It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The world's first ocean cleaning system will be deployed in 2016

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:
+35 more 
posted on May, 31 2015 @ 10:24 AM
link   
The first operational deployment will be off the coast of Japan and South Korea. Floating debris such as plastic will be caught in the system, virtually posing no threat to aquatic life and a beginning point for clean up of our world's oceans.

Source

The currents pull the sea life under the floatation devices but the lighter-than-water plastics float into the barriers.  What would have taken humanity 70,000 years to clean with boats and nets can be cleaned, instead, in decades.

+10 more 
posted on May, 31 2015 @ 10:36 AM
link   
Thank you Boyan Slat and everyone else that contributed and will contribute in the future.

posted on May, 31 2015 @ 10:46 AM
link   
a reply to: InTheLight

Now they need to be funded permanently somehow. A tax should be placed on all commercial licenses and cruise ticket sales. Yes I said tax. What?

posted on May, 31 2015 @ 10:49 AM
link   

originally posted by: MALBOSIA

Now they need to be funded permanently somehow. A tax should be placed on all commercial licenses and cruise ticket sales. Yes I said tax. What?

I was just thinking the same thing, or rather putting the onus on those that are doing most or all of the littering...a tax is the easiest to implement...willy nilly and it's done.

posted on May, 31 2015 @ 10:54 AM
link   

originally posted by: InTheLight

I was just thinking the same thing, or rather putting the onus on those that are doing most or all of the littering...a tax is the easiest to implement...willy nilly and it's done.

I cannot think of anything worse than the cruises ship industry. Taking that many mindless consumers over something clean is bound to make it dirty. Automatic tax due to inevitable clean-up.

posted on May, 31 2015 @ 10:59 AM
link   

originally posted by: InTheLight

I cannot think of anything worse than the cruises ship industry. Taking that many mindless consumers over something clean is bound to make it dirty. Automatic tax due to inevitable clean-up.

I hope the funding will continue and that with identifying the plastic litter and then linking the study up to the most likely polluters, then can further action be taken against those responsible, and, yes, tax them. Or, perhaps, start off with hefty fines.
edit on 31-5-2015 by InTheLight because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 31 2015 @ 11:07 AM
link   
a reply to: Daedal

living in harmony with nature is best approach
that will help keep ocean clean and natural
manmade chemicals being studied today for side effects

posted on May, 31 2015 @ 11:13 AM
link   
I LOVE this, am sending off to everyone I know. Thank you, had not seen this beautiful young man, what a joy.

posted on May, 31 2015 @ 11:18 AM
link   

posted on May, 31 2015 @ 11:18 AM
link   
Might as well be a kickstarter funded program.
What I mean to say is that I'm curious as to what there result would be with such a cumulative program. There is only a limited amount of trash you can relocate from the ocean to a landfill ...

posted on May, 31 2015 @ 11:22 AM
link   

originally posted by: Gear
Might as well be a kickstarter funded program.
What I mean to say is that I'm curious as to what there result would be with such a cumulative program. There is only a limited amount of trash you can relocate from the ocean to a landfill ...

Actually, they are trying to make oil from reclaimed plastics, so, perhaps this will generate revenue.

Also, the oceans are vast and I think pollution will be continuous, but the extra revenue could be used to then study chemical, radioactivity, etc. There is no lack of pollution in many forms in our oceans.

posted on May, 31 2015 @ 11:34 AM
link   
Some eight million metric tons of plastic waste makes its way into the world’s oceans each year

I remember seeing his first concept surface about 4 or 5 years ago here on ATS. A picture of it was captioned "failure" in the video that you embedded, InTheLight.

I'm so glad to see that he didn't allow all the naysayers to discourage him from pursuing his inner drive to work towards what he feels he can do for the world. I am humbled to this man.

edit on 31-5-2015 by Boomorangatangarang because: one word

posted on May, 31 2015 @ 11:38 AM
link   
This is exciting news! What an amazing young man! I agree to taxing or fining those most responsible.

posted on May, 31 2015 @ 11:56 AM
link   

We are a witness to the next individual to make an impact on the planets maritime heritage and sometime in the near future will take his rightful place in the annals of history - A marine environmental revolutionist in every way, shape and form.

Respect, and yes, I agree that his wonderful idea should be funded by the maritime industry (as a minimum) through the IMO and every vessel operator required to pay a pro-rata levy based upon vessel type and number and associated impact upon the marine environment.

Brilliant, just brilliant (and very exciting).

posted on May, 31 2015 @ 12:02 PM
link   

Now lets hope they recycle the plastic they bring in instead of burying it in a land fill. I'm all for recycling, I just wish we can concentrate on recycling everything. Maybe there's another young genius out there that can solve our land fill and air pollution problems.

posted on May, 31 2015 @ 12:10 PM
link   
It just occurred to me that he was 15 or 16 when an article was first published about his concept design when it was just 3D diagrams.

posted on May, 31 2015 @ 12:12 PM
link   

originally posted by: Boomorangatangarang
It just occurred to me that he was 15 or 16 when an article was first published about his concept design when it was just 3D diagrams.

Maybe that is why he received negativity (failure predictions).

posted on May, 31 2015 @ 12:28 PM
link   

Because he was so young? Sure, there's that prejudice against youth's ability to conceptualize something successful or even revolutionary.
I remember the old articles were quite praising of his idea.

I believe most everyone has at least one thing that comes to them of such significance to the world, even just once in their lives, but was brushed off as fantasy to be forgotten forever.

I have a few such ideas that I want to publish on ATS very soon.

posted on May, 31 2015 @ 12:33 PM
link   

Over a month and a half or so I opened a thread regarding this very same subject. I'm glad they set up a date when to start the cleaning of the oceans.

www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on May, 31 2015 @ 02:06 PM
link   

Hopefully it can detect whether it's removing plastic debris or fishes.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join