It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Hey Vapers a warning I recently got about the iStick 50 W

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 1 2015 @ 01:38 AM
link   
Before I start I just want to say that I have no idea how true the rumors are, just that they're there and I figured I would share. Better to be safe with this kind of thing.

I recently purchased an Eleaf iStick 50W for it's size. I showed up at my usual vape shop and the owner told me to either return it or bin it. They have apparently been turning themselves into little bombs.

They have allegedly been turning themselves on, and/or firing by themselves (even without an atomizer attached in some cases) and apparently will fire longer than the 10 second cutoff. So they can catch on fire or cause a battery vent (again allegedly), which is a big uh oh.

You shouldn't ever charge overnight or when you're away from the device anyway, but if you have one of these be extremely cautious.

Here's a video.

Again, perhaps all of these stories were caused by user error, but I'm starting to really doubt it. I doubted it even less after I had researched and returned the device and there were no questions from the shop (that I'm now somewhat pissed off at). My regular guy won't carry them in his shop after having something like 1/2 the ones he sold returned with issues.

I've seen the problem attributed to bad chargers, juice seeping in near the fire button and a host of others. Not sure I'm buying that.

Now again, I'm just reporting what I've seen posted by other people and in no way can verify that they aren't all just idiots hopping on a bandwagon. There seem to be no issues with any of the other iStick line (or Eleaf products), just the 50 W. It really could be fine, but after a few minutes searching on various forums I was personally not willing to risk it. The only other experience I have with the company is using the LEMO2 tank, and it's been freaking awesome.

I'm actually a little bumbed because other than a slight delay (barely noticed) when I was firing the thing seemed like a great deal. The battery lasted a long time, the display and ergonomics were nice (awesome in the pocket) and it was nice to have something small and cheap that could fire the Herakles and was smaller than my IPV 4. I'm hoping either the problem gets sorted on the manufacturing end, or the company can show that people were being dumbasses and the thing is fine.

Stay safe!

posted on Jun, 1 2015 @ 04:32 AM
link   
Thanks for sharing this information. Doesn't look like I'll be ditching my MVP 20 anytime soon. I'll even wait to see how the new Kanger boxes hold up before getting one.

posted on Jun, 1 2015 @ 04:42 AM
link   
a reply to: Domo1

Planning on getting the Eleaf iStick 30w so hopefully they're not effected.
Thanks for the heads up.

posted on Jun, 1 2015 @ 06:22 AM
link   
Or even better, just stop smoking vapes. Uve clearly given up cigarettes so stop the habit. Smoking poison for the sake of smoking poison is just silly.

posted on Jun, 1 2015 @ 06:23 AM
link   
Well that is horrible. Hopefully they dont cause to many injuries. I could just see the thing turning on in someones pocket.

I run a mechanical mod that takes a sony 18650 battery. I control my wattage by the ohms of the coil.

P=V2XR In my case a 4.2 volt battery running a .2 ohm coil gives me 88 watts.
edit on 6/1/2015 by shaneslaughta because: X

posted on Jun, 1 2015 @ 06:36 AM
link   

Damn! I was looking at buying one here soon, too. Been vaping for a few months and I was going to upgrade to a box mod. Thanks for the warning.

posted on Jun, 1 2015 @ 06:37 AM
link   
I've been creeping reddit for months now and about a month ago there was just pages upon pages of istick 50w problems. Autofiring, No firing, In some cases a couple even vented and did some damage. A retailer here in canada decided to pull them as well, after having to deal with one that did in fact blow and do damage. allegedly.

I would use it until it starts acting up in some way. If it autofires even once call it a day and recycle that piece of shmiz.

I have a smok m80 pro and have been loving it so far. Same for me though, there has been one alleged battery venting on an m80. But once again if it starts acting up its best to get it replaced. Just like any electronic, there's a risk of issues when it comes to LiPo batteries

posted on Jun, 1 2015 @ 06:41 AM
link   
a reply to: rossacus

Or even better, just stop smoking vapes.

There is no smoke in vaping so no one smokes vapes.

Smoking poison for the sake of smoking poison is just silly.

Caffeine is the most popular drug on earth. It is cheap, legal, effective, ubiquitous (it’s everywhere), and socially acceptable. This is why it is the most popular drug of all. In 1989 the FDA limited each serving of food or drink to 200 mg. 120 mg will jangle the nerves of a full grown 180 pound man. This doesn’t stop people from often ingesting 1,000 mg or more in a day. Ten grams (10,000 mg) is deadly. The real problem is that caffeine is so highly addictive.

