It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Chinese dog-eating festival outrages foreigners

page: 6
<< 3  4  5    7 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 3 2015 @ 04:44 PM
link   
a reply to: paraphi

Yet China has no animal welfare laws in place. You can skin a dog alive and no one will care one jot. In fact they do.

Yeah - I get it paraphi. The Chinese suck

They probably always will. Not like us

edit on 6/3/2015 by Spiramirabilis because: sarcasm vs. denial

posted on Jun, 3 2015 @ 06:23 PM
link   
I love dogs, my dogs in particular. I have one napping at my feet at this very moment. However, it isn't our place to judge the practices/traditions of other cultures. Stop it. Let the Chinese sort it out for themselves.

posted on Jun, 4 2015 @ 05:21 AM
link   
Interesting discussion. I guess it happens elsewhere also; I was in Taiwan in the early 1990s on a research exchange and my handler (for want of a better term) took me to a jade market held in a freeway flyover.

It wasn't just jade on sale, oh no: at the end of the stalls, tucked behind a pillar, there were dozens of cages of dogs for sale. I naively assumed they were sold as pets, but no, it was explained that they were for food. Nasty business.

posted on Jun, 4 2015 @ 05:55 AM
link   
If dogs are eaten in that part of the world, what business is it of ours to say they are wrong? I may not agree but then i also don't agree with Foie Gras - doesn't stop me eating duck though.....

And to be honest, when you consider the human rights abuses that occur daily in China, i can't imagine the plight of dogs is that high up the agenda, either politically or socially /culturally.

posted on Jun, 4 2015 @ 05:58 AM
link   
I can accept people in other parts of the world eating dogs etc.
What I can't stand is the casual cruelty of these people.

I once saw a video of some B******s skinning dogs alive. That stuck in my head ever since.
There's just no excuse for cruelty.
It may be hypocritical, but when I see stuff like that, I'd happily beat those people to death.

posted on Jun, 4 2015 @ 10:16 PM
link   
Time and again, many involved in this claimed they would become more humane in practice. They have not. Something more needs to be done by the country itself.

Currently and in the past Chinese Animal Rights and Activists and volunteers really do try to help(despite some saying everyone in the country is involved). Here's one older source:See here

The head of an animal rescue center in China said Sunday that volunteers have rescued about 900 dogs that were being transported in poor conditions in a truck. Chen Mingcai of the Chongqing Small Animal Protection Association said that a travelling citizen became suspicious of the truck and called police, who detained the truck driver on Friday night.

posted on Jun, 6 2015 @ 05:07 AM
link   
www.youtube.com... this post just reminded me of that . The Chinese really will eat anything

posted on Jun, 6 2015 @ 06:08 AM
link   

originally posted by: Spiramirabilis
Yeah - I get it paraphi. The Chinese suck

No, but their lack of any animal welfare standards and general cultural ignorance of animal rights does.

I am unapologetic in comparing the cruelty endemic in Chinese society towards animals with the much higher standards people have fought for in my country. If people accept this as "an acceptable cultural difference", then the world will never move forwards.

Infanticide in some countries is a "cultural norm", as is female genital mutilation and the abhorrent treatment of women and girls, but I will not be silent on those matters either.

posted on Jun, 6 2015 @ 09:41 AM
link   

I've several times in this thread highlighted just how well you've done in your country. You didn't feel it necessary to acknowledge that or even discuss it. No mention of the cruelty going on in here in America? It's not exactly a secret

No need for you to apologize for the Chinese. For one thing - it's not all Chinese

Infanticide in some countries is a "cultural norm", as is female genital mutilation and the abhorrent treatment of women and girls, but I will not be silent on those matters either.

And I won't be silent about certain things either. But - we need some balance. Villainy always sells - but, to paraphrase myself - we are all villains sometimes - and heroes

Chinese dog-eating festival outrages foreigners

Your Op title. I'd like to point out that it also outrages many Chinese

My first post and reply to you was not exactly an attack. It was a challenge. The world needs to see that this is a constant - worldwide

Funny - your reaction :-)

edit on 6/6/2015 by Spiramirabilis because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 6 2015 @ 09:53 AM
link   

originally posted by: johnb Never understood why anybody gets upset by people any particular type of animal.

