It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

NG unveils OpenPod

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 2 2015 @ 05:41 PM
link   
Northrop Grumman has unveiled their OpenPod system, to be offered to the Air Force to mount on F-15s. The pod will be mounted on current rails used for standard pods, and will have an interchangeable front. It can carry an IRST system built by Telex, a LIDAR system, or a communications system capable of bridging the 5th generation gap.

www.flightglobal.com...

posted on Jun, 2 2015 @ 06:19 PM
link   
a reply to: Zaphod58

So where are they getting all the additional power from to run these systems and do they also have data links to broadcast, so even more Black Boxes sipping power?

posted on Jun, 2 2015 @ 06:27 PM
link   
a reply to: Forensick

Many pods have their own power supply. That's one reason they are the size they are. They'll have to upgrade the computers, but they have enough spare power for that much.

posted on Jun, 2 2015 @ 07:53 PM
link   

i wonder what that LIDAR is for......im going to say tanker stuff.

posted on Jun, 2 2015 @ 08:17 PM
link   
Would think with a mount like that it will bolt up to any aircraft in the inventory.

posted on Jun, 2 2015 @ 08:25 PM
link   

originally posted by: penroc3

i wonder what that LIDAR is for......im going to say tanker stuff.

You can do some dandy very detailed 3D ground imagery with the right design. I'd bet that's at least one pod version.

posted on Jun, 2 2015 @ 08:29 PM
link   
a reply to: penroc3

LIght Detection and Ranging --LIDAR. LIDAR uses ultraviolet, visible, or near infrared light to image objects.

It's really useful in map-making. Archaeologists have fallen in love with it.

Not sure of the military aspects of it... Other than Apollo moon missions back in the day used a primitive version of it as an altimeter, I think...

posted on Jun, 2 2015 @ 08:32 PM
link   
a reply to: seagull

LIDAR, unlike radar, is undetectable. You fire up, say a TFR system, and it's going to be detected. It won't work for an F-22, which is why they use the radar they do, but a B-2 does wonders for things like targeting, or if they have to go in low, and they don't have to worry about anyone detecting it.

posted on Jun, 2 2015 @ 08:32 PM
link   
a reply to: Blackfinger

Almost anything. They're even talking about C-17s.

posted on Jun, 2 2015 @ 11:01 PM
link   

Hmmmmmmm, I wonder since they, (NG,) are in the unveiling mood, if we're gonna see anything else really cool in the near future? Back on topic, I was also wondering about the power requirements. If the pods are self contained, are we talking about some cutting edge classified power supply? Or, just a huge bank of Li-ions?

posted on Jun, 3 2015 @ 12:37 AM
link   
a reply to: SonofaSkunk
Wind Generators

posted on Jun, 3 2015 @ 02:24 AM
link   

originally posted by: Blackfinger
a reply to: SonofaSkunk
Wind Generators

That's what I was thinking - pinwheel generators HA!

posted on Jun, 3 2015 @ 09:11 AM
link   
a reply to: Bedlam

get your self a few streamers and some cool stickers(to make it go faster) and you got one mean war fighting machine

top topics

join