It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Amazing footage of "horizontal" lightning during storm over NZ

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 2 2015 @ 05:23 AM
link   
Hi everyone,

Just thought I would share this amazing footage of some lightning taken in Auckland NZ this evening. The video is only 17 seconds long so it is worth it!

LINK

posted on Jun, 2 2015 @ 05:31 AM
link   
pretty cool

posted on Jun, 2 2015 @ 06:34 AM
link   
a reply to: Leeyum

Man i love lightning storms, just something about the raw power. Nice vid.

Check out this super slow motion lightning clip. The individual forks are called step leaders.

Once the ionization process begins and plasma forms, a path is not created instantaneously. In fact, there are usually many separate paths of ionized air stemming from the cloud. These paths are typically referred to as step leaders.
The step leaders propagate toward the earth in stages, which do not have to result in a straight line to the earth.

science.howstuffworks.com...

I wonder how, if lightning has to discharge to earth how does it travel horizontal, interesting stuff.

posted on Jun, 2 2015 @ 08:08 AM
link   
a reply to: TheMadTitan

Beautiful video of a flower-like strike!

I was going to post that we tend to accept without a though that lightening travels at the speed of light. Probably we think that for no good reason other than it is fast, especially if witnessed close up. But it does not travel that fast. Sometimes a long strike at a far distance moving horizontally across the sky can be glimpsed to in its movement. This high-speed capture of a beautiful strike clearly shows that feature.

posted on Jun, 2 2015 @ 02:27 PM
link   
I'm a Westie and that storm came right over our house, it was incredible, I have never seen so much lightning in one storm, it was constant flashes on lightning and a continuous rumble of thunder for about half an hour maybe. Loads of fork lightning which I don't see very often. I love to count the time between flashes and rumbles but there was no knowing which rumble went with which flash.a reply to: Leeyum

posted on Jun, 2 2015 @ 02:53 PM
link   
"The Horizontal Lightning"

is a bad nickname to have in the dating scene.

posted on Jun, 2 2015 @ 02:55 PM
link   

originally posted by: RagingStoner
"The Horizontal Lightning"

is a bad nickname to have in the dating scene.

I would think the opposite, no? Anyway, great vids, lightning has its moments that's for sure.
edit on 2-6-2015 by Aleister because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 2 2015 @ 03:04 PM
link   
a reply to: Aleister

I would think the opposite, no?

Ehm, I think a powerfull 1 second burst is going to cut it, but I see how there are multiple interpretations.

top topics

join