It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Sawfish have ‘virgin births’

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 1 2015 @ 05:43 PM
link   

Smalltooth sawfish are on the verge of extinction. But scientists have discovered that some of the fish — perhaps in an effort to survive — have resorted to "virgin births" in the wild.

It is a discovery that has the potential to prompt a rethinking of what we've long believed to be true about reproduction in vertebrates.

“What the DNA fingerprints told us was altogether more surprising; female sawfish are sometimes reproducing without even mating.”

It's called facultative parthenogenesis, a phenomenon that is thought to be rare in vertebrates but has generally been observed in species, such as the Komodo dragon and several shark species in captivity. Females are able to switch between sexual and asexual reproduction, often depending on the availability of a mate.

With parthenogenesis, an egg absorbs a genetically identical cell to create offspring about half as genetically diverse as the mother. These offspring often don't survive.

But the sawfish produced through parthenogenesis that were caught by researchers, then tagged and released, were found to be not just viable, but perfectly healthy.

continue at source

That is a huge finding that may change our understanding of biology, females just don't knock up themselves unless you are a lizard in the desert or something.

Bad news for males?

I wonder if many animals got this dormant ability, virgin human birth? nope never heard of it...

The link i took the name lied, this is not the first case, sharks are known to do it

edit on 1-6-2015 by Indigent because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 1 2015 @ 07:19 PM
link   
a reply to: Indigent

And to think I was stupid and got married.
Next life I'll know better.

posted on Jun, 1 2015 @ 07:49 PM
link   
Well, first thing that popped in my mind.

Jesus.

I mean that was a big point that was unexplainable except through fate, "virgin birth? How does that work?" Now, it looks like now there is an example in nature from scientists.

I am aware that Mary became pregnant through the holy ghost and I am in no way trying to diminish that for those who could be offended.

For all those who want to say it, the fish is not god incarnate or a prophet or the son of god.

posted on Jun, 1 2015 @ 07:51 PM
link   
a reply to: Dimithae

So in the next life you want to be a swordfish?

I rather be a lion.

edit on 1-6-2015 by bitsforbytes because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 1 2015 @ 08:15 PM
link   
Interesting story
reminds me of the line in Jurrasic park about nature finding a way. I know all clownfish are born boys but when needed one will turn into a girl.

posted on Jun, 1 2015 @ 09:42 PM
link   
a reply to: bitsforbytes

Nah,next life I want to go it alone. So I'll be a sword fish.
second line

posted on Jun, 1 2015 @ 10:55 PM
link   
a reply to: Indigent

I have actually heard many years ago that some human births, are from the egg just dividing and producing a clone of the mother . I'll have a check around the web.

Ok got it, www.zo.utexas.edu...

edit on 1-6-2015 by anonentity because: wrong thingy

posted on Jun, 1 2015 @ 11:14 PM
link   
Jesus Fish has a new definition.

posted on Jun, 1 2015 @ 11:58 PM
link   

originally posted by: Indigent

Bad news for males?

I wonder if many animals got this dormant ability, virgin human birth? nope never heard of it...

The link i took the name lied, this is not the first case, sharks are known to do it

Yes, bad news for males. I did extensive research on this....

Evolution is pushing us in this direction.

Our Mitochondria in our cells is like a ticking time bomb. It's like a dormant form of Wolbachia endosymbiont. Go look it up...

In the "worst" case scenario, it will cause women to stop giving birth to males, cause feminization of males lucky enough to be born in this "new age" and finally cause virgin births in humans.

At least the world will be a less violent, and less bloody place without masculine males (we'll have feminine males though but very very few). If anyone is praying for world peace, that's an answered prayer!
edit on 2-6-2015 by johndeere2020 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 2 2015 @ 12:16 AM
link   
aw man i didn't know they were going extinct i always like them :/

Like a wise man once said, "life finds a way"

posted on Jun, 2 2015 @ 02:56 AM
link   

originally posted by: IShotMyLastMuse

Men will not be entirely eradicated in my research.

Men will still be be born but due to a possible mutation of Mitochondria, it will skew the ratio to favor females.

And men born in this age will look and behave like women.

Like your favorite anime/manga where boys and girls look the same. It will be like that in the future.

No conspiracy here but 100% natural process. No more hairy men so to speak... boys will look like girls but they will be very few.

Evil bearded men can never outsmart nature, not even with science.

posted on Jun, 2 2015 @ 06:15 AM
link   

originally posted by: johndeere2020

originally posted by: IShotMyLastMuse

Men will not be entirely eradicated in my research.

Men will still be be born but due to a possible mutation of Mitochondria, it will skew the ratio to favor females.

And men born in this age will look and behave like women.

Like your favorite anime/manga where boys and girls look the same. It will be like that in the future.

No conspiracy here but 100% natural process. No more hairy men so to speak... boys will look like girls but they will be very few.

Evil bearded men can never outsmart nature, not even with science.

Sounds like a feminist's wet dream...

Sad but kinda amazing news about the sawfish, a prehistoric looking animal. I wonder if there would be a situation where an overabundance of males would lead to them somehow giving birth.....
edit on 2-6-2015 by Prezbo369 because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

join