It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Why do we wear clothes??

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 31 2015 @ 07:04 PM
link   
As shameless as I am about showing off my penis and body I think clothing is a necessity due to the elements.

posted on May, 31 2015 @ 07:12 PM
link   
●Shame is taught
●The sexual component of nudity wears off when the sight of genitals are commonplace
●People tend to be more health conscious of their silhouette with lack of veneer, without any association to shame
●It's been suggested that repressed sexuality contributes to waning kundalini, giving rise to connection static to the metaphysical.
●In contemporary times, restriction to being nude, lends to the monetization of sex and fetish

posted on May, 31 2015 @ 07:12 PM
link   

originally posted by: StoutBroux
When Noah became drunk and Canaan saw him passed out and naked: "24 And Noah awoke from his wine, and knew what his younger son had done unto him.

Are you sure Canaan only looked? I mean how does a drunk sleeping man wake up and know somebody just looked at him? And why doesn't he say as much? Why does it say he knew what his son did to him?

posted on May, 31 2015 @ 07:13 PM
link   

originally posted by: cooperton

Wouldn't we have evolved mechanisms to deal with these issues?

We have, they are called clothes....
edit on 31-5-2015 by hellobruce because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 31 2015 @ 07:29 PM
link   
a reply to: cooperton

Jesus isn't necessarily talking about physical clothes here.

It is the stripping of one's being that is an integral part of mystical teachings.

It is an interesting thought though, that it might be symbolic of our estrangement with nature.

posted on May, 31 2015 @ 07:36 PM
link   
When my primate hair fell out, I got cold, that's why. And I needed to protect the tender parts. And because we need to support the multi-billion dollar fashion industry for the sake of the economy.

posted on May, 31 2015 @ 07:46 PM
link   

originally posted by: TheLaughingGod

Jesus isn't necessarily talking about physical clothes here.

It is the stripping of one's being that is an integral part of mystical teachings.

It is an interesting thought though, that it might be symbolic of our estrangement with nature.

Clothing are also practical, though. What kind of construction work should a person do while naked? I'm not operating a chainsaw or jackhammer with my stuff dangling around. And what about metalworkers, blacksmiths, glass-makers, or mineworkers, etc? Clothing is an absolute requirement with them for safety purposes. The same goes for most other industrialized jobs.

And I'd really hate to see what happens to a naked person who works with a lot of animals. Farm animals are incredibly strong & unpredictable, and our exteriors are way too fragile to deal with them unprotected. Clothes serve as an extra layer for protection when dealing with them (especially tough denim or leather).

Clothes are also a convenient way to hold many different tools. It would be pretty ridiculous for us to be completely "naked" but wearing a backpack for our equipment, helmets for safety, utility belts for small tools, and sturdy shoes for rough terrain.

posted on May, 31 2015 @ 07:47 PM
link   

originally posted by: angeldoll
When my primate hair fell out, I got cold, that's why.

That goes against natural selection... Why would we devolve like that?

posted on May, 31 2015 @ 08:16 PM
link   
nice thread op
Nudity wasn't always a taboo. In some ancient societies clothes were only used for protection (weather, insects, etc.)

For ex. the civilization of ancient Greece (Hellas), during the Archaic period, had an athletic and cultic aesthetic of nudity which typically included adult and teenage males, but at times also boys, women and girls. The love for beauty had also included the human body, beyond the love for nature, philosophy, the arts etc. The Greek word gymnasium means "a place to train naked". Male athletes competed naked, but most city-states of the time allowed no female participants or even spectators at those events, Sparta being a notable exception.[citation needed]

Nudity in religious ceremonies was also practiced in Greece.
In their culture, depictions of erotic nudity were considered normal. The Greeks were conscious of the exceptional nature of their nudity, noting that "generally in countries which are subject to the barbarians, the custom is held to be dishonourable; loves of youths share the evil repute in which philosophy and naked sports are held, because they are inimical to tyranny;" In both ancient Greece and ancient Rome, public nakedness was also accepted in the context of public bathing.

