It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Dwayne Johnson to Star in ‘Big Trouble in Little China’ Remake

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 2 2015 @ 04:49 PM
link   
a reply to: Skid Mark

I agree that Kurt did such a great job, that this should be a sequel. I had the honor of being a friend of the late Victor Wong (he played Egg). He will be missed in the new movie, to be sure. He was such a great man, with a quirky sense of humor. My personal favorite memory of him, is going to Java City, a coffee shop in downtown Sacramento. I'm not sure how folks find out, but people would walk up to him and ask if he was an actor. He would reply by taking credit for every role ever played by Asian actors, saying he was Arnold in Happy Days, and he was in The Karate Kid (where he would proceed with the "wax on/wax off" scene, and then get into the crane pose). He would then say he wanted to branch out into more Caucasian roles in the future, as he thought he was finally talented enough at his age. The folks that asked were amused, if not a bit shocked, as you'd never expect the humor from such a wise looking man. As I said, he was a great guy and will be missed in the new film.

I cant wait to see what the new movie will bring, however. The first one was such a wild, and fun, ride, it will be hard to compete. Thanks for giving me the heads up, as now I will look out for it.

posted on Jun, 2 2015 @ 04:50 PM
link   

originally posted by: ketsuko
a reply to: quercusrex

We have no faith the Rock, as nice as he is, is that actor.

Then, since it's not that it's a remake that is the issue but the lead, I would ask who would you accept as the next Jack Burton?

I will add that I took some earlier comments as a bit of a rant against remakes in general and am simply taking the stance that they are often worth making,

posted on Jun, 2 2015 @ 04:52 PM
link   
a reply to: eatbliss

Thanks for sharing about Victor Wong. He looks like he'd be funny just by watching him in the movie. I didn't know he'd passed away. I'm sorry to hear that.

posted on Jun, 2 2015 @ 04:58 PM
link   
a reply to: quercusrex

I generally am not in favor of remakes because usually they aren't made with the care they should be and the remake ruins the good will of the original for an entire generation.

And when you have an original that is generally beloved, why risk ruining that by remaking it? What's the point?

posted on Jun, 2 2015 @ 04:59 PM
link   

originally posted by: quercusrex
a reply to: karmicecstasy Then it's just that Johnson is doing it that bothers you? Who would you pick to be the lead if you were remaking it? I think Johnson has pretty much the same campy bravado that Russell does. I wonder what you'd say about an "Escape..." remake. Who would you cast as the new Snake Pliskin?

No its not that Johnson is doing it. Its that they are building the movie with Johnson first. They should start with a solid script. Then get a solid director. Then cast an actor that can make the role his own.

Remakes are worth making sometimes. All I want is whoever does it to put a little love into it. Most remakes are just blatant cash grabs.
edit on 2-6-2015 by karmicecstasy because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 2 2015 @ 05:14 PM
link   
I just read my latest copy of Variety. They are preparing to remake The Shawshank Redemption with Kevin Hart reprising the role of Red and Robert Pattison as Andy Defresne.

Hart was quoted as saying, 'That other version was too somber, this is a chance for us to liven the mood up a bit and have some freakin' vampires, yo!'.

In related news Frank Darabont jumped from a thirty story building. Twice.

posted on Jun, 2 2015 @ 06:01 PM
link   

The original is a timeless classic. No one but Kurt Russel should be considered for the role. He did it right the first time. If it ain't broke then why fix it? I hate Hollywood.

posted on Jun, 2 2015 @ 06:04 PM
link   

originally posted by: Flint2011

The original is a timeless classic. No one but Kurt Russel should be considered for the role. He did it right the first time. If it ain't broke then why fix it? I hate Hollywood.

My thoughts exactly. Thanks for the comment.

posted on Jun, 2 2015 @ 07:07 PM
link   

originally posted by: karmicecstasy

No its not that Johnson is doing it. Its that they are building the movie with Johnson first. They should start with a solid script. Then get a solid director. Then cast an actor that can make the role his own.

Remakes are worth making sometimes. All I want is whoever does it to put a little love into it. Most remakes are just blatant cash grabs.

How do you know they didn't? When I first heard Dwayne Johnson got cast, I could see it turning out okay. It is the type of movie he actually does pretty well. Most of his other films don't work because he is a pretty limited actor. But action comedy, is where he really shines. Given a decent script this could actually turn out as a good remake with The Rock.

posted on Jun, 2 2015 @ 07:31 PM
link   
please no more reboots,remakes or re hashes. just stop hollywood, stop now.

posted on Jun, 2 2015 @ 08:25 PM
link   

originally posted by: PLAYERONE01
please no more reboots,remakes or re hashes. just stop hollywood, stop now.

As always my suggestion would be....

If you are dissatisfied with the current BS that hollywood is putting out; Make your own damn movies!! Technology has changed film making to a table top enterprise. The indy filmmaking world is alive, strong and vibrant.

