It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Whales in mass stranding at Staffin on Skye

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 2 2015 @ 04:24 AM
link   
not sure if this is the correct forum. 21 pilot whales have stranded on the shore at Staffin on Skye. They have managed to get 18 back out to sea one has died and I guess the others will be taken out when its possible. I wondered if this was just one maybe ill and the others coming into shore with it or if the navy are about there with sonar disrupting them? Just thought it was interesting.
www.bbc.co.uk...

posted on Jun, 2 2015 @ 04:31 AM
link   
a reply to: alienscot1

I ask myself the same questions when that happens. It makes me sad when an event like that happens. I do think they accompany a sick one, because they communicate a lot with each other, but of course we can never be sure until scientists do autopsies and take it from there.

posted on Jun, 2 2015 @ 04:34 AM
link   

originally posted by: alienscot1
not sure if this is the correct forum. 21 pilot whales have stranded on the shore at Staffin on Skye. They have managed to get 18 back out to sea one has died and I guess the others will be taken out when its possible. I wondered if this was just one maybe ill and the others coming into shore with it or if the navy are about there with sonar disrupting them? Just thought it was interesting.
www.bbc.co.uk...
I think when that happens they are trying to get away from something. They are close family units, but an entire unit would not beach themselves for one sick one. They are incredibly smart. They were fleeing something. This is LONG You must really be interested in the topic to read it. I believe this is the reason for some beachings, definitely not all.
edit on 2-6-2015 by reldra because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 2 2015 @ 05:20 AM
link   
a reply to: reldra

Interesting read. Thanks for the link. With all the strong EQs in the Pacific recently it's a wonder there are any whales still swimming around, IMHO of course.

posted on Jun, 2 2015 @ 06:08 AM
link   
a reply to: alienscot1

the problem with blaming sonar // propellors // polution etc etc is that whale beaching has been documented throughout human history

posted on Jun, 2 2015 @ 06:42 AM
link   
recent update says it was believed the stranding was caused by a female whale getting into difficulty while calving. The calf died.
edit on 2-6-2015 by alienscot1 because: grammar

top topics

join