Nearly a silly as drinking poison for the sake of drinking poison.
Caffine is Poison

edit on 1-6-2015 by gortex because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 1 2015 @ 07:45 AM
link   
a reply to: gortex

All of this. Would sugar also be considered a poison at this point? Seeing as how it's the leading cause of obesity and therefore disease.

Nicotine is being considered as a drug for various mental health issues. A non-smoker would never understand nicotine addiction as it is in cigarettes. Pure nicotine doesn't have the same effect as tobacco does, its far less addicting.

posted on Jun, 1 2015 @ 07:50 AM
link   
I have this exact e-leaf IStick battery for my vapor, although I dont Vape anymore I never had a problem besides the fact that sometimes if I put this in my pocket. The way the buttons are setup on the side, makes it very easy for a button to be accidentally pushed on while not even knowing it. Any kind of Lithuim battery can become very hot and become a fire bomb if not used correctly or some manufacturing problems occurs. Just stop smoking. It helped me quit

posted on Jun, 1 2015 @ 01:42 PM
link   

I've had the 50 since it came out with no worries. I even charge it overnight. I use the Atlantis tank.

Maybe I got a good one?

Thanks for the heads up tho, I'll keep an eye out for issues now. You never know.

posted on Jun, 1 2015 @ 03:45 PM
link   
subpar quality

mainly the lipos there overtaxing the bats and relying on a cheap chip insted of a 5c fuse

iv built mods out of several vv/vw boards one thing they all did was short out eventual

lucky i built all my mods with high drain imr cells

posted on Jun, 1 2015 @ 05:05 PM
link   
a reply to: stormson

Maybe I got a good one?

Probably. The things are insanely popular so they're spitting them out fast. My guess is this lead to quality control issues.

How are you liking the Atlantis? I really like mine for out and about. I switched to the Herakles for the most part but I still use my Atlantis tanks.

posted on Jun, 1 2015 @ 11:56 PM
link   

I had an ego battery and when my pionee4you ipv2s battery died and was charging, i hooked my sub ohm tank to my ego battery, small one like you could find at a gas station, and it shorted and stayed on and got very hot so i threw it out the back door into the snow. not sure if this is related, but you can short out an ecig if used inproperly, but since these eleafs are cheap and higher power, i wouldnt be surprised if there is just something wrong with it's design.

posted on Jun, 1 2015 @ 11:59 PM
link   

I use a Pioneer4you ipv2s, with Samsung batteries, and NiteCore USB charger to charge them. I have an Atlantis tank, and a Kangertech Subtank Mini, and both are great tanks! Atlantis is very reliable, Kangertech seems to hit harder, and IDK if it is something with the tank, or just that it gives the liquid a different flavor, but it also goes through coils quicker. So I use the RBA in the Kanger now. Think they may be the best 2 on the market. BTW the IPV2s is great, very powerful, and durable.

posted on Jun, 6 2015 @ 11:36 PM
link   
a reply to: SixX18

You should try the Herakles. I freaking love mine. It goes through juice like crazy but it's a great vape.

posted on Jun, 8 2015 @ 03:45 AM
link   

posted on Jun, 8 2015 @ 11:29 AM
link   
I've had two of the iStick 50W's since they very first came out and have had zero problems with either one. I am running Atlantis tanks on both.

If your atty leaks at all, it will cause problems. There has also been an issue with the rubber gasket surrounding the fire button being linked to some of this trouble.

Mine have performed flawlessly and I wouldn't hesitate to buy another one. Others haven't been so successful.

posted on Jun, 8 2015 @ 04:17 PM
link   
Good warning, this has been an ongoing problem with the Istick 50s for awhile now. What upsets me is instead of retailers pulling them from the shelves, most are just deeply discounting them and not mentioning anything about the potential hazzard. Getting one for $30 is definitely a good deal, not if it catches your house on fire though.

Obviously not all of them will have this issue, not even most of them, but there are tons of people having this issue with the I50. The 20 and 30 watt models don't seem to have the same issue.

The Cloupour 30W minis when they first came out started having issues with some of the devices actually catching on fire, cloupour figured out which production run was the issue, corrected it, and told customers how to test their product to make sure it was safe. Offering free and easy replacements would have been better, but still Cloupour showed a lot more integrity than the makers of the Isticks with the whole i50 debacle.

A few Smok M80s are also having issues with catching on fire or just locking up and turning itself into a paperweight.

Personally I stick with mods that use Yihi chips, they are generally pretty bulletproof.

posted on Jun, 9 2015 @ 10:52 AM
link   

Thanks for this. I almost bought one. I went in for a battery and the store owner was pushing the istick really hard. I decided to wait and see reviews.

<<   2 >>

join