It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

SCI/TECH: Something is cleaning the Mars Rover

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 23 2004 @ 04:47 PM
link   
Just when you thought it couldn�t get any weirder: earlier this year, NASA scientists were baffled when the Mars Rover had a sudden boost in energy. Now scientists are once again puzzled when they discovered that the solar panels on one of the Mars rovers, Opportunity, are somehow cleaner than its twin, Spirit.

www.newscientist.com
The rovers landed on Mars in January 2004 with solar cells capable of providing more than 900 watt-hours of electricity per day. Spirit's output has dropped to about 400 watt-hours, partly because Martian dust has caked its solar panels.

Opportunity's output also declined at first - to around 500 watt-hours - but over the past six months it has regained power (New Scientist print edition, 30 October). Lately, its solar cells have been delivering just over 900 watt-hours.

Rover team leader Jim Erickson at NASA's Jet Propulsion Laboratory in Pasadena, California, told New Scientist that a process still not understood has repeatedly removed dust from the solar panels. "These exciting and unexplained cleaning events have kept Opportunity in really great shape," he says.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

It's going to be interesting to see how NASA scientist try to explain this. However I do doubt that Martians would take the time to 'dust' the solar panels off all in the name of science. It's been a while since the 'Opportunity' and 'Spirit' landed on Mars. Thousands of pictures later and still not a morsel of evidence regarding life or previous life on Mars. But as they say, 'Aliens work in mysterious ways'.

[edit on 23-12-2004 by Banshee]

posted on Dec, 23 2004 @ 06:12 PM
link   
Couple of threads on this already in Space exploration Forums..

We were thinking Dust devils, maybe combined with JUST the RIGHT
electrostatic charges...a repulsive force, with some wind...Might just do the trick.

Unless it's the rainy season?

posted on Dec, 23 2004 @ 09:30 PM
link   
thats just wierd how could the power desned then just ascend again maybe theres wind on mars? just we don't know it

but it is and exiting story for women cleaning

posted on Dec, 23 2004 @ 09:41 PM
link   
Anyone see the movie "Red Planet?" Could it be possible that Mars has an Oxygen rich enviroment and we have simply made an error about it's atmosphere...

posted on Dec, 23 2004 @ 09:48 PM
link   
possible but i don't really think mars has oxygen.. but thats my thought i mean i don't even know i just don't reckon

posted on Dec, 24 2004 @ 03:07 AM
link   
The moment there is absolute proof of life on Mars then there's no need to send anymore probes to search for it. That would mean all those people on NASA will have to find alternate employment. So question : Do you announce findings that puts yourself out of a job ? Since scientists have already falsified data in other fields of works e.g. drugs then there is no reason to suppose they wouldn't do it at NASA.

Then there is scientific arrogance which prevents them from admitting they are wrong. Hence why they stick to their "description" of what it's "really" like on Mars. Forget all the fanciful explanations such as electrostatic discharges and dust devil combinations. Think instead of something exceptionally mundane : frost at night which melts in the morning that is cleaning the panels, dead simple but oh the problems that causes for the theorists!. It also makes the ground wet and hence the lovely tyre tracks. So the rover gets dusty in the warmer weather and the power drops then as winter approaches it gets frosty at night and hence auto cleans itself which results in an increase in power.

Anyway I don't believe some of the photos sent back. I know the colouring explanation has been done to death elsewhere in ASTNN but there are still 2 problems for me.

1. When I scan a thin negative with the gamma setting too high the resulting picture has fully saturated magenta (instead of blue) and fully saturated yellow fringes. What a coincidence the same affect on the first colour pictures. Filter responses do not explain the fully saturated magenta and yellows. This is due to over manipulation of the data. NB magenta and yellows should send alarm bells ringing with anyone who has done digital photography.

2. My �100 digital camera with auto white balancing can take better colour pictures in a variety of conditions (yellow tungsten for example) than the millions of pounds of equipment on Mars ! Please do not insult my intelligence by saying that they sent all that equipment up there without any means of taking a good colour picture.

Of course the proof of this is the test pictures taken by the camera here on earth......which are where ? Imagine using the camera here on earth and you end up with a colour picture where the blues are magenta. You then decide "that's good" we'll use it......no frigging way ! Come on all of you have who have fallen for the explanation. The camera is here on Earth you will test the camera by taking pictures of known subjects with known responses and compare the results with your own eyes in full white light. That way you are absolutely guaranteed to have tuned the results correctly. You will have made sure you have a combination of filters that takes true colour pictures so that that blue tape is blue.

So NASA is being economical with the truth. why, I have no idea.

posted on Dec, 24 2004 @ 05:42 AM
link   
seems there is obvious WINDS on Mars........(look @ the dunes)

maybe the Rover was in a much more windy area then the Spirit?...

mabe it was sand blasted for a few moments......?

who really knows?....but I doubt ~'some being'~ cleaned it off........

posted on Dec, 24 2004 @ 06:42 AM
link   
I posted on this the other day...
might want to check it out

www.abovetopsecret.com...'

new topics

top topics

join