You can either eat them all or none

though literally rational, that's not strictly fair, as dogs have held a much closer bond with humans (as pets, guards, workers,rescuers etc) than any other animal, for a very long time and as such the notion of eating them is likely to be distressing and repugnant, to a great many people worldwide. ps. i am a vegetarian so technically i'm in the 'eat none' group.

posted on Jun, 6 2015 @ 11:21 AM
link   
a reply to: WakeUpBeer

The idea actually is to not let the animal know that it's about to die. Any stress before an animal dies has a bad effect on the meat, which is not good at all.

On topic, if they want to eat dogs, then so be it. Some people eat horse, we eat cows and pigs, some won't eat cows, some won't eat pigs. Food is food.

Oh, and I think pets are unnecessary. It's an outdated, useless practice. But it is a revenue source for many, so whatever.

posted on Jun, 6 2015 @ 12:39 PM
link   

Trying to impose our western morality on an eastern people smacks of orientalism and colonialism. It's well meaning, but it's still not the thing to do. My heart aches for all animals who suffer cruelty at the hands of humans, but I resign myself to the fact that the best I can do is to do right my the animals in my life.

posted on Jun, 6 2015 @ 12:41 PM
link   
in order to redeme themselves the chinese need to hold :

" the chinese pussy eating festival "

it makes sense on every level

posted on Jun, 6 2015 @ 01:07 PM
link   
I can't think of a better use for a dog than to serve it Szechuan style. Good for the Chinese.

posted on Jun, 14 2015 @ 10:17 PM
link   
this is so stupid to get mad over. cultural differences you #in idiots

posted on Jun, 14 2015 @ 11:47 PM
link   

originally posted by: johnb
Never understood why anybody gets upset by people any particular type of animal.

You can either eat them all or none or its just hypocrisy (or for religious beliefs - although i don't think any religion says you can't eat dog)

The more they help, the less inclined many are to eat them. It's a selfish thing, but some people forget this and project their wants, and needs onto their "loved pets". You can hear them speak of these wants and needs to their pets... it's as if they really don't get that their pet doesn't comprehend them, or care for their wants and needs... they just want to be fed and secure. --awwe, aren't you soooo cute... don't you want to stay in bed all day... aren't you so spoiled... yes you are, yesss youu areeee ... my god, the lack of self-wareness.

posted on Jun, 15 2015 @ 12:01 AM
link   

originally posted by: johnb
Never understood why anybody gets upset by people any particular type of animal.

You can either eat them all or none or its just hypocrisy (or for religious beliefs - although i don't think any religion says you can't eat dog)

Eating dog isn't practiced a lot around the world, that's why it's rare, seems very out of the norm, and disgusting... no matter who and where you are. If it were a global practice, it wouldn't be making news.. It's taboo, period.
edit on 15-6-2015 by Kromlech because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 17 2015 @ 07:32 AM
link   
Also, there was a bag of rice tipping over I heard.
Not that I do not love dogs but like some members said, most Hindus praise the cow to be sacred.
Everyone being upset should stop eating beef.
As for the treatment the animals there get, well that´s another book...
Like eating the brain of a half living/half dead monkey.

posted on Jun, 17 2015 @ 08:25 AM
link   

originally posted by: Cinrad
Usually I would say that it is up to them what they want to eat, but dogs do have a higher intelligence than most animals and seem to have some level of empathy with us, so slaughtering them like that.... I dont know.

Pigs are more intelligent than dogs..

posted on Jun, 17 2015 @ 08:26 AM
link   
a reply to: Kromlech

Eating dog isn't practiced a lot around the world,

Apart from in China with over a 1/5 of the worlds population...

top topics

<< 3  4  5    7 >>

join