like SP1 for Win 7, which was not that great prior to the SP).

I think, though that Win 10 will be a great OS.

Didn't really have a problem with Win7, before the SP1 release. Now Vista, on the other hand......heh, that reminded me a LOT of WinME, and to a much lesser degree, Win98a.

I massively dislike Win8....I hate, loathe, and despise tiled "metro"-style interfaces. I hugely dislike how ugly Win8 is, and from the limited time I've had to deal with Win8, I don't much like the way it's organized, or the way it functions. If Win10's anything like it, I'm completely uninterested.
edit on 6-4-2015 by Daedalus because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 4 2015 @ 12:06 PM
link   

Protip: Most Rainmeter skins can be modified. I use Rainmeter for HD monitoring, and i can add as many HDDs to it, as i want, with just a couple lines of code..
edit on 6-4-2015 by Daedalus because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 4 2015 @ 12:21 PM
link   
I thought this was an interesting article on the Win 10 ToS: Disturbing ToS and another one on Techworm: Is MS watching you?

Does anyone know if this has changed or been addressed? It was brought to my attention and I was warned against installing it because of this.

posted on Jun, 4 2015 @ 01:31 PM
link   
a reply to: Septimus

lol, who needs the NDAA, Patriot Act, and clandestine NSA domestic datamining, when you can just have corporations do it for you, with the people's consent?

the future of domestic datamining is in the private sector.

posted on Jun, 4 2015 @ 02:51 PM
link   

The one major "Flashing Light and Alarm" moment for me is the word "FREE", they pay people to develop this stuff and give it away for free? really?

They will make money from this, they have too, its a business, businesses do not do things for free. How much is a back door? what will it be doing in the background to make them money?

Just asking (and yes, i have the flag in the task bar - running 8.1 at moment)

CbG

posted on Jun, 4 2015 @ 03:06 PM
link   
I have 2 machines. One is a HTPC and runs xp. The other is my gaming / editing pc and runs windows7. I don't plan on ever changing this configuration.

I don't understand how some people could think the alert flag is a virus though. I have automatic updates disabled, yet i noticed the little flag the other day. I'll have to look into how it got there.

posted on Jun, 4 2015 @ 04:18 PM
link   
a reply to: symphonyofblase

the flag is the windows action center...it's not a virus, it's just the OS trying to tell you that there's something it is trying to bring to your attention...usually system-related stuff.

posted on Jun, 4 2015 @ 11:47 PM
link   
a reply to: corblimeyguvnor

Free, in this case, is really code for a rebranding and Win 10 ( for those who already legally own Windows 7, 8, 8.1 or live in China and pirate it - for some reason ) are all entitled to a legal, free upgrade.

It's pretty smart marketing and a means to an end. First the free version ( which by all accounts is one of MS's better offerings as of late ) will seek to wipe away a LOT of pre-existing negative opinion. Between Gates and Ballmer ( who both had very similar approaches to running the company - basically "This is what you get, like it or not. We're the only game in town and we broke about a bazillion laws to ensure that fact." ) the Microsoft brand got heavily tainted.

Which didn't matter for a long time - as Apple and Linux were the only alternatives and most home PC users were not apt to try either ( Apple due to price, Linux due to the belief that it's too hard - which was a valid belief ten years ago - sadly FOSS has done a horrible job of making it known that most major Linux distro's are now just as intuitive and plug and play as MS or Apple ).

But now with mobile devices becoming the "new normal" for Internet access? The game has changed. MS suddenly is staring Android and Google in the eye and feeling fear for the first time since the days of DOS.

So "free" is something like the abusive husband sending the abused ex flowers and begging for a dinner date to discuss how he's reevaluated things and has changed. He even quit drinking!

But it also sets us all up for "Windows" - what comes after Windows 10 - and that is a lot murkier. It will be a rolling release, the same on all machines, all platforms and for all consumers. Everyone using MS will have exactly the same O/S at the same time always.

