It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Dwayne Johnson to Star in ‘Big Trouble in Little China’ Remake

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 2 2015 @ 03:56 PM
link   
a reply to: AugustusMasonicus

Sorry, I don't see the difference except for semantics. Please expound.

posted on Jun, 2 2015 @ 03:58 PM
link   
Well the link says its going to be a remake. So they probably want the Rock to play the lead. If they were smart they would have this be its own thing but with nods to the original. A sequel and a remake at the same time. Have Kurt Russel cameo as Jack Burton. Have the Rock be a new character that in the end has to team up with Kurt Russel.

But that will not happen. They will take the concept of the original. Dumb it down as much as possible. Then dumb it down even more. Then release it hoping the Rock will bring in some of the leftovers from the Fast and Furious and San Andreas crowd.

edit on 2-6-2015 by karmicecstasy because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 2 2015 @ 03:59 PM
link   
a reply to: quercusrex

A cover is a pastiche. A remake is when you make the song your own.

Mad World by Depeche Mode and Gary Jules is a good example. Same song, both great, both very different.

This 'cover' of Big Trouble in Little China is doomed because it is just a rehash of a good movie with a crud actor and, most likely, a very similar screen play.

ETA: See the post above this one. He is saying basically the same thing I am.

edit on 2-6-2015 by AugustusMasonicus because: remember the Limelight

posted on Jun, 2 2015 @ 04:03 PM
link   

So Johnson is wrong for saying " Hey, that would be a really fun role to play. I'd sure like to get to be that character" ?

posted on Jun, 2 2015 @ 04:04 PM
link   

originally posted by: quercusrex
So Johnson is wrong for saying " Hey, that would be a really fun role to play. I'd sure like to get to be that character" ?

Everyone is entitled to ask for as much money as they can, no one is entitled to expect us to think this movie will not suck.

posted on Jun, 2 2015 @ 04:07 PM
link   
The Ol Pork Chop Express cannot be remade.

Will be like Fan fiction at best.
The Rock needs to calm down.

posted on Jun, 2 2015 @ 04:08 PM
link   
So you don't think that anyone involved in this remake is doing it because they really love that movie and would really enjoy getting to act it out, direct it, produce it, etc.? They're just rehashing it for the $$$?

posted on Jun, 2 2015 @ 04:10 PM
link   

No, but the studio is wrong in thinking. They can just plug the Rock in the Jack Burton role. Then make the script bland to appeal to the widest demographic. Slap the name of a beloved movie on it. And expect it to be gold. As AugustusMasonicus said, that is a cover.

edit on 2-6-2015 by karmicecstasy because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 2 2015 @ 04:10 PM
link   

They're just rehashing it for the $$$?

I would love to jam on stage with Robert Plant and Jimmy Page and get beacoup bucks too. It would be super awesome and make me money too.

If you were a Zep fan would you pay to see me?

posted on Jun, 2 2015 @ 04:13 PM
link   

originally posted by: karmicecstasy
Well the link says its going to be a remake. So they probably want the Rock to play the lead. If they were smart they would have this be its own thing but with nods to the original. A sequel and a remake at the same time. Have Kurt Russel cameo as Jack Burton. Have the Rock be a new character that in the end has to team up with Kurt Russel.

But that will not happen. They will take the concept of the original. Dumb it down as much as possible. Then dumb it down even more. Then release it hoping the Rock will bring in some of the leftovers from the Fast and Furious and San Andreas crowd.

Yeah, a team up between Dwayne as a new character and Kurt as Jack would be cool. Like you said though, I think it'll be a lobotomized version.

posted on Jun, 2 2015 @ 04:14 PM
link   
a reply to: Skid Mark

If anybody ever does a remake of The Big Lebowski . I'm calling for a Jihad!!!!

posted on Jun, 2 2015 @ 04:15 PM
link   

originally posted by: Greathouse

Already green lit and starring John Cenna.

posted on Jun, 2 2015 @ 04:15 PM
link   

originally posted by: zazzafrazz
The Ol Pork Chop Express cannot be remade.

Will be like Fan fiction at best.
The Rock needs to calm down.

Yes! Thank you!

posted on Jun, 2 2015 @ 04:16 PM
link   
I think this is more of a "Sacred Cow" issue.

"How dare you creepy Hollywood movie exec's tread on my favorite flics?" Let's wait until it comes out to pan it.

posted on Jun, 2 2015 @ 04:17 PM
link   
a reply to: Greathouse

I hear that. I'll join you.

posted on Jun, 2 2015 @ 04:19 PM
link   
a reply to: quercusrex

Nope. Because there have been some great remakes; Fist Full of Dollars, Magnificent Seven, Mutiny on the Bounty, The Maltese Falcon. I could go on.

posted on Jun, 2 2015 @ 04:20 PM
link   

originally posted by: AugustusMasonicus

originally posted by: Greathouse

Already green lit and starring John Cenna.

You speak blasphemy! Why not redo the Dirty Harry movies and put Pee Wee Herman in Clint Eastwood's role?

posted on Jun, 2 2015 @ 04:20 PM
link   

originally posted by: Skid Mark
You speak blasphemy! Why not redo the Dirty Harry movies and put Pee Wee Herman in Clint Eastwood's role?

Needs to be a wrestler to keep it in the theme.

I say Super Fly Jimmy Snuka or Captain Lou Albano.

posted on Jun, 2 2015 @ 04:22 PM
link   

I can just see Captain Lou growling, "Go ahead, make my day!" with rubber bands jiggling on his cheeks.

edit on 2-6-2015 by Skid Mark because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 2 2015 @ 04:24 PM
link   

originally posted by: Skid Mark

originally posted by: karmicecstasy

Yeah, a team up between Dwayne as a new character and Kurt as Jack would be cool. Like you said though, I think it'll be a lobotomized version.

Like I said I saw the movie in the theaters. And although it is become a great cult classic . And it's day it was considered a pretty crappy movie .

Myself I think it's excellent casting. Dwayne Johnson has had a bunch of stinkers . But then so has Kurt Russell , and please can anyone explain the difference between . Big trouble little China and The Rundown ?

They were both so goofy they were hilarious .

How many of you remember the monkeys ?

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join