It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Can't Afford a One Bedroom On Minimum Wage - Anywhere in America

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 1 2015 @ 07:12 AM
link   
a reply to: Indigent

May be sat down sometimes at work but I support people who need 100% of my time.
I can post sometimes on ats on my breaks.
Does it need 10 years training? Iam always training.

posted on Jun, 1 2015 @ 07:13 AM
link   
a reply to: johnwick

Look, you guys even on the dole get £60/week, maybe more - To hear you lot sprouting rubbish about being poor - makes me sick.

If you feel sorry for yourself sort it out.

The thread is a disgrace.

I agree John, kick out the illegals, close the borders and keep benefits only for those who live here - but that's a distraction.

It's not about education you're right... it's about attitude and so far it stinks.

posted on Jun, 1 2015 @ 07:13 AM
link   
a reply to: Indigent

No....

You earn poorly because there is an extreme glut of labor.

Every illegal that comes over the border is more money lost to an american worker.

In a stable economy the pay would reflect the need to find good workers.

When there is a vast pool of cheap labor pay rates fall.

It is supply and demand.

Add a few million cheap workers to any economy and this will be the result.

Why do you think no other country on earth will allow the same scenario to play out.

Because economic ruin for the middle and lower classes is the only result that one should expect from this practice.

posted on Jun, 1 2015 @ 07:14 AM
link   
a reply to: MOMof3

Yeah whatever... you show me someone who was born into AIDS and no water, who can't walk and tell me they chose it.

In the modern world where jobs and money is fairly easy to get - then we can choose what path we take. Those poor f****rs can't.

posted on Jun, 1 2015 @ 07:15 AM
link   

Its the illegals fault, the dog eat my homework... is it sometime, anytime your own life, your own choices, your fault?

posted on Jun, 1 2015 @ 07:21 AM
link   
a reply to: and14263

Education didn't help the dozen or so support workers at mine who hold degrees and they can't get work in their field. Trained psychologists and social workers having to work as support workers.
Plus because they hold adegree they have to fund their own training. 3k each to get the mandatory training all support staff must get.

posted on Jun, 1 2015 @ 07:22 AM
link   
a reply to: boymonkey74

When did I mention education?

posted on Jun, 1 2015 @ 07:23 AM
link   

originally posted by: and14263

Look, you guys even on the dole get £60/week, maybe more - To hear you lot sprouting rubbish about being poor - makes me sick.

I agree John, kick out the illegals, close the borders and keep benefits only for those who live here - but that's a distraction.

It's not about education you're right... it's about attitude and so far it stinks.

And your attitude is short sighted and narrow.

Born into the 10% raised as a 5% and now a 1% i have never had to worry about a roof over my head or were my next meal was comeing from.

Im bloody lucky and know it.

But im not a fool.

Things are getting harder and harder for my friends.
Prices are rising, wages are dropping.

UK or USA aint Africa. We are not used to living in poverty. If things drop to low expect a shtf situation.

And us at the top will be the first into the guillotine even if we have gained our money honestly.

edit on 1-6-2015 by crazyewok because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 1 2015 @ 07:28 AM
link   

Negative! At least illegals work. I've worked in retail for ten years, EVERY 1st of the month the store fills up with scumbags that purchase food that MY tax money supports, every one of these scum bags are rude, have their kids out past midnight, usually fat them and their kids, AND EVERY ONE OF THEM HAVE A NICER CAR THAN I DO AND I HAVE A JOB! They don't get drug-tested to receive MY money, but I get drug-tested to work, and they don't even attempt to find a job. I've seen this for ten years!! The same people time and time again. And they'll wait, these fat-slobs will fill up their carts with nothing but junk, while their kids are running around screaming, and they wait until midnight when their EBT cards fill up to check out. Sterilize them, THEY ARE THE BIGGEST DRAIN ON THE ECONOMY!
I have no problem with people that actually need help, none at all. But ten out of eleven of these people are working the system.

And guess what? EVERY ONE OF THEM ARE PURE AMERICANS! Kentucky couldn't produce a better breed! "Illegals," or "Mexicans," are actually nice, considerate people. Good luck finding those qualities in the average American. Good #ing luck, Jack!
edit on 1-6-2015 by Flesh699 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 1 2015 @ 07:29 AM
link   
a reply to: crazyewok

Maybe so - maybe the future holds bad things -

But it's the moaners and shoe stampers who will suffer.

I've been at the bottom. I then got a job and each day after that I applied for more jobs, then I got another, and each day after that I applied for higher paid jobs. Christ I even worked for free for a month in the hope I'd get taken on.

These guys aren't doing that. They're happy to be distracted by the internet and feel sorry for themselves.

link   

Lend me a few quid then :-D
I have four quid to last me two weeks lol.
Nevermind quickquid it has to be at 1500% apr :-(

link   
a reply to: Flesh699
SOrry I didn't read your post correctly!
edit on 1-6-2015 by and14263 because: (no reason given)

Delete.

posted on Jun, 1 2015 @ 07:32 AM
link   

But it's the moaners and shoe stampers who will suffer.

If history show one thing the "moaners and shoe stampers " if they get pissed and fed up enough can take that suffering nationwide.

In the French and Russian revolutions it certainly wasn’t only the "moaners and shoe stampers " that suffered.