On one hand, this might work for us ( the consumer ) as it means MS will only have to support and develop ONE system at a time ( rather than having teams juggling support for 3-5 versions and all of their different flavors ). On the other hand all indications are that "Windows" ( with no numbers ) is planned to be subscription based. You'll never own it. You'll just pay to use it.

Even that is not too frightening up front. Would I pay a few bucks ( ten to maybe thirty-ish ) per year if it provided me with a stable, well supported O/S that licensed and synched all of my devices ( my PC, phone, laptop and tablets )? Probably. But would I pay a hundred for the same thing? Nope.

posted on Jun, 5 2015 @ 04:29 AM
link   

originally posted by: Hefficide
a reply to: WeAreAWAKE

I have mentioned, a few times that I might well be the only living person who actually likes Windows 8.1! So no Windows hate nor is this a Linux fanboi thread.

BUT... as for your discussion of using Linux - it's come a LONG way since the days of recompiling. In some ways it truly does outperform Windows apples to apples. Resource usage for example - much, much lower in a high end Linux desktop environment that is just as pretty and complex as Windows. Controlling updates is also much more straightforward and simple.

I'd argue that Mint 17 is as stable and intuitive as anything Windows can offer. The only drawback, in my experience, is access to major release games. And even that is changing now that Steam has their own Linux O/S.

In short, I'm not underselling Windows, but don't wish to see Linux undersold either. As for Apple? I've never owned an Apple anything. I never could see the logic in paying a TON of money for something that could be outperformed at a much lower price point.

I'm not against Linux at all. Anyone who loves it, loves it for what it is and that is fine. But Windows is a street legal car with power assisted disk brakes, air conditioning and an awesome radio. Linux is fast and tight (for the most part). But it isn't meant for the everyday driver. It is a hobby desktop for those that like that. On a server run by techs...I'd choose Linux in a heartbeat. Even today I choose a Linux web server over Windows every time.

Apple I've hated since the "old days". While I understand their spoken explanation for why they have such a closed system, the truth is (IMHO) that they are just money-hungry leeches. They want to force you into an expensive machine and OS so they can keep milking you. IOS and iPhones are the worst...but so are most cell phones. But then again...I'm a programmer/creator and not a consumer of media.

Anyway...there are other operating systems, but the one that is the most compatible out of the box, the one that anyone can handle from granny to a tech guru is Windows and no other.

With that said...it is a shame that a bunch of idiots like Microsoft own it. They have succeeded despite their ignorance and are only still in business today thanks to a great OS that kept them afloat while they made ridiculous mistakes that should have sunk them.

posted on Jun, 5 2015 @ 07:33 PM
link   

originally posted by: Klassified
Lol. Love it. Epic rant, Heff.

Go to "View installed updates", and uninstall KB3035583. No more nag in the taskbar.

Agreed with the Epic Rant, but what I am wondering is if you do in fact delete this are you still able to get windows 10 for free if it actually turns out to be good?

I don't want to burn our bridges but that widows thingy bugs me sitting there in my taskbar.
Apologies is this has been asked and answered already in this thread.

Regards, Iwinder

posted on Jun, 5 2015 @ 11:19 PM
link   

originally posted by: Iwinder

originally posted by: Klassified
Lol. Love it. Epic rant, Heff.

Go to "View installed updates", and uninstall KB3035583. No more nag in the taskbar.

Agreed with the Epic Rant, but what I am wondering is if you do in fact delete this are you still able to get windows 10 for free if it actually turns out to be good?

I don't want to burn our bridges but that widows thingy bugs me sitting there in my taskbar.
Apologies is this has been asked and answered already in this thread.

Regards, Iwinder

Yes. You'll still be able to get it for free. They're going to be pushing hard to get everyone on it.

posted on Jun, 6 2015 @ 12:29 AM
link   
I think most problems with microsoft is operator error.

Been using windows forever. Never had a problem.

Still using windows 7.

The only thing I am mad about is I can't buy Retail of it for a new system build.

posted on Jun, 6 2015 @ 05:03 AM
link   
a reply to: neo96

One of the things I lucked out with, in life, is having spent my Junior High and High School years in Silicon Valley. I had access to PC free PC classes ( after school ) in 1981 or 82'... Learned Basic, or the basics of Basic at least.

