It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Question: To what extent are disinformation agents active on ATS?

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+28 more 
posted on Jun, 2 2015 @ 12:24 PM
link   
This is a simple question with a complex premise – a question that has, at various times, been proposed, hinted-at, and blatantly directed depending on the volatility of the subject matter on this esteemed forum. Specifically regarding Aliens and UFO subject matter:

Are there disinformation agents active on ATS? If the answer is affirmative, as we’ve all heard many members assert, then the corollaries must also be asked: To what extent are these agents active? Who do they represent? Alphabet-Acronym Government organizations? If government, are they Domestic or Foreign or Both? Which Countries? How about the Main-Stream Media (TMSM)? What of commercial interests or private concerns, such as corporations, think tanks, or consulting firms? Who else may be involved -Institutions – academic, NGOs? Do private vagabonds and individual protagonists chime in?

DISINFORMATION
Disinformation is intentionally false or inaccurate information that is spread deliberately. It is an act of deception and false statements to convince someone of untruth. Wikipedia

Let’s assume for the time being that there are, in fact, one or more, perhaps even a majority, of the entities described above active on this (and other) forum/blog/social network sites, purposefully deceiving or attempting to influence viewers and participants toward an erroneous or dubious conclusion. Why? What is the ulterior motive? What is the agenda??

Other than the obvious conclusion of: they are here to lie to us, to discourage belief in aliens/UFOs, etc. – what else is there? If we agree that such disinformation agents exist and are active here (and, indeed, may be ubiquitous), who is paying them? WHY ARE THEY LYING TO US? What do they hope to gain by doing so? Is it fear of disclosure?

Where did this idea that the common man, society, the unwashed masses that are the unprivileged ignorant (you and me), do not deserve the truth, can’t handle the truth, or should not be entitled to the truth? Why NOT? Who decided this was to be the case? To what end? Merely to protect military advantage/secrets? As part of an alien agenda, at their behest? Why?

And another thing: How is that so many disparate agencies, international governments, and private enterprises are able to pull this off in concert? There seems to be an amazing dichotomy here if we are to accept that all of these separate, contradicting units, that compete and bungle and conflict on every other global issue are somehow able to ‘keep it together’ when it comes to protecting this oh-so-important secret! What? We can pollute and destroy our planet, kill each other with abandon, ruin our economies, fight over and botch the most innocuous issue, fail and fiasco our way through every international dispute – but we (they) are somehow able to enforce and maintain a disinformation campaign and keep us in the dark over this Alien/UFO question indefinitely? Is that believable?

Is it working? Again, assuming that this disinformation agenda is active and pervasive, is it having the desired affect? Not sure about you all, but it has been a frustrating exercise on numerous topics trying to get at the truth –or even just the semblance of truth. Many threads here seem to have a deliberate ‘curve ball’ thrown in at just the right moment, which often quickly dissolves the thread into a pissing-match between skeptics and believers, CGI/Photoshop-enthusiasts and witnesses, etc. Mission accomplished? Have you ever found yourself enjoying a discussion, and then extracting yourself once the sparks start to fly, and instead of examining and discussing the topic, participants revert to name-calling and personal accusations unrelated to the issue? So you bail. Me too. Mission accomplished?

So what say you? Are there disinformation agents active on ATS, and what do YOU think they are trying to accomplish? WHY are they doing it? WHO is controlling it/paying for it? WHY? I’ve encountered some of the sharpest minds, and most astute observers and thinkers here on ATS – I’d be very interested in your opinion on this. Thanks for your time…

edit on 6/2/2015 by Outrageo because:

+30 more 
posted on Jun, 2 2015 @ 12:27 PM
link   
a reply to: Outrageo

DISINFORMATION Disinformation is intentionally false or inaccurate information that is spread deliberately. It is an act of deception and false statements to convince someone of untruth. Wikipedia

This place is brimming with them.

posted on Jun, 2 2015 @ 12:28 PM
link   
Well let me tell you something

We have had a pretty busy few months!

posted on Jun, 2 2015 @ 12:30 PM
link   

Election season hasn't even started yet!

Oh does it ever get wild in here during primary season!

Personally, I don't think we have that many honestly. The ones that do it, usually out themselves pretty quickly.

~Tenth

+8 more 
posted on Jun, 2 2015 @ 12:30 PM
link   
I think it was just recently stated by the site owner on another thread that there are more gov bot than actual members at ATS. Now imagine those he doesn't know about.

posted on Jun, 2 2015 @ 12:31 PM
link   

originally posted by: draknoir2

Yes, granted, agreed, thank you. BUT WHO are they? And WHY? What is the motive? WHY lie to us?

edit on 6/2/2015 by Outrageo because:

posted on Jun, 2 2015 @ 12:33 PM
link   

originally posted by: Outrageo

Yes, granted, agreed, thank you.

I don't think it is.

posted on Jun, 2 2015 @ 12:33 PM
link   

Why lie?

"Timmy, did you still the cookie from the cookie jar?"
Timmy: "Yes, yes I did. And you know what mum, it was good, really freaking good!"

+11 more 
posted on Jun, 2 2015 @ 12:34 PM
link   
The thing that always gets me about this idea of having "shills" working on ATS is this:

Why bother?

