It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The world's first ocean cleaning system will be deployed in 2016

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 31 2015 @ 02:23 PM
link   
a reply to: MrMaybeNot

The whole point is that the ocean life goes right under the floats while the plastic, which is lighter than water, gets caught by the floats. The OP even quoted that particular part from the article.

posted on May, 31 2015 @ 02:27 PM
link   
a reply to: MrMaybeNot

As you can see quoted in the OP, fish and plankton can simply swim and get pulled by the currents beneath the floating booms.

posted on May, 31 2015 @ 02:37 PM
link   
a reply to: Daedal

It is about time something was done about all the junk floating in the sea , I used to walk along the beach everyday with my dog and was amazed at what was washed up on the shore every time i passed

posted on May, 31 2015 @ 02:40 PM
link   
Nice to see such a positive thread, they don't come around too often.

This is brilliant news for our oceans and for us, as without our aquatic life, there would be no life.

posted on May, 31 2015 @ 04:38 PM
link   
Hmm, this Boyan Slat fellow doesn't have a birthplace on wiki either. I don't know how Dutch people speak, but do they all have an accent like him?

Regardless, the lesson to be learned here is, do whatever you want, the Nordics will save us(either directly with their technology, or passing their plan to somebody.)

But let's just pretend nothing's going on, so now, all we have to do is figure out how to avoid nuclear war.
The thing is, I can't really think of a way to avoid nuclear war, except for the Chinese to voluntarily go democratic. Hopefully, the Nordics will stay with us forever

I should also point out that Dutch people are the tallest people on the planet, a remarkable jump, given that I think, they were one of the shortest, pre-industrial revolution.

posted on May, 31 2015 @ 04:42 PM
link   
An excellent thread and topic.
I hope it is this simple.
My comment.
As a former Merchant Marine I have witnessed the disposal of garbage. When I enbarked in the early '90, I was, much to my surprise, ordered to throw it over board, every thing. No questions, no earth friendly suggestions, Nada.
Later we had to collect our garbage close to shore but if we were out in very open sea we just threw it over board.
A fee was gathered for garbage if we had any on arrival to shore, so we were forced to throw it out in open sea.
A very sad situation. How could I oppose my Captain in open sea?
The Merchant Marine and other commercial ships contribute enormious ammounts of pollution to our oceans.

I wish there was a solution. Thumbs Up to who ever collects any of the trash. As a sailor you can't say no.
WIS

posted on May, 31 2015 @ 05:03 PM
link   
Meanwhile, back on land, we've done virtually nothing to change our ways.

No, we'll just keep artificially manipulating nature thinking we're helping.

Why don't we stop creating so much trash and live more harmoniously with nature?

Oh wait, I know--because that would destroy our culture of material consumption.

edit on 5/31/15 by NthOther because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 31 2015 @ 05:23 PM
link   
I'm very happy hearing this.

In the Netherlands supermarket chains are currently trying to abolish deposits on plastic bottles so they can make more money.

The Netherlands have however standardized rules to make this happen.

Up till now the government has not been convinced that we should implement this since the rules have not been met yet.

Let's hope that never happens.

posted on May, 31 2015 @ 05:32 PM
link   
a reply to: vataOsadhi

no packaging supermarket are also contributing to lower the usage of plastics, that otherwise could end up in our oceans. I believe soon we will have one in 2016 ,

Great to see this young man achieve a goal that shamefully could already be done by the big companies who package goods in plastic.

edit on 0b12America/ChicagoSun, 31 May 2015 17:38:12 -0500vAmerica/ChicagoSun, 31 May 2015 17:38:12 -05001 by 0bserver1 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 31 2015 @ 05:35 PM
link   
a reply to: 0bserver1 sounds good

posted on May, 31 2015 @ 05:52 PM
link   
Really,, I thought they had a System for Cleaning the Ocean ... For Years!

Well .. Sort of ..

it just those Machines on converted Tankers sucking up Debries and Crude OIL! ..

Yeah no benifit for Nature

dont yeah Love OIL Companys

Using Oil Spill Model to Clean Up Trash from Oceans
Trevor Curwin,|Special to CNBC.com
Tuesday, 28 Sep 2010 | 12:20 PM ET
www.cnbc.com...

posted on May, 31 2015 @ 06:16 PM
link   

More proof that an unhibited free market would do better at coming up with solutions to problems than government.

posted on May, 31 2015 @ 06:38 PM
link   
Fantastic! I hope more innovations like this come about in the future regarding all aspects of human junk and waste. There's a solution to it all; hopefully we have the time to do it.

posted on May, 31 2015 @ 06:43 PM
link   

No Way! When i had spent all my wages and couldn't afford food, i used to get Euroshoper friets from AlbertHien with my empty coke bottles!

On topic, Iv'e seen loads of talk of this Boylan guy over the past few years but no action, i think he is all hype and no substance but i hope he proves me wrong, really i do.

posted on May, 31 2015 @ 06:59 PM
link   
I've always wondered why couldn't they have something like this and put it into Loch Ness and trap the "Monster," lol.

Cleaning up our oceans, rivers and lakes is something we need to do. It should be one of our top priorities as humans. Another one HAS to be the ability to take salt water and turn it into fresh water for drinking and such. Yes, I know they can do it already, but supposedly it still is very expensive to do so.

The (Fresh) Water Wars are coming. Let's clean them up and make all water available to us all, so they won't come.

posted on May, 31 2015 @ 08:43 PM
link   

posted on May, 31 2015 @ 08:45 PM
link   

originally posted by: Glz00

No Way! When i had spent all my wages and couldn't afford food, i used to get Euroshoper friets from AlbertHien with my empty coke bottles!

On topic, Iv'e seen loads of talk of this Boylan guy over the past few years but no action, i think he is all hype and no substance but i hope he proves me wrong, really i do.

It appears he's got all the hardware and money to go for it, so I expect it to happen.

posted on May, 31 2015 @ 11:03 PM
link   
I looked into this when I saw it last time and the plans then were unreasonable. I applaud their effort and it's good that they investigated the top skimming method, but the feasibility pretty much ends there. At one point they called for a 10,000m x 10,000m floating storage unit to collect the refuse from the automated 'scrubbers'. I posted on the absurdity of this scale maybe half a year ago, so I hope they have revised it since then. For reference, the largest ocean going vessel is 380m x 70m.

At this point, an ocean going version of a bobcat with a mesh bucket would be a better setup.

posted on May, 31 2015 @ 11:59 PM
link   
a reply to: Nodrak

I think the bobcat idea would be ideal in conjunction with this, everything helps. Since there are heavy things out there that float to, like fridges, large fish coolers, plastic cabnets, big tires, small wreaked hulks, large mooring ropes...and the thing is, sort of like when you clean a house its not a one time thing, cleaning is just going to need to be a ongoing process as long as there are people doing things in the ocean (sad to say, but trash that floats is never going away anytime soon).

posted on Jun, 1 2015 @ 01:58 AM
link   
The plastic area at the center of the Pacific, they need to do that one. Fund it as a U.N. program, it's the whole planet's responsibility.

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join