At that time I could not afford a PC of my own at that time - so for a few years my knowledge of programming only got used once in awhile, walking into the mall ( remember when hanging out at the mall was THE thing? ) - sometimes we'd cut through Sears and I'd pause to play havoc with their demo PC's - putting them into an infinity loop.

My dad, who lived locally had a TRS-80 that I had access to, but I wound up stuck with a Commodore 64 as my first owned computer. From there it was a PC I cannot recall the specs for - but it was monochromatic and DOS based. That PC kept me going for quite awhile. I think it might have been an 80386.

My first Win machine was a Pentium 486SX with a mind numbing 25 MHz of processing power and a 50 Mb hard drive ( I cannot recall how much RAM right now ). It ran Windows 3.0 and then upgraded to 3.1.

Since that point I have not really missed a Windows release - even though I have personally not owned every version. I have directly owned 3.0, 3.1, 95, NT, 98, XP ( the entire life cycle - all versions ), XP Pro, 7, and 8.1.

Win 7 is a dual boot on my laptop and, admittedly, I have rarely used it as Ubuntu Gnome is much less demanding on it.

However I do not think there is a single modern ( past the 3 series ) version of Windows that I was not directly involved with as tech support. I did sell computers for the better part of the nineties and also was a manager ( in charge of the computer and repair departments, among others ) for the "big box" chain of that era ( giant yellow price tag - horrible company ) - IE I was in charge of the Geek Squad for a couple of years.

Throughout my latter years I tended to be content with whatever machine I owned. My main Internet interest was IRC and light gaming ( Yes, I am a reformed console gamer - it all began with the Atari 2600 and I am ashamed ). BUT I was hardly ever single and always made sure whoever I was dating ( which in all but one case meant "living with" as well ) had the latest and newest of everything - including PC's.

I've built them, killed them, repaired them, resurrected them from the dead - hand configured them ( kids today would probably quit the Internet if they had to figure out jumpers on a motherboard and then also have to hand configure every new device, program, game, connection ).

And over the years there has been more than a little "user end error" on my behalf. But, by Win 95 I was pretty much past mistakes. And I can dig out a TON of exploits and issues that plagued Windows from 95 through at least Vista. Even the viruses and how they work have changed. Back in the day there were things like monkey-b or Trajector that didn't just spam ads or ransom your system - they burned up your mobo and killed your computer, along with a slew of just as fun variants.

Win 95 - for it's entire life cycle had a modem string exploit that basically was an open back door for anything you wanted to do at all - if you knew how. I liked to reset my friends modems on IRC then watch as they freaked out about why they couldn't stay connected ( ah the days of dial up ) but this same command could be used to kill their system if one desired.

Back orifice. Whole open season against Win machines - and for years.

DDoS exploits beyond number. One I tested set a channel trolls modem on fire. Win 98 for a long time had a remote BSOD exploit that one could code an app for. Simply highlight and click and whoever you clicked on BSOD'd.

That is a lot of back info to lead to this: Having done consumer and corporate level computer sales and having been the "go to" tech guy in my world for a long time... Yes, most Windows problems are user end error. At that store with the yellow price tag - 90% of systems that walked in were either infected with viruses or had full hard drives. Actual hardware failures were rare enough that management, at that time, was required to verify them.

BUT - even the most well versed Windows users went through some rough spots with a LOT of issues. My low point was an attack on my system that left my motherboard fried and my hard drive stuck in mass seek mode. And that was back in the days when a decent PC ran around $3,000.00. That fun little attack came in the form of a DCC bomb that saw my screen hit with hundreds of "accept DCC request" windows - that froze my processor and ensured the virus enough time to strike. By the time I yanked the plug out of the wall? Dead computer. Thankfully I'd purchased it from the above mentioned big box - and had also purchased their rip off service plan... the one and only time I have ever used one... and they tried to snake their way out of it massively. But I won and got my system repaired - six months later.

As for Win 7? M erry Christmas my friend.

top topics

<< 1  2    4 >>

join