You can start with this...
www.celtx.com...

Join us!!

Topic...Dwayne has a broad appeal to adolescents and folks that are clueless as to what good acting really is all about. Basically just a cult of personality revolving around muscles and rasslin. And rasslin isn't about acting, it's more like dance.

rasslin is one of my guilty pleasures...I really enjoy the theatrics , choreography and staging...bring back the Hulkster!!

One of the finest indy films ever made was "The Wrestler" with Mickey Rourke

www.imdb.com...
edit on 2-6-2015 by olaru12 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 2 2015 @ 09:12 PM
link   
DAMMIT NO!!!!!

Big Trouble is my favorite movie and I am seriously pissed about this.

Here's my prediction. The project won't get off the ground.

If it does it will be boycotted by long time fans. Stupid half brained morons will go to see it.

The only ones that will like the movie will be the ignorant who have no clue about the original and only good version of the film and actually think this one is good or even comes close to living up to the original.

I predict these two money grubbing clueless "writers" will write a piece of S@!# ruining all of our collective memories of the original.

The producers will create a product that appeals to 13 year olds and will probably give The directing job to Michael bay so he can do a ninja turtle style massacre of the film.

I left more impressive turds in my toilet then anything this film will ever become.

F!#$! YOU HOLLYWOOD!!!!!! And how dare you, you stupid writers and producers!!! Make up your own ideas stop STEALING a ruining things so you can go on your tenth vacation to Tahiti this year you worth less putzes. Tgey all collectively deserve a bitch slap to their faces. And I would too if only they weren't buried so far up their own asses.

edit on 2-6-2015 by BASSPLYR because: (no reason given)

edit on 2-6-2015 by BASSPLYR because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 2 2015 @ 09:21 PM
link   
a reply to: BASSPLYR

Hollywood in case you missed the memo. You guys aren't cool anymore your a bread and circus designed to enterytsin the idiocracy. Your clueless, out of ideas and trite. Get in where you fit in you morons and leave original classics alone.

posted on Jun, 2 2015 @ 09:24 PM
link   

F ing Hollywood now they are doing a remake of ghost in the shell with scarlet Johansson playingbtge lead Japanese characters roll. Anybody see how wrong and disingenuous this all is.

F $!# YOU HOLLYWOOD!!!!!

posted on Jun, 2 2015 @ 09:36 PM
link   

Holy WOW! That was impressive! That's one hell of a good rant and worth a thread all its own. I'm surprised it didn't melt the internet.
I wasn't making fun. I love the movie, too.

posted on Jun, 2 2015 @ 09:57 PM
link   

And to make S $!# worse is that today is my birthday!!!

Dear Bassplyr,

We've decided to ruin you favorite movie and piss all over your childhood memories....Happy birthday.

Best,

Douche bags of hollywood.

posted on Jun, 2 2015 @ 10:27 PM
link   

Interesting..

posted on Jun, 2 2015 @ 10:35 PM
link   
The only way this could work is as a sequel with Kurt Russell on board as Jack Burton.
There is some potential for awesomeness coming at it from that angle.
I'd like to see John Carpenter brought in to direct it, too.
I'm afraid going for a straight remake is going to be a big disappointment.

posted on Jun, 2 2015 @ 10:45 PM
link   

I think Kurt Russell should still be Jack Burton but older to match the older asian mage guy and his asian buddy who had a chick with GREEN EYES!!!Two girls with GREEN EYES...EEEEEEEhehehhahhaha!!!! (Sorry couldn't help myself) The old evil villain cracks me up every time ROFL. Anyhow, start with older Jack Burton and his asian buddy and good mage guy chillin playing Chinese checkers betting rent money and Dwanye Johnson comes driving through the alleyway lost in his big rig carrying ancient Chinese artifacts and the tongs start fighting everywhere like in the original and break some artifacts and the old evil revives and the story starts. Anything thing else will suck, my opinion; like you said Kurt Russell is Jack Burton End Of Story!!!! That's my take at least. But we all know it's most likely going to get messed up like a bathroom in a New York subway station. My dogs can act better for treats than most holly-wood actors nowadays can act.

I don't have too high hopes for most re-makes out there.
To think,actually good movies to come out now is a rarity. We live in a society where ex-atheles can play barbie look ugly as sin and think they are a goddess lol and T. Morgan who says he don't know if he can ever be funny again...Really... Really...........Two examples of two separate retards milking the world asking for whine and cheese but rich like King Midas it's actually ROFL!!!! When this crap is front page news daily can we really except quality from the mainstream??????

Here's some silly clips of Big trouble in the little China that I found for your viewing pleasure........ Enjoy!!!!

posted on Jun, 2 2015 @ 11:17 PM
link   
a reply to: BlessedLore

Thanks for the clips.
The movie intro sounds like it would be cool.

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5  6 >>

join