It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The 80s is BACK people!

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 31 2015 @ 05:44 PM
link   
Hey ATSers,

I've always been a fan of Jan Hammer and 80s synth wave -- I still listen to a lot of the "old" eighties cheesy stuff today.

However, I've discovered that the genre of 80s synth wave NEVER died, it's just obscure!!

There are LOADS of artists releasing music today that emulate the 80s sound PERFECTLY.

Here are two examples: Please watch the videos and tell me you DIDN'T just get transported back in time.

Amazingly, this artist, Mitch Murder, has managed to capture the moment perfectly; these songs were out in 2014 I believe.

I stumbled upon this from watching the new "Kung Fury" movie which was released on youtube after a successful crowd funding venture.

Mitch Murder features heavily in the movies soundtrack. Check him out.-- And check the movie out too!

posted on May, 31 2015 @ 05:55 PM
link   
When i saw the title i was hoping for

I think i selectively isolate what i wanted of the 80s

posted on May, 31 2015 @ 05:56 PM
link   
a reply to: socketdude

Let me know when the 70's music is BACK, k? 12-31-1979=day the music died. That decade had music at its finest.

But enjoy your 80'S return. To each his/her own.

posted on May, 31 2015 @ 06:03 PM
link   

Sorry I am on my phone waiting on someone so I can't listen just yet to the video you posted but I will later. I've been on a synthwave kick myself. Particularly slasherwave such as Dance With The Dead, Perturbator, GosT or Carpenter Brut.

I missed the eighties but I dig the retro stuff I've been hearing. Good thread!

posted on May, 31 2015 @ 06:05 PM
link   
a reply to: Ultralight

Pink Floyd and Beatles the who a few others I can't think of..

posted on May, 31 2015 @ 06:10 PM
link   
OOOOHHHHHH
NNNNNNNNoooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo.

posted on May, 31 2015 @ 06:12 PM
link   
a reply to: Leprekon

Your point escapes me.

posted on May, 31 2015 @ 06:12 PM
link   
That sort of demands to be Audiosurfed although I think the tempo might be a little slow to be really good.

posted on May, 31 2015 @ 06:13 PM
link   
Has anyone else noticed that we live in an arrested culture?

We've just been recycling the same stuff over and over and over again since the late 1950's.

And people wonder why some of us think pop culture is nothing more than mass social conditioning.

posted on May, 31 2015 @ 06:23 PM
link   

originally posted by: NthOther
Has anyone else noticed that we live in an arrested culture?

We've just been recycling the same stuff over and over and over again since the late 1950's.

And people wonder why some of us think pop culture is nothing more than mass social conditioning.

posted on May, 31 2015 @ 06:27 PM
link   
a reply to: ketsuko

Lego movie (its the same movie as the matrix did you know?) song is so communist

Oh well communism is a big part of the 80s so i guess that is back too

posted on May, 31 2015 @ 06:44 PM
link   

Oh man, Kung Fury is an awesome spoof of crappy 80's movies. Loved it and sent it to my friends... It is so stupid that it is funny..

And the David Hasselhoff video.. LOL

I have to assume nobody else watched it because they would surely comment on it..

edit on 31-5-2015 by infolurker because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 31 2015 @ 08:00 PM
link   
I wish since you guys say everything is being recycled, I wish Country music would leave its' era and go back to the 80s or 90s or even earlier lol.

posted on May, 31 2015 @ 08:04 PM
link   
great thread OP I love 80's synthie's

edit on SunSun, 31 May 2015 20:04:58 -05001PMk000000Sundaypm by Dr1Akula because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 31 2015 @ 08:19 PM
link   

KUNG FURY!!!! YES!!!!

I was just thinking about the brilliance that is Kung Fury!!!! I first saw it a day or two ago, and it is downright EPIC!!!!

posted on Jun, 1 2015 @ 12:11 AM
link   
a reply to: Ultralight

I didn't have one sorry

posted on Jun, 1 2015 @ 08:35 AM
link   
a reply to: Leprekon

No prob. I've made pointless comments myself.

posted on Jun, 5 2015 @ 04:11 PM
link   
Oh man, poor Jan getting grouped with that just isn't right. Our band in the 70's had a mini and micro Moog. I used to love playing with them, fun stuff. Although, I was constantly reminded by band members to stick to the guitar, drum were off limits too.lol

posted on Jun, 9 2015 @ 08:31 PM
link   
Love Mitch Murder.

Synthwave is one of those things you either love or hate. Retro sounding music is great and under appreciated IMO.

posted on Jun, 9 2015 @ 08:36 PM
link   

They were #ty the first time around.

ETA: The decades in my lifetime. 50's. Not born yet but I got all my parents influence from that time. They tell me my first favorite song was:

And a lot of other excellent music they showed me from that time.... Jerry Lee, Chuck Berry, Little Richard, etc.

60's. Well that's convoluted. Music and society. Lots of good stuff. Lots of crapola too.

70's. Admit it. Go on, it's easy. The best confluence of music ever. 69-75 are WOW!

80's? If not for metal and blues a decade of electronic feces.

90's. Interesting. Rock's back. Metal's kicking. AND America got it's version of Punk... Grunge.

Millennial. It's looking good so far. Diggin Stone Sour. Spiderbait. The Black Keys put out what I think is the best rock song since Pearl Jam's Alive:

That's rock and roll folks. As to the 80's... please no.
edit on 9-6-2015 by intrepid because: (no reason given)

top topics

join