It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Has a foundation of the Bible influenced our past/present research on UFO's/Extra Terrestrials?

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 3 2015 @ 04:40 AM
link   
a reply to: UliVonTerra

Are you saying there are plenty threads about Carl Sagan being a Christian? That I would find interesting....Carl Sagan is a brilliant scientist...but the whole science vs religion debate is really science vs Christianity...The whole point of this thread is what if the debate was science vs indigenous religion? You know...the religions that Ancient Alien Theorist base all their theories off of...

posted on Jun, 3 2015 @ 08:10 AM
link   

originally posted by: combatmaster
a reply to: Collekt

but to say that the bible is the main reason of advancements in civilisations is just not right.

I didnt say it is the MAIN reason..... there is no main reason we advanced to the point that we did apart from our natural tendency to evolve this way (given our principles). I do, however, believe that it is a big part of what kick-started us into this direction.

a reply to: ilpero

There's no denying the bible played a big part in our history, but we would still have evolved as a civilization without the bible around to play the role of a moral compass.

I never said any different... i agree. We still would've evolved as a civilization, albeit a far more different one than our current civilization as we know it today.
Im guessing more of a hunger games type scenario. More scientifically advanced... sure! Less humane?... You bet ya!

FYI you mixed up the quotes there, mine was the second one not the first. There are far too many factors to consider to come to the conclusion that we would have been less humane without the bible. Any number of things could have happened to steer us toward a more humane society. We don't HAVE to have the bible to come to the conclusion that we probably shouldn't sacrifice children and commit other atrocities. I think you're overestimating its worth. Let's also not forget that religion is a large cause of war and violence.

posted on Jun, 3 2015 @ 01:55 PM
link   
a reply to: Collekt

I don't really mind if there is a side discussion in the thread by how outlandish of a statement that poster made. Seriously? The bible gave the planet it's moral compass? I have never heard that before, and the fact of the matter it's quite the opposite. That person needs to read some anthropology books to understand how many cultures don't need the bible.

There is a limit on how long of a thread title you can have and I actually didn't want to use the Bible in the title because it draws the wrong theme into the thread. I also didn't want to have an extreme controversial title such as the genocide of the native americans, and native people all over the world, caused a bias approach to searching for extra terrestrials and UFO's. I can't remember what I initially had as the title, but the current title is not the original.

Imagine if the correlation of native mythology, religion, and astronomy was used by Nasa instead of Erich Von Daniken jumping to the Ancient Alien Theory? So instead of the are we alone in the universe did God create us debate, we actually reference mythology, religion, and astronomy from native people instead? But we don't live in that reality because the native people's kingdoms were all taken over though colonization and the spread of the bible. It's sad.

I apologize for not referencing details of the ancient/native cultures I'm referring to, but I think the point is clear. I think NASA and all the ET/UFO scientist would have more optimistic approach to searching for ET/UFO's if the bible and colonization did not succeed. Only now are they having an optimistic approach...shoulda, woulda, coulda...been back along time ago having an optimistic approach...Notice how Christianity is not as prevalent in our current times as it was in the past? hmmmmmmmm......

posted on Jun, 3 2015 @ 03:36 PM
link   
a lot of today's "new agers" write about the "God was an Alien" theory
so in that sense it might have made difference for research purposes

posted on Jun, 3 2015 @ 04:02 PM
link   
The Bible has influenced pretty much everything. I hear it's a very popular book, even though it's not read a lot.

posted on Jun, 3 2015 @ 10:51 PM
link   

originally posted by: game over man
a reply to: Logarock

What is the OT in reference to Judaism? I already stated that you can extrapolate Ancient Alien Theory from Christianity/Judaism/Catholicism...that's not the point...

Well to help me understand, how would the other religions and belief systems you mentioned have been different in regards to influence?

Imagine if the correlation of native mythology, religion, and astronomy was used by Nasa instead of Erich Von Daniken jumping to the Ancient Alien Theory? So instead of the are we alone in the universe did God create us debate, we actually reference mythology, religion, and astronomy from native people instead? But we don't live in that reality because the native people's kingdoms were all taken over though colonization and the spread of the bible. It's sad.

(From your post above) You must establish this, both sides, a bit further. Why? Because for the very large part it looks like it was technology and science that lent itself, made the idea a reality, more so than the bible or the native thinking.
edit on 3-6-2015 by Logarock because: n

posted on Jun, 4 2015 @ 01:55 PM
link   
a reply to: game over man

the bible gave the planet it's moral compass? I have never heard that before

The because i never said it...

the native people's kingdoms were all taken over though colonization and the spread of the bible. It's sad.

Ask yourself, why?

Dont get me wrong.... im not defending the bible or religion. it might be the reason we strive for what we do, technologically and ethically.
ill give u an analogy: Its like a poor kid grows up hungry, and will achieve more in life than a rich kid who grows up spoiled.
the fact that humanity was kept in the dark for so long has made us insanely happy to finally have freedom so we strive for everything, no limits.
But imagine we had no reason to rebel.... we would just be happy with life like the amazonian tribes.

Its hard to explain what i think.... so you dont need to call my ideas outlandish.. if u cant hack it its fine.... its not a simple concept to grasp by any means, goes beyond illusory concept of 'good' or 'bad'.... so im not surprised that yet another one bites the dust (intellectually speaking ofcourse)...

I dunno how else to put it to ya.... putting my thoughts into words is hardly my greatest asset. So just trust me when i tell u, dont let anything affect your intellectual bias towards something, even religion, otherwise, you have already lost!

Emotion is the opposite of logic!

peace out

top topics

<< 1   >>

join