It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

A tediously accurate scale model of the Solar System

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 1 2015 @ 12:10 AM
link   
This is an amazing representation of just how insignificant yet incredibly fortunate we are!

There are arrows on the top of the map I'd recommend using, as well as a "Light Minutes" self scrolling button on the bottom right. This is definitely worth checking out if you have a few minutes.

joshworth.com...

posted on Jun, 1 2015 @ 12:16 AM
link   
a reply to: Illumin

Small =/= insignificant

But it is a nice visual aid to assist in an understanding of scale. Have you seen this one?
keithcom.com...

posted on Jun, 1 2015 @ 12:21 AM
link   
a reply to: Phage

I have not, thanks for the link!

posted on Jun, 1 2015 @ 12:23 AM
link   

That was cool. One of the things on my bucket list is the Sagan planet walk .

The Sagan Planet Walk is a walkable scale model of the solar system, located in Ithaca, New York. The model scales the entire solar system—both planet size and distances between them—down to one five billionth of its actual size. Consisting of 11 obelisks situated along a 1.18 km (0.73 mi) path through the streets of downtown Ithaca, the Planet Walk leads from the sun at Center Ithaca to Pluto at the Ithaca Sciencenter.

Wiki source

posted on Jun, 1 2015 @ 12:23 AM
link   

Did you find the electron yet?

posted on Jun, 1 2015 @ 12:27 AM
link   

Hahah
He'd probably have better luck going that'a'way. And by that I mean scrolling left. (they don't like arrows on here)

I'm sure if I wasn't mobile there'd be more of a chance. As it stands right now its seems (------>> n^)

I'll let you know tomorrow...
edit on 1-6-2015 by Inarismessenger because: no show

posted on Jun, 1 2015 @ 12:29 AM
link   

Haha, I did not! I honestly tried to find something else but didn't put it to the test. Is it an easy find or are you sending me on a wild goose chase?

posted on Jun, 1 2015 @ 12:30 AM
link   

My computer isn't that big I guess

posted on Jun, 1 2015 @ 12:31 AM
link   
I don't know, I couldn't find it either.
Blame Heisenberg.

posted on Jun, 1 2015 @ 12:36 AM
link   
a reply to: Greathouse

That would be a fun walk! Looks like it's under construction so I would hold off on your trip...

"As of summer 2014, the sun and four inner planets have been removed from the planet walk as part of extensive construction being done to Ithaca Commons, leaving the Asteroid Belt as the innermost remaining obelisk."

www.ask.com...

posted on Jun, 1 2015 @ 12:45 AM
link   

Fortunately I'm not that close to death .

Someone told me once that there's even a larger scale model. If I remember right they said Pluto is in Hawaii .

You still out there Phage have you heard of it ?

posted on Jun, 1 2015 @ 12:58 AM
link   
At the very far reaches of our solar system...
Beyond Pluto; it reads: "Follow me on Twitter"

How cliche... lol.

S&F, OP.

edit on 1-6-2015 by iunlimited491 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 1 2015 @ 07:51 AM
link   

originally posted by: Phage

Did you find the electron yet?

I found its most likely, general location

posted on Jun, 1 2015 @ 08:07 AM
link   
best thread all day

as the fruit fly said to the other fruit fly
don't eat it all at once its a long way to the next peach
where ever it might be

posted on Jun, 1 2015 @ 10:46 AM
link   
Another mindblowing thing is that all those planets could fit end-to-end in-between the Earth and the Moon.

posted on Jun, 1 2015 @ 10:48 AM
link   

originally posted by: wildespace
Another mindblowing thing is that all those planets could fit end-to-end in-between the Earth and the Moon.

You just taught me something new. That is absolutely astounding. I am beside myself with excitement for the Pluto encounter this july.

By the way, your avatar just makes me sad because if reminds me of the ISON debacle last year...the bitter dissapointment.
edit on 1-6-2015 by 3danimator2014 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 1 2015 @ 11:16 AM
link   
a reply to: wildespace

Great point wildespace! I didn't know that either. I wonder how many of those planets moons could fit in that gap between earth and the moon as well.

posted on Jun, 1 2015 @ 03:42 PM
link   
Thanks for that link. That really put things in a new perspective. Amazing to see how far out Jupiters moon are from Jupiter as well as the distance from Earth to these planets distance. It's amazing to thin that Jupiter and Saturn can "perturb" Earth's orbit a bit, even though they are hundreds of millions of miles away (fortunately, it always cancels in the long run).

posted on Jun, 1 2015 @ 04:16 PM
link   
Here is another star size comparison Youtube link, 11M+ hits since 2009. Worth the 2.33 Min watch..

www.youtube.com...

posted on Jun, 1 2015 @ 04:22 PM
link   

Lots of one liners in the "empty space". Don't like em. Here's an example:

You look at one tiny dot, then you look for the next tiny dot. Everything in between is inconsequential and fairly boring.

Source: joshworth.com - If the Moon Were Only 1 Pixel - A tediously accurate map of the solar system...

I disagree wholeheartedly. However, those who might find empty space interesting are a lot smarter than most of us. Kind of like watching grass grow; who cares? Most of us aren't interested. However, some people who research grass or sell it might be interested.

The statement reminds me of people who say science didn't exist until the scientific method. While that's true with respect to modern science, it's not true with respect to the desire to understand the world around us. People have probably always pondered what things mean and how they work. If they didn't, we probably never would have learned to make a fire or plant a field of crop. It's a disservice to all the fine minds of history to not include them in the ranks of those who explored and tried to discover the how of things.

You know what else? Most of the atom is empty, like 99.9999999999999% empty. So when you see another person, they're mostly empty space. And yet despite that our material universe is very important to us.

Moreso even the space between planets isn't truly empty because there're particles even in the vacuum. And even in the empiest of empty there's a quantum cauldron of things existing and then non-existing. And when we gaze at the stars at night we see a lot of black, but in fact our telescopes have shown is the night sky is lit up like a carnival. The "empty" space is filled with cosmic rays and particles and dark matter/energy.
edit on 1-6-2015 by jonnywhite because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

join