It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Here we go again. More circumventing the 2nd by the Admin

page: 23
<< 20  21  22    24  25  26 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 2 2015 @ 09:21 AM
link   

originally posted by: ScientificRailgun
a reply to: butcherguy
Heck soon you'll be able to 3D Print a gun.

So there's that.

Thats a load of crap. Firearms receivers are "machined and parts "fitted" that have been forged and tempered in furnaces. Barrels and ammunition present another problem altogether.

"3D printers" won't be capable of these critical processes anytime soon.

posted on Jun, 2 2015 @ 09:24 AM
link   
a reply to: thefallenone

So, you state the 2nd needs to be changed, go so far as to point out that it can be changed......yet refuse to offer what it would be changed to and have yet to acknowledge the simple fact that a 2/3 vote for changing this Amendment would never happen.

WOW. I mean really..SO much WOW with you.

posted on Jun, 2 2015 @ 09:25 AM
link   
a reply to: intrptr

. Firearms receivers are "machined and parts "fitted" that have been forged and tempered in furnaces. 

Does your description work for an AKM receiver?

posted on Jun, 2 2015 @ 09:25 AM
link   

originally posted by: ScientificRailgun

Heck soon you'll be able to 3D Print a gun.

So there's that.

So let's think about which one a criminal is more likely to do...

A) Buy a 3D printer capable of "printing a gun." The technology for 3D metal printing has just arrived and a machine costs several hundred thousand dollars. Even if the technology becomes viable for mass production, which is highly unlikely, and the machines come WAY down in cost, which is highly unlikely, you're still going to pay a small fortune for one and you have to have the necessary space. Now, you also have to know how to do some CAD work so you can program the machine to make the gun. At the end of all this, you'll have the capability to make an entire gun after many hours of set-up and many hours of the machine printing each individual part for 1 gun.

B) Buy a gun from his buddy for a few hundred bucks.

The whole "3D printed guns" fear is utterly ridiculous to anybody with an inkling of a clue about the technology. Considering the "guns" that are coming out of current consumer quality 3D printers, you can make a more effective gun out of a piece of pipe, a nail, and a few springs.

Polymer receivers for some rifles are currently possible with 3D printers but there are already partially completed receivers for those rifles that require basic tools to complete and they can be purchased without any paperwork and *gasp!* they don't even have serial numbers. Still, the average criminal doesn't have the desire or capability to do that when they can easily buy one elsewhere.

99.99999% of the nonsense that you hear from the anti-gun side has no basis in reality and it's all fear-mongering. They harp on hypothetical situations and "what-ifs" that have never happened and likely never will. I'll say it again, when reality disagrees with their opinions, they manifest their own "reality" and base their argument on fantasy.
edit on 6/2/2015 by Answer because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 2 2015 @ 09:26 AM
link   

originally posted by: Sunwolf
As a former Smith,you should know better:How to make an AK out of a shovel.

www.northeastshooters.com...!?p=2695046&viewfull=1#post2695046

Could I do it?Yes.

That link is misleading."How to make an AK out of a shovel" (with a machine shop, including but not limited to a sheet metal brake, mill, lathe, measuring tools, "pre manufactured barrel kit" and at least journey man machinist skills).

You could do it, show me. And the ammo you made from dirt in your garden.

posted on Jun, 2 2015 @ 09:26 AM
link   
a reply to: macman

If you're trying to make a point, don't use photoshopped images of Obama in your argument. It makes you look biased and trite.

Here's the real image.

In fact, he's got a decent stance and form. Not a pro shooter by any means, but my point stands.

As society evolves, so must our laws. That is why the amendment process exists. I understand you're unhappy about the proposed regulations. There's a LOT in the proposal I'd like to see thrown out, specifically the limitations on the TYPES of firearms and ammo. I think it's reasonable though, to have a national discussion on how we can prevent guns from getting into the hands of people who would use them for evil.

posted on Jun, 2 2015 @ 09:27 AM
link   

originally posted by: butcherguy

. Firearms receivers are "machined and parts "fitted" that have been forged and tempered in furnaces. 

Have you ever built an AK?

A lot of people think it can be done by any 10 year old with a hammer. Don't let the rumors fool you.