Think about the amount of utter crap that is on this site, just stuff that is quite obviously total bollocks, why would they need disinfo agents, what are they going to do, post yet more pictures of Martian rocks?

I am sure that there is someone sitting in a office at the NSA who every now and then might have a little peek at what is being said on ATS and other conspiracy sites but nothing more.

I would think that they are more interested in social media sites than conspiracy sites.

posted on Jun, 2 2015 @ 12:37 PM
link   
In order for disinformation to be effective and worthwhile, it has to be believed to some extent. The idea is to create semi-plausible stories that are just outlandish enough to paint the "real" information with a bad brush.

Around here, however, you have a pretty strong contingent of logical, reasonable skeptics who have the ability to recognize when a story is being presented without enough corroborating evidence to have any real value. So a disinformation story never has a chance to gain much of a foothold here. There are other paranormal websites where people are a lot more simply accepting of whatever story somebody comes up with, and as long as it fits the standard mythology of whatever is being discussed, they'll be enthusiastically believed.

I think disinformants don't find very fertile ground here, so coming here would be a waste of time and energy (and maybe money, although I don't know why anybody would invest money doing such a thing).
edit on 2-6-2015 by Blue Shift because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 2 2015 @ 12:39 PM
link   

originally posted by: Outrageo

originally posted by: draknoir2

Yes, granted, agreed, thank you. BUT WHO are they? And WHY? What is the motive? WHY lie to us?

I don't think you are going to get the WHO. Or you might if they start providing disinformation about this thread.

posted on Jun, 2 2015 @ 12:40 PM
link   

originally posted by: OtherSideOfTheCoin
The thing that always gets me about this idea of having "shills" working on ATS is this:

I am sure that there is someone sitting in a office at the NSA who every now and then might have a little peek at what is being said on ATS and other conspiracy sites but nothing more.

Perhaps those NSA gumshoes want to know what we may know - or what we "think" we know? Do you think they ever do anything more than just "take a peek' now and then? They don't post, i.e., 'disinform' -as a part of their job?
edit on 6/2/2015 by Outrageo because: ?

+4 more 
posted on Jun, 2 2015 @ 12:42 PM
link   
There doesn't really need to be dis info agents any more. With so many people trying to make money from the whole aliens thing making up any excuse for there to be aliens just so they can sell books or DVD's the disinfo program is independent and self sustaining.

People only have to see a Chinese lantern in the distance these days and they are all over face book and youtube screaming the aliens are coming.

edit on 2-6-2015 by PhoenixOD because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 2 2015 @ 12:46 PM
link   

ZERO EXTENT. Let's not pretend this site is actually revealing anything. It's not. We're just average people with similar interests and none of us knows Jack about anything top secret.
I don't you don't he doesn't and neither does she. This is all entertainment not a think tank.

posted on Jun, 2 2015 @ 12:47 PM
link   
a reply to: draknoir2

Yeah right. Sure it is.

posted on Jun, 2 2015 @ 12:48 PM
link   

I think one can acquire what to gain from a discussion thread by connecting with and reading other's responses. From my experience, it's best to leave emotions out of a heated debate. You don't want to step out of line and say something you probably wouldn't have said in the first place. Remember, negative emotion and attitude will heed the same results. Positive aspects will reward you with that, positive things. This is where karma will begin coming into play. Which is a different topic. I find it best communicating with other likeminded individuals. Not saying I don't enjoy having conversations with people who think differently. Alas, we are all on this same planet! So in the end, every humans outcome will be the same!

posted on Jun, 2 2015 @ 12:51 PM
link   
Thanks for blowing it for me! It was a sweet gig while it lasted.

posted on Jun, 2 2015 @ 12:52 PM
link   

originally posted by: AutumnWitch657
a reply to: draknoir2

Yeah right. Sure it is.

Give the post a second look.

posted on Jun, 2 2015 @ 12:56 PM
link   
yep, I'm kinda an expert on this one guys....let me just go ahead and handle this one there Bob...sticks hand out just a little and at that angle....you know...like in " Office Space "
I hack finance charts.....say no more mate....
the title read to what extent.....more significant possibly, is how quickly....
I hacked the forex charts and decided to trade by my wristwatch at the London open.....kicking booty
now, where we....Oh yes, when we left this morning, now try to stay with me on this.....we had just enough fuel to reach the island, good news is we are ou....wait....wrong movie ha ha
by my trading method, about 3 clicks on the dial.....

edit on 2-6-2015 by GBP/JPY because: our new King.....He comes right after a nicely done fake one

posted on Jun, 2 2015 @ 12:59 PM
link   

It is likely that disinfo agents ARE on these boards, but it is more likely that they aren't really that active. Believers do a FINE job of spreading disinfo on their own without their help.

Remember the key isn't to deny the truth, but to obscure it in SOOOO much BS that you can't find the truth in the sea of lies. Denying truth is a giveaway to a crappy disinfo agent or someone who is just a useful idiot. Unfortunately many believers don't recognize this and continue to call people who support the mainstream accounts in lieu of CTs as shills or disinfo agents.

The best bet is to just not worry about it and increase your ability to analyze and vet sources so you can find the truth on your own.
edit on 2-6-2015 by Krazysh0t because: (no reason given)

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join