I've always wondered how our societies would be today and how would we feel about nudity, if none ever teach us to feel ashamed about our naked body?
edit on SunSun, 31 May 2015 20:17:34 -05001PMk000000Sundaypm by Dr1Akula because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 31 2015 @ 08:45 PM
link   
a reply to: Mandroid7

Thanks for that.
I'll be days getting that vision out of my head.

On Topic - Clothes were also worn for protection in battle. Men don't want things swingin' around when there's sharp objects being used. But, if you really want to put your opponent at a disadvantage, fight naked. Most people just can't do it. They'll walk away rather than fight a naked man.

posted on May, 31 2015 @ 08:54 PM
link   
I once talked about this with my friend. I told him if we all walked around naked, it wouldn't be a big deal anymore and we (guys) wouldn't care so much about boobs and stuff. Quick to affirm his own masculinity, he looked at me like I was crazy and said "I would!"

He either didn't get it or was just trying to be funny. I think clothes might cause or at least intensify perversions that lead to rape and pedophilia. Maybe. Who knows? The story in genesis seems to link sin with ashamedness of nakedness, so maybe there is something to it.

posted on May, 31 2015 @ 09:05 PM
link   
We wear clothes because the alien life form we know as life fibers invaded Earth long, long ago. It is their plan that all will wear clothing composed of life fibers and will thus fall under their control.

I thought everyone knew that.
www.imdb.com...

Nudist Beach!

edit on 5/31/2015 by Phage because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 31 2015 @ 09:06 PM
link   
clothes do suck tbh...i wanna walk my dog naked!....im serious! it feels damn good. Its un-natural that there are places the sun never see's. poor skinny winny

posted on May, 31 2015 @ 09:09 PM
link   

Well silly because we came out of the trees and caves.... the elements. We started making our own shelters, and built fires. We didn't need all that fur anymore. We began hunting, and used the hides of the animals we killed to wrap ourselves in. Fur was de-selected, and we grew hair instead.

We then invented the disposable razor, waxing, and the rest is history!
edit on 5/31/2015 by ladyinwaiting because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 31 2015 @ 09:22 PM
link   
a reply to: Phage
Kill La Kill?

What are you watching?

edit on 5/31/2015 by ladyinwaiting because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 31 2015 @ 09:24 PM
link   
a reply to: ladyinwaiting
My daughter made me watch it.
I didn't want to.

posted on May, 31 2015 @ 09:36 PM
link   
a reply to: Phage

uh huh. I guess that's good reason enough. And a daughter? I always thought of you as sitting in a lawn chair on the beach (wearing clothes), with a laptop on your knees, and sand up to your ankles, yelling "you kids get off my beach, and take those little plastic buckets and shovels with you". Maybe not.

posted on May, 31 2015 @ 10:06 PM
link   

originally posted by: 3n19m470
I think clothes might cause or at least intensify perversions that lead to rape and pedophilia. Maybe. Who knows?

that might be true...
Would we as humans have had so much erotic attraction for the naked body, if it was something common in our everyday life's?
Maybe we were naturally meant to be naked... and covering our naked bodies in shame might be unnatural and it might be the reason for some non normal sexual behaviors.
Restrictions usually work contrary to their purpose...

posted on May, 31 2015 @ 11:42 PM
link   

Likely because of sunburn, rain, snow, and bugs.

posted on Jun, 1 2015 @ 12:15 AM
link   

It doesn't go against natural selection at all. When we developed sweat glands over our entire bodies(other hominids like chimpanzee and bonobo for example who are our closest relatives only have sweat glands on the palms of their hands and bottoms of their feet), people with more body hair took longer to cool off via sweating. Those with less body hair cooled off quicker which allowed them to forage for food longer enabling them to more effectively sustain themselves through nourishment which inevitably led to their increased ability to survive longer thereby giving them more opportunities to pass on their genes. The end result being that individuals within a population who had less body hair and could more effectively reproduce passed on more of their genes and more offspring were born with these genes that made them more effective at foraging and reproducing. Also, there is no such thing as DEvolution.

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join