It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

John Kiriakou: Freed CIA Whistleblower Exposes Torture & More Government Lies

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 2 2015 @ 12:54 PM
link   
John Kiriakou, the newly freed CIA whistleblower, joins me to expose the agency’s use of torture, as well as other government lies in this episode of Off The Grid. Kiriakou is the only man to ever be imprisoned for the CIA’s use of torture, though he never actually tortured anyone and is the reason that it came to light in the first place. In this interview, he sounds off on prosecuting Dick Cheney, Obama’s drone strikes, and the personal toll he paid for speaking out against the U.S. government.

Think our government needs to be held accountable for violating the Constitution? Let me know what you think.

posted on Jun, 2 2015 @ 12:58 PM
link   
a reply to: JesseVentura

Absolutely it does.

...and it's time we started holding them to account for actions that violate the principles that our elected critters are so vocal about defending when running for office.

From the top to the very bottom.

posted on Jun, 2 2015 @ 06:53 PM
link   

originally posted by: seagull

Absolutely it does.

...and it's time we started holding them to account for actions that violate the principles that our elected critters are so vocal about defending when running for office.

From the top to the very bottom.

Agreed 100%.

I hold, apparently like yourself, that real patriots hold their elected officials accountable under the law for violating both the law and our claimed American principles. Some of those principles are universal human rights, freedom from cruel punishment, due process, etc. The CIA torture as well as lack of due process for scores of people arrested after 911 abroad violates our American principles. Torture also is a war crime.

Those officials that okayed all of this should be in jail, just like any other person who breaks very serious laws.

posted on Jun, 2 2015 @ 07:00 PM
link   

originally posted by: JesseVentura
John Kiriakou, the newly freed CIA whistleblower, joins me to expose the agency’s use of torture, as well as other government lies in this episode of Off The Grid. Kiriakou is the only man to ever be imprisoned for the CIA’s use of torture, though he never actually tortured anyone and is the reason that it came to light in the first place. In this interview, he sounds off on prosecuting Dick Cheney, Obama’s drone strikes, and the personal toll he paid for speaking out against the U.S. government.

Think our government needs to be held accountable for violating the Constitution? Let me know what you think.

Thank you Jesse, as a public figure, one with a background in both entertainment and politics, for keeping up the pressure on our government for serious transgressions of human rights such as CIA torture. It is critical if we want to restore our integrity as a country and reputation abroad that we address this.

Too many public figures or high-level professionals, ESPECIALLY those in public policy or politics, will not address anything truly controversial or anything that puts the US government or nationalism in a bad light. Most, as I'm sure you know, are more focused on their own political or business career and ladder climbing than speaking truth to such issues.

I know, because I studied public policy and international affairs in grad school and worked around the UN A bit. In grad school some of my professors were some well-known economists and or UN officials here in NYC. When I brought up some of the proxy wars such as in Syria and covert ops, all I could I could get out of them was a knowing smile and a change of subject. It is the same with half of the people I know or have worked with in international development (my own field). A lot seem political at heart, looking to go up the ladder, and not willing to be too critical of policy or leaders because they don't want it to affect their career.

posted on Jun, 2 2015 @ 07:18 PM
link   
The CIA has been corrupt since its inception and prior to that under the OSS.

posted on Jun, 2 2015 @ 11:05 PM
link   
Who would fight this and why?

What would anyone gain, except possibly winning a court battle, by fighting it?

Who or what would get any reparations from fines?

What would change for the better after winning this fight?

And all those questions are only possible if someone actually has a chance to challenge the CIA and win!

IMO, there are bad possibilities if this is challenged and either won or lost, it's a lose/lose situation.

posted on Jun, 3 2015 @ 02:12 AM
link   

Watch the video. It explains itself:

Megadeth - Architecture Of Agression:

Edit: I can't find a version these days with the lyrics included in the video in English. If you need more info, look up the lyrics, and think about what it means in context with the video. It's totally relevant to this thread. The Architecture of Aggression has killed millions. Does it matter if people speak up? So far it doesn't seem to make much of a difference, but at least the truth is starting to come into the light... If this world would just have peace afterall, we could have been so much farther than we are now... Like 20 or more light years out...
edit on 6/3/2015 by InFriNiTee because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 3 2015 @ 09:49 AM
link   
WE need more patriots like this man. Its hard for me to even wrap my head around the idea that there are American people sitting at desks with Information that could crush this new form of government. I'm not anti government at all, I just think there is a rogue element of this Gov that has become way to powerful, and have the ability to spin media, politics, health, education, etc..... It will be this countries downfall

posted on Jun, 3 2015 @ 10:29 PM
link   
Kiriakou:

...no oversight from capitol hill. If congress isn't going to oversee the CIA no body is.

Ventura:

...arn't we above all that? Do we stoop the the level of those we go out and fight?

Ron Paul:

the same free market principals applied to U.S. domestic policy should be applied to U.S. foreign policy

You mean the human-rights principals, don't you, Ron?

posted on Jun, 3 2015 @ 10:30 PM
link   

originally posted by: Quetzalcoatl14
Thank you Jesse, as a public figure, one with a background in both entertainment and politics, for keeping up the pressure on our government for serious transgressions of human rights such as CIA torture. It is critical if we want to restore our integrity as a country and reputation abroad that we address this.

What pressure?
He made a tv show, and now posts on ATS. His target audience is YOU.
He isn't going to pressure anyone, he isn't going to change anything.
What he will do though, is milk people like you so he makes more money.