These guys aren't doing that. They're happy to be distracted by the internet and feel sorry for themselves.

And dismissing them is a mistake us more fortunate have done throughout history.

Remember 1% means being outnumbered 100 to 1.
The only thing standing between them and us is a police force that willing protects us and access they have to some sort of decent life.

posted on Jun, 1 2015 @ 07:34 AM
link   

originally posted by: boymonkey74

Lend me a few quid then :-D
I have four quid to last me two weeks lol.
Nevermind quickquid it has to be at 1500% apr :-(

lol I should say barely in 1%. Ones I pay my taxes (which I do in full) and pay for my massive south east rent I am not exactly living a glamorous life. Pretty middle class really, just with some extra savings.

posted on Jun, 1 2015 @ 07:38 AM
link   
Yikes. I honestly would have no problem working a bottom tier job if it paid my bills. But working a job where you are treated terribly and considered to be sub-human by customers, while not getting paid enough to afford to live properly is too much.

"just get a second job" they say

Yes, that is a work around. It's also a pointless life that isn't worth living.

posted on Jun, 1 2015 @ 07:39 AM
link   
a reply to: tothetenthpower

I see it this way, America politics support the wealthy earners at all cost over the labor of the poor, it has been like that for ever, is just that before it was some leverage of how the poor could afford to live in America, now that the income inequality gab has grown incredible and the welfare state also, we see how divided our nation is.

No politician is going to address this issue because our political crap is also part of the problem and why should they addressed when they are also within the riches in the nation.

Their business is to keep their wealthy donors and backers happy and their pockets full.

posted on Jun, 1 2015 @ 07:42 AM
link   

Any comparison with nations outside the western developed world are irrelevant.

Poverty is relative to the circumstances experienced by ones countrymen, not by comparison with residents of other nations. The working people in this country have been stiffed to varying degrees since before the industrial revolution, and my grandparents generation battled to even the playing feild, something they were making good headway with for a time, previous to the 1980's.

The fact is, that there is a difference between difficult work, and hard work. Hard work is a slog, and requires a great deal of physical effort to continue to do, and so whether your work is taxing on the mind, or taxing on the body makes no difference to the fact that one has earned the right to function ones existence, as long as effort has been put in.. So yes, a burger flipper is worth a living wage, and a shelf stacker, and a street sweeper, and a coffee shop worker.

Work is work. People must be paid, and there must be no ideologically driven nonsense put between people who work hard, and a pay packet that supports their ability to free themselves from the threat of homelessness, a lack of heat and light, and so on. People are not starving and having to use food banks because they have failed to budget correctly, they are starving and using food banks because this country, and indeed other locations in the developed world, have currently got the balance of worth wrong in their economy.

I know people who do thirteen hour days, work two jobs, and still have nothing, because of the sheer cost of living, relative to the available pay packets they can actually access. That should NEVER be the case.
edit on 1-6-2015 by TrueBrit because: grammatical improvements.

posted on Jun, 1 2015 @ 07:46 AM
link   

originally posted by: TrueBrit

Any comparison with nations outside the western developed world are irrelevant.

Sorry TB you're wrong.

If I hear or read someone moaning about being poor.... Yet they are in a developed country with minimal disease, access to food banks and benefits - I'm going to show them how bad their life could be.

If you can't survive on the dole then you are clearly smoking, eating or yearning for products too much. Yes it's not a life of luxury but it's better than having worms and dying of starvation - or watching your kids die.

This thread sums up the current position of the UK populace right now. Disgruntled and looking for something to blame it on. Nothing will change - you reckon your grandad would have moaned about this stuff? No... he'd have been up at 5am at the docks looking for some work/money.

posted on Jun, 1 2015 @ 07:52 AM
link   

Yes, he was doing those things. He ended up at the Ford Dagenham motor plant, where he became a shop steward. He was also a campaigner for workers rights, in an age where people were working thirteen hour days and calling it a light shift, and were still unable to feed their families without near enough killing themselves doing it.

If you think that is not still happening, then you obviously do not know diddly squat about living hard actually means in this day and age. Those who are not affected by the problems this society have regarding pay and working conditions, something you obviously have not been in contact with for some time, have no business thinking that their input has any worth. When there is something going on, you look to the people in the middle of it to describe the best solution, not those sitting on the fringes shaking their heads.

posted on Jun, 1 2015 @ 07:57 AM
link   
a reply to: TrueBrit

Here's what happens:

I'm poor, I got made redundant. I was offerred a homeless shelter.

I spent a long time applying for jobs - not moaning about my situation - but developing my CV, applyng over and over... Not sitting around smoking and posting on the internet.

I made myself available at the drop of a hat.

I made sure I was well spoken, polite, well mannered, well dressed, willing to help....

I got a job. I then worked as hard as I could and worked out how to progress. All the time applying, applying, applying (for other jobs). Not sitting, moaning and posting.

In the last 15 years I've had probably 15 jobs, stints on the dole and stints self employed - always trying, always looking for the £ - never moaning because there are jobs out there.

Job site

Click the link above and search for jobs above £25k within 25miles of your town - there'll be thousands. Now all the searcher has to do is put some effort in.

Nobody said it was going to be easy - but even then it's not that hard.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join