It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

A Big Thank You to ATS

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:
+11 more 
posted on Jun, 2 2015 @ 03:42 PM
link   
I figured it would be the right forum for this. Today I had the honor of trying to debate somebody on Facebook. Well it really wasn't a debate it was them name calling and me trying to have a debate on the actual merits of the discussion rather than personal attacks on people that didn't even know each other.

It made me reflect upon what a good site ATS is. ATS has sharpened my debate skills and also made me a more civil debater able to discuss things with people I disagree with and still like the other person.

I didn't get to do any of that today on Facebook, even though I was debating fellow conservative people. For any of those who know me here on ATS, I'll stack my conservative libertarian credentials up against anybody else, Yet on this Facebook page I was basically called out and ridiculed as a liberal, which I found rather amusing
the saddest thing of the whole ordeal was trying to debate with people who could only resort to ad hominem attacks or personal attacks, never once trying to refute my points.

its just made me appreciate what a good site this place is and I wanted to say thanks for it.

Thanks Three Amigos

posted on Jun, 2 2015 @ 03:49 PM
link   
a reply to: pavil

Nice post. And I agree. ATS is indeed a terrific site. (Take a bow, Amigos!)

Ok, now that it's out of the way, why in heaven's name are you still on Facebook?

posted on Jun, 2 2015 @ 03:50 PM
link   
a reply to: aboutface

Ha, for the most part, I still like it.

posted on Jun, 2 2015 @ 04:06 PM
link   
And with that, Aboutface looks up 'masochism' in the dictionary.

posted on Jun, 2 2015 @ 04:20 PM
link   
I am a conservative leaning Libertarian and I get accused of being a liberal outside of ATS all the time. I think because we use logic and reason to make decisions and don't agree to swallow any party line in its entirety it makes us the enemy. Because of this I am a 'liberal' to conservatives and a 'conservative' to liberals when I am really just someone who believes in freedom and the Constitution.

posted on Jun, 2 2015 @ 05:05 PM
link   

That's what I expect from facebook. If I want intelligent conversation I come here to ATS.

posted on Jun, 2 2015 @ 05:28 PM
link   

I have never bothered with Facebook or Twitter or other such social media because I simply too lazy to keep everyone up to date on my admittedly boring life. But, I do so love intelligent, cerebral conversation and that's why I am here. It is educational and sometimes laugh-your-ass-off funny, often times simultaneously.

Thanks all !

posted on Jun, 2 2015 @ 05:30 PM
link   
a reply to: Skid Mark

lol
you just reminded me of a very sad fact

I don't have any real friends because of that
FB friends a real but I prefer to be here..then catching up with them

how sad

edit on 2-6-2015 by MimiSia because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 2 2015 @ 05:36 PM
link   
a reply to: MimiSia

Yeah, my friends on facebook are actual friends or family but none are interested in the same things I am. If I post stuff like I'd post or read here, it goes ignored.

posted on Jun, 2 2015 @ 05:46 PM
link   

originally posted by: Metallicus
I am a conservative leaning Libertarian and I get accused of being a liberal outside of ATS all the time. I think because we use logic and reason to make decisions and don't agree to swallow any party line in its entirety it makes us the enemy. Because of this I am a 'liberal' to conservatives and a 'conservative' to liberals when I am really just someone who believes in freedom and the Constitution.

I know..... It's funny how supposedly hard right or hard left people, who claim to respect the Constitution, are so willing to just toss it aside for their pet projects of "their" cause. It's the Libertarian Part that confuses them, they don't know how to react or deal with it.

posted on Jun, 2 2015 @ 05:55 PM
link   

LOL....i have to at least know who won footy games and have some knowledge of tv news to stay in a conversation with most of my mates...as soon as i mention anything alternate like on this site i can see the eyes glaze over and they likely think "here we go again with the conspiracy crap"

posted on Jun, 2 2015 @ 06:05 PM
link   

originally posted by: hopenotfeariswhatweneed

LOL....i have to at least know who won footy games and have some knowledge of tv news to stay in a conversation with most of my mates...as soon as i mention anything alternate like on this site i can see the eyes glaze over and they likely think "here we go again with the conspiracy crap"

That's the exact reaction I get. Sad world.

posted on Jun, 2 2015 @ 06:32 PM
link   
Sadly , now, if you dont agree with what the other person thinks they automatically put you in the "enemy" class .It is that type of person that will not reason nor debate. When they run out of mantras their neighbor told them they resort to name calling and/or its true because I said so. ATS is different . I know there are some that eventually get to this point , but not a lot (at that point I just look at what they posted in reply and ignore). I believe it may be the mods and the type of posters found here .

edit on 2-6-2015 by Gothmog because: spelling - new keyboard

posted on Jun, 2 2015 @ 06:34 PM
link   

I agree.

I find myself in similar positions sometimes. ATS sure does sharpen ones ability to debate.

IMO people dont go beyond facebook debating because they fear the cognitive dissonance that might transpire if they open their minds.

It really cringes me out the way people debate things on facebook. it would actually be bearable if it weren't for the completely lame arguments that seem to transpire.

I have actually come to a point where i dont even bother debating anything with anyone in person simply cos i have not yet found someone of my caliber or open-mindedness to debate with.

Everyone seems to have an preconceived agenda/view when debating something, otherwise they simply wont bother debating.
Rare is the occasion where one will debate selflessly, with the sole ambition of gaining insight!

posted on Jun, 2 2015 @ 06:35 PM
link   

originally posted by: Skid Mark

originally posted by: hopenotfeariswhatweneed

That's the exact reaction I get. Sad world.

Same here.... nobody is interested in things that we are! do you get that feeling?

posted on Jun, 2 2015 @ 06:36 PM
link   

My hubby did that up until I showed him a thread about JH15. It couldn't be that I got info before he did...it's a hoax. Then he researched....

ATS saved my marriage !!

posted on Jun, 2 2015 @ 06:50 PM
link   
a reply to: Ultralight

ATS saved my marriage !!

OK this is officially my no.1 favorite post on ATS

posted on Jun, 2 2015 @ 07:13 PM
link   
a reply to: MimiSia

My husband reads the news, the stock reports, has his online groupies and forums. I am ALWAYS hearing.... yadda-yadda this and yadda-yadda that....so when I got the scoop on him about JH15, I Snoopy danced all around the house! It was THAT big a deal. I bought myself a new pair of shoes to celebrate the event!

posted on Jun, 2 2015 @ 07:13 PM
link   
a reply to: Ultralight

Did that make him want to join? Or will that come later?

posted on Jun, 2 2015 @ 07:14 PM
link   
a reply to: combatmaster

I get that feeling all the time. I guess that's part of why I'm on here so much.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join