To build a functional, reliable AK is no easy task. There are plenty of dead insurgents with cobbled-together rifles who can attest to that fact.

posted on Jun, 2 2015 @ 09:29 AM
link   
a reply to: Answer

Answer the question... 'answer'.
Does his description fit for an AKM?

posted on Jun, 2 2015 @ 09:30 AM
link   

No, that begins as a piece of sheet metal, pattern cut and formed by sheet metal brake into a "rail". Before layout for internal parts.

posted on Jun, 2 2015 @ 09:31 AM
link   
a reply to: ScientificRailgun

Actually, the other Obama picture is more realistic !!

posted on Jun, 2 2015 @ 09:32 AM
link   

Correct.
Not all firearms receivers are machined.

posted on Jun, 2 2015 @ 09:32 AM
link   
a reply to: dismanrc

Thanks for adding to the discussion, but you are preaching to the choir, as I already know the differences. My question was to how they would define "assault rifle" in the language.

a reply to: macman

Says the person wanting restriction of our 2nd Amendment Rights.
What's funny, is that every single Anti-2nd person goes on and on with that same spiel. "I'm a gun owner just like you",

Really? I have had quite a few debates with gun-grabbers and I have never heard one say "i'm a gun owner just like you". You wouldn't be making things up for the sake of debate, would you?

. "I am all for gun rights and respecting the 2nd, but we really need to restrict people from certain guns, ammo, magazines, body armor........"

I never said anything of the sort. All I have said is that I am open to reviewing what is put forth and if any of it seems to be rooted in common sense, and DOES NOT attempt to take firearms away from people, I would consider it.

Perhaps you have reading comprehension issues, and it is well beyond me to belittle you for that, but I would appreciate that you put things in proper context and actually look at what I've said before you accuse me of holding a position that I do not.

It is responses like this that remind why I no longer support or endorse the NRA. Too many people have politicized this issue so much that their reaction to anyone, including gun owners that are willing to engage the anti-2nd crowd with a bit of respect and civility to educate and explain our rights, is to make false claim and take things to a dramatic level.

You try to simply have a conversation about this and all of the sudden we are accused of trying to grab guns and restrict rights.

Please......bunch of drama queens that give the pro-2nd crowd a bad name.

posted on Jun, 2 2015 @ 09:34 AM
link   

a reply to: Answer

Answer the question... 'answer'.
Does his description fit for an AKM?

Yes, it does.

AK receivers are heat treated stamped steel that is bent to exacting tolerances and welded together OR they're milled on a CNC machine.

The parts and barrel are then assembled and fitted by the builder. Everything must be assembled properly with the precise clearances in order for the firearm to function.

Any more questions you need answered by me instead of googling for yourself?

posted on Jun, 2 2015 @ 09:37 AM
link   

originally posted by: xuenchen

Actually, the other Obama picture is more realistic !!

Thank you for showing just how out of touch from reality the far right is, if you believe a photoshopped picture is more realistic than the actual picture, what other lies have you swallowed and digested as truth?

posted on Jun, 2 2015 @ 09:37 AM
link   

Correct.

The trunnion is equally as vital as the receiver and it's either machined or cast.

Apparently, you're trying to be cute and semantical but it's coming across as foolish.

posted on Jun, 2 2015 @ 09:41 AM
link   

originally posted by: Answer

Correct.

The trunnion is equally as vital as the receiver and it's either machined or cast.

Apparently, you're trying to be cute and semantical but it's coming across as foolish.

Are you a 'gunsmith' too?
I'm not trying to be cute. I am anything but cute.
You are well aware of the main differences between an AK and an AKM.

posted on Jun, 2 2015 @ 09:46 AM
link   

It's already here. Research the Texas company that printed a 1911.

posted on Jun, 2 2015 @ 09:48 AM
link   

At the beginning of this exchange, I stated that guns could be built in a home workshop.

Tilt…

Not to mention that guns are very easy to produce in home workshops.

Thats the statement I disagreed with.

I still do.

posted on Jun, 2 2015 @ 09:49 AM
link   

originally posted by: Answer

Correct.

Are you a 'gunsmith' too?
I'm not trying to be cute. I am anything but cute.
You are well aware of the main differences between an AK and an AKM.

I'm a licensed firearm manufacturer, gunsmith, builder, dealer, designer, instructor, etc. etc. etc.

You are trying to be cute and you're being contrary for no reason.

So, let's say that you can manufacture an AKM receiver in your garage. Good for you... a part that doesn't need machining.

Now, how do you plan to manufacture the barrel, trunnion, trigger assembly, bolt carrier, gas block, sights, op rod, springs, magazine, etc. etc. etc. etc. with your garage tools?

This is why your argument is silly. The fact that ONE part of the firearm can be produced with basic tools is irrelevant. This is like saying that if you can make an engine mount in your garage with a welder, you can manufacture an entire car with the same tool.

posted on Jun, 2 2015 @ 09:50 AM
link   

originally posted by: macman

It's already here. Research the Texas company that printed a 1911.
Yeah I saw that one. It was pretty neat. Not sure about it's reliability, but it's a step forward, at least!

new topics

top topics

<< 20  21  22    24  25  26 >>

join