What's he done that's changed anything for the better?
His show basically rehashed old theories and was scripted for your consumption.

He isn't some anti-government/anti-nwo/anti-elites campaigner. He is a shill just like Alex Jones. Except unlike Alex Jones he isn't yelling and ranting like a lunatic on a radio show, he went out and about to "confront" in front of tv cameras of course. And now he's here, on ATS, telling people like you what you want to hear.
But it's all to no effect or consequence to anyone.

posted on Jun, 4 2015 @ 12:12 AM
link   

originally posted by: mortex

What pressure?

He isn't some anti-government/anti-nwo/anti-elites campaigner. He is a shill just like Alex Jones. Except unlike Alex Jones he isn't yelling and ranting like a lunatic on a radio show, he went out and about to "confront" in front of tv cameras of course. And now he's here, on ATS, telling people like you what you want to hear.

With all due respect, it is very rare that someone with a high public profile puts pressure on issues such as this. Just someone with any kind of celebrity or public profile adding their voice to these issues basically puts it on the radar for thousands or even millions of people. Marketing matters FOR SURE.

I don't know and cannot speak to whether any of the people you named are "shills." Where is your evidence for that?

posted on Jun, 4 2015 @ 09:16 AM
link   
Shills, con-artists, court-jesters, entertainers...
They are providing a certain demographic with the content they wish to see.

Jesse Ventura, Alex Jones, and the rest of them...NONE of them are putting pressure on anyone let alone any government, despite what they or others might claim.

posted on Jun, 4 2015 @ 08:49 PM
link   
This is such an interesting topic, especially how the government replies to people who expose their activities. Most Americans do not want to be associated with a government that does these things (drones, torture, etc). And while there is merit in "fighting the war over there not here, and ending it sooner rather than later" as a republic we have laws we must abide by to maintain our society.

In class we had this debate, about if and when torture should ever be used. It's easy for us to say "NEVER" but I wonder what we would do given the means and motivation should we feel our loved ones were in imminent threat. I would hope that I would never be placed in a position, as I value life. I want to be the person who can stand in opposition who feel it is an appropriate response. The most compelling argument of the debate was "If we cannot prevent the torture of the people most deserving of it, it is only a matter of time until we cannot prevent the torture of those least deserving of it. If what we deem as scum of our society is not protected by our most basic tenets - then none of us are worthy of that luxury either." It was an interesting perspective.

Thank you for the video!

posted on Jun, 5 2015 @ 04:00 AM
link   

The things that are coming out about the government these days are mindblowing.

posted on Jun, 5 2015 @ 05:17 AM
link   

What pressure?

With all due respect, it is very rare that someone with a high public profile puts pressure on issues such as this. Just someone with any kind of celebrity or public profile adding their voice to these issues basically puts it on the radar for thousands or even millions of people. Marketing matters FOR SURE.

If you aske the average person who Jesse Ventura is, they'd say professional wrestler and MAYBE ex-governor. Most people don't have the faintest idea about his new projects. They're fringe and he certainly doesn't have a show on prime time. There is no pressure on government whatsoever.

I mean think about it, Edward Snowdan put "pressure" on the government (nudge, nudge, wink, wink) so they can feign like they care, wait a year or two and rewrite the law so now that which was whistleblown is now a part of the new law.

If it gets media time, you're being played, period.

posted on Jun, 5 2015 @ 08:52 AM
link   

originally posted by: KaDeCo
This is such an interesting topic, especially how the government replies to people who expose their activities. Most Americans do not want to be associated with a government that does these things (drones, torture, etc). And while there is merit in "fighting the war over there not here, and ending it sooner rather than later" as a republic we have laws we must abide by to maintain our society.

In class we had this debate, about if and when torture should ever be used. It's easy for us to say "NEVER" but I wonder what we would do given the means and motivation should we feel our loved ones were in imminent threat. I would hope that I would never be placed in a position, as I value life. I want to be the person who can stand in opposition who feel it is an appropriate response. The most compelling argument of the debate was "If we cannot prevent the torture of the people most deserving of it, it is only a matter of time until we cannot prevent the torture of those least deserving of it. If what we deem as scum of our society is not protected by our most basic tenets - then none of us are worthy of that luxury either." It was an interesting perspective.

Thank you for the video!

posted on Jun, 5 2015 @ 08:56 AM
link   

originally posted by: Rosinitiate

What pressure?

If you aske the average person who Jesse Ventura is, they'd say professional wrestler and MAYBE ex-governor. Most people don't have the faintest idea about his new projects. They're fringe and he certainly doesn't have a show on prime time. There is no pressure on government whatsoever.

I mean think about it, Edward Snowdan put "pressure" on the government (nudge, nudge, wink, wink) so they can feign like they care, wait a year or two and rewrite the law so now that which was whistleblown is now a part of the new law.

If it gets media time, you're being played, period. [/quote)

I wouldn't go that far. Not everything in the media or that gets some form of media time is a conspiracy. A lot is for sure. But even people like Jesse Ventura DO raise the awareness bar on some of these topics.

Your average person really does often react to information based on "arguments from authority." Many of them WILL listen or consider an idea more if a person of note (yes even just a famous wrestler and ex-governor) says something. If that influences the societal conversation and increases them, then it does put pressure on the government.

The only way that we are really going to change things is if a critical mass of people become aware and demand change. That is what real pressure on the government will look like.
edit on 5-6-2015 by Quetzalcoatl14 because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

join