It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Help ATS via PayPal:
learn more

Boulder cops declare ‘rock stacking’ a jailable offense. Gravity Glue artist a criminal?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

posted on Jun, 1 2015 @ 04:32 AM
In a follow up to a thread on the amazing work of Gravity Glue, I come across this travesty.

Michael Grab, a Boulder artist who goes by the name Gravity Glue, said that police threatened to ticket or jail him for creating stacked river rock sculptures that the community has been enjoying for years.

In a Monday Facebook post, Grab explained that a Boulder police officer had informed him that there would be stiff penalties for continuing his art.

Now haven't the police got something better to do, like arrest real criminals?

It seems that the city attorney may have had some strong opinions about this as well.

In the end, the call to action worked. Grab said that the city attorney personally called to let him know that rock stacking was not illegal in Boulder.

“UPDATE: holy sh#! maybe the support was more than i anticipated!!” he exclaimed. “[J]ust got a call from the city attorney personally here in Boulder telling me that he has ordered the police to NOT cite rock balancing under the city codes [I] mentioned below!!!”

The mind boggles at such bureaucratic small mindedness on the part of the police.

edit on 1-6-2015 by cuckooold because: (no reason given)

(post by paperdocto1 removed for a serious terms and conditions violation)

posted on Jun, 1 2015 @ 04:42 AM
a reply to: cuckooold

Stupid Police filth!

I could see the point if the fellow in question was damming the river. But a few rocks!!!

If this is a crime then so is being a Police officer.

edit on 1-6-2015 by andy06shake because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 1 2015 @ 04:45 AM
That's a pretty cool video, can kind of see how it works and perhaps try it one day myself...

Not sure what else to add aside from recognizing the coolness of it, trying to keep negative thoughts out of my head and "law" and "cops" are dirty words most often in current form and ways used. I'll spare all the profanity lol although i'm sure others will be glad to explain why this sucks from their pov lol.

posted on Jun, 1 2015 @ 04:46 AM
couldn't even post that before Andy got to task on it lol...

hot damn

posted on Jun, 1 2015 @ 05:05 AM

I wonder if this is a result of bored cops since cannabis is legal there?

Are we going to see an uptick of insane laws being enforced once cannabis is totally legal nationwide?

Like a 2000 percent increase of Jay walking tickets to offset the drop in income........err I mean asset seizure.

posted on Jun, 1 2015 @ 05:10 AM
a reply to: IslandOfMisfitToys

Well the officer in question obviously does not partake regarding said herb, else i imagine just like most decent human beings he would have appreciated the artistic temperament displayed by the act as opposed to the overtly totalitarian mentality he choose to show towards the poor fellow for producing something of beauty.
edit on 1-6-2015 by andy06shake because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 1 2015 @ 05:13 AM
a reply to: andy06shake

Got no argument from me there.

Just remember that it takes a special type of person to even want to be a police officer to begin with. If you know what I mean......

posted on Jun, 1 2015 @ 06:32 AM
This issue has swiftly been dealt with. The town was on his side and really, the mayor thought it was kind of stupid too.
They called him and apologized haha.

posted on Jun, 1 2015 @ 06:40 AM
The fun police have officially arrived....

posted on Jun, 1 2015 @ 06:41 AM

Some people's "art" is viewed by another person as a criminal act. It is a form of graffiti, you could say. As I pointed out in the last thread, if he didn't own the rocks/stream then he was using property that didn't belong to him even if that property was state/federal property. His rights were not being violated by threats of arrest, he was violating the rights of others.

Colorado, as does most other states, has strict laws, also, on interfering with the course of water ways.

Anyway, his "art" was not genuine, as presented here on ATS, it was "trick" art, a deception.

posted on Jun, 1 2015 @ 06:48 AM

It is called FASCISM

posted on Jun, 1 2015 @ 06:53 AM

Thank you for posting up the update in the OP, although most seems to have missed it.

A cop, one single person, said he could be penalised by the city for what he's doing, but common sense prevailed quite quickly.

But no, this is fascism, all cops are filth.

Get over yourselves.

Shame common sense doesn't kick in here quicker, and more often.

edit on 1/6/15 by Chadwickus because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 1 2015 @ 06:55 AM
a reply to: BentBone

You're kidding yourself if you think this is fascism.

That comment is on par with empty minded comments of the cop mentioned in the OP

posted on Jun, 1 2015 @ 07:15 AM

I'm glad that this got straighten out quickly. But I can see where this kind of thing could be a problem if someone was leaving unsteady rock sculptures where they could fall on kids playing or cars on a roadway.....

Otherwise, carry on Gravity Glue!

posted on Jun, 1 2015 @ 07:15 AM
Considering all the military exercises on at the moment and the growing suspicion of a civil uprising you have to consider the reasons against stacking stones
operational experience from recent conflicts has been absorbed by the emergency services
stone stacking is a common combat indicator of potential IED'S (AN AIMING MARKER FOR THE TRIGGER GUY)
just the presence of stacked stones is enough to stop a patrol due to the "presence of the abnormal equals an absence of the normal" and as such forces the target to stop and employ counter ied drills
this is very time consuming and can be used to slow down the target by simply putting enough combat indicators out as decoys

edit on 1-6-2015 by AlphaPred because: oi nosey

posted on Jun, 1 2015 @ 07:19 AM
a reply to: Chadwickus

In a way I like you. In a perverse way.

In the future.
As I am held down by cops and electrocuted because I parked in "disabled" parking stop by mistake.

You will bend down to my level and whisper

This is not fascism, this is electricity.

edit on 1-6-2015 by BentBone because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 1 2015 @ 07:23 AM
well, stacking rocks does break the law gravity
what goes up is supposed to come down
down as in the trending down of hiring requirements for police regarding IQ

as buggs bunny said when he stood suspended in the air while the mountain collapsed behind him:
"the law of gravity?...huh!... well, I never studied law!"

re piles of rocks
we have them all over around here they are called cairns and they mark water routes and trails
i forgot that the us now has to worry about returning vereran white alciaduh "making IEDs
and how they "learned some tricks from charlie don't cha know " to quote the song copper head road
edit on Monam6b20156America/Chicago49 by Danbones because: (no reason given)

(post by Chadwickus removed for a manners violation)

posted on Jun, 1 2015 @ 07:34 AM
Nothing worse than an a**hole with a badge. A**hole first; cop second.
edit on 1-6-2015 by Kromlech because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>